NIB P3at doesn't fully chamber rounds?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by saenzrich, Jul 6, 2010.

1. saenzrich

saenzrich New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    I just bought a p3at still brand new with the serial #[email protected]@. I have several pistols that when you rack the slide they will chamber a round no problem (xdsc 9mm, mpa mini mac 9mm, RIA compact-tac 45acp.......). But for some reason with the p3at, when I try to chamber a round (winchester white box) the slide will not fully close. I have to hit the slide with my palm then the round is fully chambered. I know this is not normal....Has anybody experienced this and any way I might be able to prevent this.....I've fully broke it down and lubed it, what else can i do? :-?

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Don't ride the slide closed...pull it back and let it snap forward.

Like a slingshot.

Once it's broken in you won't have that happen any more.

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
  4. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Yep, do a good ol' fluff and buff as noted in the links in the post above.

Also, as already mentioned, pull the slide back, and then it FLY forward into battery.

I've don't the fluff and buff and have put over 150 founds through my P3AT and I still have to let her fly forward.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    What you describe is not terribly unusual, especially with a flat nosed round. With some rounds, you may have to tap the slide to chamber the round as hand cycling does not equate with the gun cycling when fired. So long as it feeds rounds when fired you are fine. It should load if you sling shot the slide properly though, and if not, it should improve after breakin.

6. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Mine did the same thing when it was new.
    I never F&B....I just shot several boxes of ammo thru it.
    After 4 or 5 boxes of ammo...it was flawless.

7. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    As already noted, a good grease on the barrel cam & pin will help.

But another area often overlooked when the grease is applied is the locking surfaces where the barrel locks into the slide as it goes into battery during the feed cycle.

That would be the front of the ejection port, and the front of the larger section of the barrel that locks into the port when the gun is in battery.
    Be sure and grease it too!

rc

8. saenzrich

saenzrich New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Thank ya'll for all the input, its greatly appreciated will do the F&B and oil the necessary areas I'm sure once it has been broke in, as noted this should go away. Thanks again. :cool:

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  10. Follow all of the suggestions above, and after a few hundred down range you will be seeing your 3AT cycle as easily as mine does.

Be sure to note GREASE is very beneficial.

[​IMG]

11. olddoc

olddoc New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    My P3AT, which I have had several years and probably has about 100-120 rounds through it does the same thing. First round hangs up on feed ramp and I have to hit the back of the slide. This is with ball ammo. After that everything is fine. Zero problems but in attempting to polish feed ramp, I noticed that angle of feed ramp is not straight. About half way up the ramp, there is a ridge at which point the ramp changes angle slightly. In all the fluff and buff articles I have read, this ridge is not mentioned so I'm wondering if it is supposed to be there.