Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bro in law sold me his pistol that he said had only ever been fired 20 or 30 rounds and the the gun came with the rest of the original unfired shells in the 50 qty box.

I just spent about 5 hours reading past posts here ( whew !) to get an idea  ( would be great if the real meaty posts could be somehow be extracted from all the noise ) of what is going on with the pistol.

I saw the list of differences when they switched over to the 2nd gen pistol but I never saw explanations as to why.   There usually are two reasons.  Improve the function or fix flaws, or decrease cost of manufacturing... while not necessarily improving the weapon and quite often decreasing the function in the interest of lower costs or higher profits etc.    Well I dont know what to think about my new 1st gen gun.   Was it flawed, or is the 2nd gen just cheaper to make or perhaps more pleasing in it's appearance ?

I have to make a decision about these things as for security purposes. I want whatever has wound up being the most reliable.  I dont care about difficulty of disassembly.  I only care about reliability. If the 2nd gen has proven after many thousands of pistols delivered to be the better performer, then I wll sell mine and get a new one.

What is needed is to hear from guys who have owned both models and shot both a lot over the years that can and have truly compared.
What say you guys ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I mentioned spending about five hours reading all the history on two different Keltec Forums..... I seem to recall something about cutting the feed ramps but I have no idea where I saw it.  Hopefully there were instructions and explanations etc.  and PICTURES !

I plan only to shoot FMJ bullets as I do NOT want any expansion. I want to be assured of max penetration.  If I can find some +P FMJ loads I will see of they feed reliably, if not I will still with regular power FMJ loads.   I noted that the UMC Remington rounds were among the friendliest but I do not recall reading which +P source has a good record of feeding.   I would like to try first Buffalo Bore's hard cast round ball load in the +P category as that is the most powerful 380 round on the market.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127
This hard cast bullet of 100 grains shows actual testing by the company in the Keltec.

I can see that the meplat of the bullet has the same shape as a hollow point so might not have as reliable feeding as a nicely rounded tip Jacketed bullet.

HOWEVER, Keltec's FMJ jacketed bullet of 95 grains still has the flat tipped profile.  
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=128
I guess I will just have to try them and see.

I do plan to keep a thin coat of grease on the feed ramp when carrying concealed.  (applied by Q-tip) I would polish it to be very smooth  and cut it too if I can find the directions on how and if there is sufficient agreement that cutting the feed ramp is wise.  I know more than one gun that has been ruined by well meaning owners and their dremel tools  Ha !

I'd like to ask this, is there any part or component that KelTec as a company would want to exchange or upgrade on my Jan 2005 production pistol if I sent it back to them ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts