Night sights ???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Dec 25, 2009.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    No, I am not thinking of putting a tritium front sight ;D

I was wondering what you guys are doing to make the front sight more visible in low light.

I was thinking of painting a thin line on the top of the slidr between the ejection port and the front sight.
    I don't know if there is a "glow in the dark" paint ?

2. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    You may consider a laser. I put the Crimson Trace on mine.

Craig

3. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Ditto, on the CT laser, Jim <><

4. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks for the inout, I thought about a laser.
    However, all the "Gurus" in self defense training, that I know, are against laser on a SD weapon.
    Since I am not going to carry this gun very often, I want to keep it simple, inexpensive and light.

5. abuck50

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have never heard anyone say that a laser isn't good for SD! Must be cause they don't have one. Any edge I can get, I want. With the laser, you don't need to find the sights. Where the red spot is, the bullet goes. They are also great for dry fire training. Of course you will need to use snap caps.

Craig

6. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    The people I was referring to teach gun fight professionally; they have their own schools.  I am sure they could have a laser sight if they wanted one; probably for free from the manufacturers  ;)

As far as I remember, the reasoning is that it is a "crutch" and if some reason it doesn't work you are surprised and it costs you a few seconds or fractions of seconds.
    The other reason is that using a laser for training will have you look for the dot and it is slower.

Now these guys can engage 3 targets with 2 COM, 1 head each, in less than 4 seconds at 15 or 20 feet.
    At that rate of fire, I guess they wouldn't have the time to look for the red dot, but it is just a guess.
    I am far from these speeds, it took me 2 years of shooting IDPA to get the SS level !!!

As a pilot, I value standard operating procedures; that's the reason it took me 2 years to decide to carry a non Glock pistol on some occasions; I didn't want manual safeties on my "little gun"; I have shot many thousands of rds in my Glocks in training and competition; any gun I use in SD has to work the same way.  In high stress situation, you revert to your basic level of training.

I have never trained with a laser, I don't have one on my EDC, I don't want one on the P3AT that I will carry less than 10% of the time, or use as a BUG.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing people who use the laser; if it works, more power to them.
    Ii is just not for me.

>>DRINKS<< :)

7. abuck50

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    jfl
    I completely agree about using pistols that have the same safety features. My 2 PD guns are the P3AT and a Glock. Both function about the same. I don't have a laser on my Glock cause of the better sights and I don't carry it as often. It just seems to me that my P3AT really benefited from the CT laser. I was able to improve my trigger pull substantially by watching the laser while dry firing with snap caps. I feel it is quicker to find the dot on the target than to find the sights on my P3AT and then align them on the target. My eyes are not as good as they used to be. I plan on getting a laser for my G22 some day. If you lived nearby I would let you try mine. You might like it. Then again maybe you wouldn't! LOL.

Happy New Year
    Craig

8. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Craig,
    A good vision is certainly a must for accurate shooting.
    Just before I turned 60, I got laser vision surgery.
    Today, 10 years later, I have better than 20/20 distant vision and I can read very small print.
    It did cost me $4000 but worth every penny. I was wearing glasses then contacts for 45 years, what a difference.
    I am a corporate pilot and have to get my medical renewed every year. The "Aviation Medical Examiner" is amazed that I can pass the test at my age without correcting lenses.
    I have recommended the procedure to all my friends, but you have to stay away from the $400 deals; for this you definitely get what you pay for.

Back on topic ... I definitely see what you mean for training; it gives dry firing a new dimension !

Happy new year to you and yours !!!

9. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    jfl

Look in the VIP FAQs section regarding painting your sights. I've painted my sights blaze/neon orange for the front and neon green for the rear. Makes for lining up the sights very fast. Just make sure that you clean the area where you are going to apply the paint. I liked it so well that I painted all of my other guns sights.

Jim

10. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Jim,
    Thanks for the info !
    I did a search on the forum, and now I have an information overload.

Looks like you are happy with what you did. Which paint did you use ?

