21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
You used this article to respond to my request of proof of:
  1. 3D printed guns being "non-detectable"
  2. Non-detectable 3D printed guns being "favorites" of hijackers
  3. Non-detectable 3D printed guns being "favorites" of prisoners
Quite frankly, I don't give two brown logs what you asked for.
The article was to show that terrorists, like white supremacists mentioned in the article, ARE using 3D printers. How long till one of the groups hijacks something? Who knows, may have happened already where some of the weapons were 3D printed.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
ah, my mistake. I thought you were saying the competition / advanced R&D on it was all printed now. If you buy all the critical parts, its not really interesting to me.
If they get the metal reliable and inexpensive, I would do my makarov. I can't think of anything simpler unless you do a pirate pistol, it has less parts than most revolvers even.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quite frankly, I don't give two brown logs what you asked for.
Which is why you replied to me in the first place. :rolleyes:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - Hamlet

Reactions: 850sub

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ah, my mistake. I thought you were saying the competition / advanced R&D on it was all printed now. If you buy all the critical parts, its not really interesting to me.
If they get the metal reliable and inexpensive, I would do my makarov. I can't think of anything simpler unless you do a pirate pistol, it has less parts than most revolvers even.
Ah.

Nope. There are a few designs, starting with "The Liberator," which had almost all parts 3D printed, including the barrel. But it uses low-pressure cartridges and has an extremely low life-span. I suspect the accuracy sucks too. :) And even with The Liberator, the firing pin is sourced as a nail.

The problem, as everyone here already has figured out, is that 3D printer resin just isn't good for barrels and other pressure bearing parts. So the Maker community does things like cloning glocks, using barrel liners, and otherwise figuring out ways to source steel parts and reinforcements. Because plastic barrels suck. The Liberator is gigantic for a handgun and it busts quickly. This is what happens when you actually use them:

Now if you want to print a lower for a .22LR AR, it works pretty well. 3D printed 5.56 lowers tend to break. So they 3D print the "frame" (like a glock)

I've also seen some really need 3D print Scorpion EVO stuff coming out. This is my favorite, but, again, lots of steel parts. Just the injection molded parts are replaced with 3D print.

Article Here:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
19 Posts
FDM printed firearms WILL always fail at some point.
Injection molding provides 1 evenly strengthened product, FDM printers are layered and if not fully bonded (which usually throws things out of spec via curing) at some point layer adhesion breaks down and a catastrophic failure (rendering the firearm useless) occurs, sometimes involving injury.
I have 80% polymer and a 3d. The 3d makes a nice statue.

Though I do agree with TZComp, the accessories come out nice.
Hey guys, just a quick comment. I'm retired from the National Laboratory system after 28.5 years. A couple of years before I retired in 2016 I had occasion as a design engineer looking for a way to make some pretty complex helical gears, small ones. But, these gears needed to be extremely rugged so I wound up dealing with a company that custom printed the gears I needed out of a Tungsten alloy. HARD AND TOUGH in the extreme! My point, we have had the ability to 3-D print extremely durable material for years. I certainly don't advocate printing a gun in Tungsten, just letting you all know that there are materials available that far excede any plastic and there are some very impressive plastics.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ah.

Nope. There are a few designs, starting with "The Liberator," which had almost all parts 3D printed, including the barrel. But it uses low-pressure cartridges and has an extremely low life-span. I suspect the accuracy sucks too. :) And even with The Liberator, the firing pin is sourced as a nail.

The problem, as everyone here already has figured out, is that 3D printer resin just isn't good for barrels and other pressure bearing parts. So the Maker community does things like cloning glocks, using barrel liners, and otherwise figuring out ways to source steel parts and reinforcements. Because plastic barrels suck. The Liberator is gigantic for a handgun and it busts quickly. This is what happens when you actually use them:

Now if you want to print a lower for a .22LR AR, it works pretty well. 3D printed 5.56 lowers tend to break. So they 3D print the "frame" (like a glock)

I've also seen some really need 3D print Scorpion EVO stuff coming out. This is my favorite, but, again, lots of steel parts. Just the injection molded parts are replaced with 3D print.

Article Here:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Very good info. You showed the dangerous side, and the cool side. But the cool AWCY really is just printed accessories, which is why I am considering getting a 3D printer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
All we need is some idiots trying to fire a plastic firearm. Just more ammunition (pun intended) for the anti-gunners.

·
Registered
823 Posts
All we need is some idiots trying to fire a plastic firearm. Just more ammunition (pun intended) for the anti-gunners.
There are many things idiots do. Drive on the same street as you and your family while, texting, doing their nails, follow their stocks....... Another favorite pastime they seem to indulge in is excessive breeding. These things are larger concerns than James Bond, assassin, terrorist secret plastic guns.
Any idiots making crappy plastic guns will likely remove themselves from the gene pool helping to reduce those two groups mentioned. ;)

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I would love for anyone to tell me a good legal use for a 3D printed firearm. I can see the use of accessories made with a 3D printer, but a whole plastic weapon?
Because we can. You seem occupied with others safety. Go to a car forum and demand they tell you a good reason to build their own car/motor. Go to an Aviation forum and demand they tell you a good reason why anyone should legally build their own airplane? Don't these poeple know they could get hurt? I'm sure "glad" you're here to protect us. But please go somewhere else...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Because we can. You seem occupied with others safety. Go to a car forum and demand they tell you a good reason to build their own car/motor. Go to an Aviation forum and demand they tell you a good reason why anyone should legally build their own airplane? Don't these poeple know they could get hurt? I'm sure "glad" you're here to protect us. But please go somewhere else...
Let me tell you something. The more accidents the idiots get into, the more bad publicity and more ammo for the anti-gunners to scream about. So yes I care about the safety of morons who could strengthen the screams of the anti-gun group, and only a moron would try to fire a fully 3D printed weapon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't care if I get kicked, you sound like a dickhead. Oh, Pensacola!? Explains it all.
You don't care about others safety. Sounds like you are the type that gives them the ammo they need to go after gun owners.
Not care about others safety...... Glad I do not go to the same range as you.

·
Administrator
32,094 Posts
I dislike locking threads but I dislike members exchanging insults and engaging in name-calling even worse. I should just ban a couple of you and allow others to continue discussing the actual topic. Next time I will.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

Reactions: tx-rvr
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.