Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being as I bought the P-3AT for warm weather carry I needed a way to do that without it being seen, comfortably. Here is what I did.

I bought a GunMate IWB holster first. The model and size for the P-3AT is 21300 00. As it still would be noticed with my shirt tucked in, I just carried the gun in my front pocket. It printed and flopped around in my pocket, and the pocket wear would be a problem in the future. So....after looking at numerous pocket holsters I decided a mod was in order. I cut an appropriate sized piece of plastic out of an 8 lb. powder bottle, 4" X 5 5/8". This size came from a template of the pocket I will use it in the most, Levis Jeans. This plastic is polypropylene or polyethylene (I think). Then I cut a tab to fit the clip slot for the holster.

This pic shows the plastic cut to size with the tab cut, the corners rounded and all edges sanded smooth. I used an X-Acto knife to do the cutting.

This pic shows the tab better.

This pic shows the no print panel, and the GunMate holster with the clip removed.

This pic shows the outside view with the holster installed. This is the side that faces out.

This pic shows the holster installed with the side that goes against your leg.

As the plastic is slippery, you will need to do something to hold the holster in place when you draw. A piece of fabric such as denim, or some abrasive paper, or some velcro, or even double stick tape can be applied to the front side of the panel, and the leg side of the holster to accomplish this. Contact cement works fine for this. Do Not cover the tab as you will want it to slip in the holster. I have not done this for clarification in the pics. Be sure to trim the tab sides for clearance of the stiched seam. Go back and look at the tab pic again. You will see clearance on the sides. Do not cut clearance for the bottom, you will want the tab to "heal" that cut. Make sure you install the cut portion of the tab towards the bottom of the holster so it cannot pull off the panel. You can even form the plastic to fit the curve of your leg with a heat gun or hairdryer, as this plastic is a thermo plastic. Get it hot and form, hold in position until it cools and Viola! That's a little hint on my next project.

As the GunMate is ambidexterous, the panel is also. Other holsters can also be used with this mod, this just happens to be the thinnest one I could find locally, and it's Codura.

I have another idea using only the plastic from the jug to make a totally formed, thin as possible rig. I'll keep you posted on its progress, soon as I get more time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really a "new" guy, have had a P-11 for over a year. But....only had the P-3AT for a couple of weeks. Check out my post on the holster and mag pouch I made for it. Also a sight mod for fiber optics. I have lots of ideas!

Not flooded on the guide rod bushing, but some. As stated earlier I posted for those to DIY. Those that feel they are "tool challenged" have PMed me and I am taking care of them. I would like feed back from those that have done this mod. I now have 400 rounds fired with the bushing and there is NO increase in the size of the hole in the slide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Packer-I thought of that, but the "wear" factor on the pocket might be a problem.  It seems like my pockets develop "thin" spots rather quickly and I didn't want to accelerate the process.  Tabs might also "print" that there is something wrong here as well.  I'm trying to keep it as nondescript as possible.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
There are sheets of material that are sold to hold rugs, place mats, etc in place. It is a thin rubberized mesh type sheet that can be cut into different shapes. When I saw your mod, I thought of this to glue onto the panel, gripping against the pocket fabric to keep the holster in place upon drawing. 8)

G

·
Badman400 said:
There are sheets of material that are sold to hold rugs, place mats, etc in place. It is a thin rubberized mesh type sheet that can be cut into different shapes. When I saw your mod, I thought of this to glue onto the panel, gripping against the pocket fabric to keep the holster in place upon drawing.  8)

Great idea Badman!  The outer material of the Desanti Nemisis of mine is similar to that (texture wise), and the stuf you mentioned is CHEAP!.

You can get it at most dollar stores for.... A DOLLAR!

Look for it in the housewares section.  My wife uses it to line kitchen drawers, and I use it for my tool chest drawers. I recently bought some at LOWES and it was black.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found another use for this no print mod.

As I carry IWB about half of the time, I get a bit sore in the area around the top of the gun on my waist. Putting this mod on the back side of the holster, remember this holster is ambidexterous, the panel protects my waist from irritation. As an added plus it also keeps perspiration away from the slide, whether from direct contact or absorbed by clothing. Just thought you'd like to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.