Thanks

11. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    used the craft paint available from WalMart. Have seen the same paint at other craft stores. The paint is water based but seems to be durable especially after coating with clear finger nail polish. I've since learned that if you do a primer coat of white, the top colors will be better. Put on with a tooth pick. Light multiple coats.

12. Okeechobay

Okeechobay New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    I used Testors Enamel Ultra Bright Fluorescent paint I found at a hobby shop about 2 years ago on my P-32 hard chrome slide sights. While I didn't have the foresight to use a white base (great idea if your slide is blued), the chrome surface apparently served the same purpose to highlight the colors. After cleaning the surface with rubbing alcohol and allowing that to well dry, I used a toothpick to apply the yellow (turned out a slightly greenish yellow) on the rear sight, and orange on the front. Allowed to dry for 12 hours, then used my GF's " Sally Hansen Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top Coat " clear nail polish, which she got at Wallgreen's, over tha paint. Allowed to dry another 12 hours. This combination has turned out to be very long lasting for 2 years even with occasional wipes of the slide with Ballistol and silicone cloth. In good light they really stand out, in dim light or at dusk they are still quite visible, and in total darkness are, well, totally dark.  :D Anyhow, it makes good use of whatever light is available.

13. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ballistol ???
    Is that the stuff that was made in Europe (Germany ?), great for guns but could be used also to cleanse and disinfect minor wounds ?  Where did you get it ???

14. cngraefe

cngraefe New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I picked up some glow in the dark nail polish from Party City 2 years ago. I trimmed the brush down to make it a lot more precise to paint the small sights. It's been on for over a year and hasn't chipped. It does need to be exposed to light to get it to glow, but for $2.99 what do you expect. I also have a CT laser on my P3AT.

15. Okeechobay

Okeechobay New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    jfl, Yes, Ballistol is that same German product you reference. My local gun shop is the only place I've ever seen it on the shelf. However, you can read up on it, and order it, from www.firehawktech.com - I believe they're out of Key West. I use to use Hoppe's #9 and Outer's Oil, but now use Ballistol exclusively as an all-in-one CLP on all my firearms, even my ArmaLite M-15. I've also, per their recommendation, used it to waterproof and protect leather holsters and deck shoes with success, and to protect wood stocks. I've found it will darken leather somewhat, and should not be used on suede. I guess the German army did use it in both world wars as a wound treatment as well as a CLP and leather treatment, and the website says it is still used today in Germany for veterinary purposes as such, but not approved by the FDA here for medicinal purposes. The website has this and much more information. I really like the stuff, even it's somewhat peculiar aroma. Maybe I'll take a hit later on.  :D

16. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks for the info !!!
    From your handle, I am wondering if you are in Okeechobee, FL, about 45 minutes from me.
    If this is the case, can you tell which gun shop you get the "Ballistol" from ?
    Thanks ...

cngraefe
    What color is that nail polish in normal daylight ?
    Thanks ...

17. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    A lot of people use and recommend http://nitesiters.com/ "glow in the dark" applications. They usually get good reviews and I know that the owner/operator is very interested in customer satisfaction.

Yes, there is a "glow in the dark paint." The common recommendation seems to be Glow Inc.'s V10 "Glow Paint." http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=41

It should be noted that NiteSiters claims superior performance to the Glow Paint - http://nitesiters.com/index-8.html.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Okeechobay

Okeechobay New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    jfl: The gun shop is S.E.G. Guns and Ammo in Hobe Sound on the northeast corner of U.S.1 and Pettaway St., about one mile north of Bridge road. Real good folks there. Hobe Sound is about 6 miles north of Jupiter.

19. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks for the info.
    I didn't know of a gun shop in Hobe Sound; we ride pretty often through Hobe Sound when we go to the "Dolphin bar and grill" on the water.
    Happy New Year !!!

20. cngraefe

cngraefe New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It has a off-white color. I'm thinking of re-doing it after masking off the edges to get sharper edges.