Night Sights

Discussion in 'PF-9' started by Shoe, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Shoe

Shoe New Member

May 27, 2010
    Has anyone tried the MTK9 Tritium Night Sights for the PF-9? They look to be close to the original sights in style.

2. bmw4492

bmw4492 New Member

Mar 3, 2015
    SC
    Site states that they're a direct replacement and the few reviews I've seen have been positive. I'd guess they're g2g.

3. GTP

GTP New Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Love mine. Makes the pistol 24/7 by my side- day or night the sites are superb. Install time was all of 5 minutes!

Greer likes this.
  4. baja540

baja540 New Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Lake Texoma, Texas
    Yep, they are well made and I love mine. They are a snap to install. Mine are green, front and back.

Greer likes this.
  5. Squashracquets

Squashracquets Member

Dec 4, 2014
    The web site shows everything out of stock, and seems to say there is a 59 day wait until "new sights arrive." That's 59 days to reach him: your wait will undoubtedly be longer.

--Paul

6. Shoe

Shoe New Member

May 27, 2010
    Since my original post, I received and installed a set. Very easy install. No range report yet. I just checked and the green sights are still available.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  7. armallard

armallard New Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Do you a link to them I would love to put some on mine also.

8. armallard

armallard New Member

Mar 20, 2015
  9. bryanflowers

bryanflowers New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Just a quick question, is there new stock that comes in one the 1st of the month like the sight says? I would love to have night sights but no sure about their availability.

10. Shoe

Shoe New Member

May 27, 2010
    I finally had a chance to try out the sites at the range. I loaded 7+1 and on the last round I lost the front site. :eek: It took about 15 minutes but I found
    the site in the back of me on the floor of the range. Glade I wasn't outdoors. Now I have to figure out the best way to reattach so it won't come off again. :(

11. WPhilB47

WPhilB47 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2013
    RGV, Texas
    How did you (in detail) install the sight ?

12. Shoe

Shoe New Member

May 27, 2010
    I followed the instructions in the video. I probably didn't leave enough plastic on the end of the pins to hold it in place. I have not contacted the vendor to find a solution. I will send an email out to the vendor sometime this weekend to see what options I have. There appears to be a tiny bit of extra plastic remaining on one pin that may help with reinstall. But that may be wishful thinking. I could easily see it happening again. I wish Keltec had used a dovetail front sight.

13. WPhilB47

Jul 19, 2013
    RGV, Texas
    Bummer. Maybe the vendor will take pity on you and make an allowance. If not, maybe the plastic they use on the sights is weldable. It might not be possible or cost effective, but some plastics can be repaired. I've never had that particular failure when installing factory or aftermarket sights. The temptation is to make the job pretty, when the requirement is to leave as much melted material as is possible w/o causing interference.

14. Shoe

Shoe New Member

May 27, 2010
    This is a follow up report. I sent the front sight back to the vendor for resetting the vials in a fresh sight. Instead he sent it back to me for another try at installation. His comments were that I had not melted enough plastic into the holes for a good grip on the slide. I was skeptical but tried again and all is well. I fired enough rounds to get the usual PF-9 soreness between thumb and index finger. The sight is still on there and I am happy. The bottom line is a recommendation.

15. WPhilB47

Jul 19, 2013
    RGV, Texas
    Great news. I'm happy for you. Keep us posted.

16. bryanflowers

bryanflowers New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Ordered my night sights today. Can't wait for them to come in so I can do some low light shooting.

17. tracylorance

tracylorance New Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Sad days are coming, the MTK9 Nights Sights will no longer be produced. The website claims supplier issues. All he has left on his web page is a complete package with night sights, holster and mag carrier. I ordered one yesterday was going to order another with blue rear and green front and he is sold out. He still has packages with green front and rears left.

TnRebel likes this.
  18. mikedawn25

mikedawn25 New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for the heads up! I already have his MTK9 night Sights and holster. It's my every day carry set up. It's a very respectable product. Found none better. If anyone is thinking about it better act fast.

19. TheKuduKing

TheKuduKing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    I didn't find these sights to be of sufficient quality or durabilty. They were made of Delrin, a thermoplastic, and the tritium inserts a glass vial without metal sleeve... doesn't take much to destroy that kind of a light-duty set-up. Installation of the front sight in particular was problematic: the posts were all oversized for several PF9s I tried. The rear sight was blocky and overly large on the pistol, and the resulting sight picture was not good. The sights themselves barely glowed in the darkest of environments. I stopped recommending and installing them. There is no way to make a quality tritium sight without a steel sight to house it.

Having used tritium sights professionally for several decades, there's little doubt that the situations they are useful in, are few and far between. Once you work with them in actual situations, you will find them to be not worth what they are cranked up to be. A set of highly visible sights useful in all situations - light and dark - are far more useful, and can be had for a lot less money. HK does this with their sight systems and it's excellent. For less than $10 you can do almost the same for the PF9 while retaining the factory 3-dot system and sights.

The simpler and much less expensive alternative for a pistol like the PF-9 - which is not an expensive gun to begin with - is to spend less than $10 and buy a bottle of photo-luminescent paint. There are many suppliers online. A little practice with a toothpick and you can dot your sights - and have enough left over to do the sights of every gun you will ever own. A quick exposure for a couple seconds with a flashlight and you have sights that will glow brighter than any tritium sight.

Before the peanut gallery chimes in with "what if I don't have my flashlight", consider why you are shooting in complete darkness to begin with. What you are shooting at? You need to identify a justifiable target before using deadly force, unless a long prison term or expensive civil judgment is something you are hoping for in your future. And if the situation is the most typical type of "reduced light" - meaning street encounters - at the distances the PF9 is useful you will have plenty of light to use your sights with or without "tritium sights".

For most users and uses, tritium sights are a waste of money. Especially so on a pistol like the PF9, and double so when the sights themselves are light duty.

iiatl likes this.