Newbies (and Oldbies) Please Read

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by adamsesq, Jul 23, 2008.

1. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I am not a moderator around here and I hold no "power" within this community. *But I have been around long enough to learn a few things. *Let me share them with you so that you may more quickly come to appreciate our community, or choose that it is not for you. *These are my opinions only and mean nothing, unless you choose to let them mean something to you; but I happen to think they are pretty solidly based. *

This is NOT like any other forum I am aware of on the internet. *I have used the word community a couple of times and I truly mean it. *I have previously used the metaphor of this being a neighborhood "sandbox." *We are like a bunch of kids in a neighborhood playing together in the local sandbox. *In our case, the neighborhood is world wide but we still have a common thread, and that is our interest in KTs. *But the relationships that exist on this board go much deeper than just KTs.

Like any other community, we have a few unspoken (unwritten) social rules that control how we operate. *You can read about the official rules which include "be nice." *But it's more than that. *Don't come running in here and showing off how much you know (or don't as the case may be.) *The loud mouth arrogance that is so common on other boards doesn't get very far here. *And especially do not come in here running around telling us how you have a "right" to free speech, your opinion, or ??? *This is NOT the government, it is a private place that you have been invited to join. *Invitations are freely given to the public at large but can just as quickly be withdrawn. *You have no "rights" here other than what the owners choose to let you have. *

We have many MANY different viewpoints and come from across the political spectrums, but we all get along and treat each other with respect. *We have chosen to travel across the country to shoot with and socialize with each other. *We have even been known to support each other emotionally and financially through life's hard times. *We treat each other right. *We back each other up, choosing to not let people who have treated our members well be bad mouthed by newcomers, and also choosing to block out people who have not treated our members well. *Think twice before coming in and saying anything negative about anyone. *

Yes, there are some "rivalries" that end up happening every now and then between some of the "old dogs" and they work themselves out so don't jump in the middle of them. *If there are multiple ways to take a comment and one of them is good and joking and the other mean and malicious, take it the first way. We tease, we jab and we joust in fun. *We have a multiplicity of opinions and they do not always agree, yet we are not afraid to stand up for our own. *But whatever we do, we don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet because we are proud of the way we act. *If you wouldn't say something in your next door neighbor's living room during a neighborhood party, please don't say it here.

If you really want to become a long term, welcomed member and get the most out of KTOG, I suggest you follow the advice grandma has always given you - use those two ears God gave you twice as much as that one mouth. *Observe a while before becoming the center of attention. *

Just my $.02 worth, take it however you want. *I would have put this in the Counter where it probably belongs, but that would have made it so a lot of people that I think need to read it would not have the opportunity to do so when it might help them the most. *Any mods, feel free to move as you feel necessary.

-Scott

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013

2. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
  3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    A big +1 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    I'm a "newbie" and totally agree. I have been reading this board since buying my P-11 several years ago and only recently joined. Many times I question myself before making a reply to a post just to be sure that the reply is one that is on topic and not made in an inflammatory way...

John

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Glad you finally took the plunge and registered. ;)

6. dman1047

dman1047 New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Just another newbie here, but the advice you gave is what you would hope for anywhere. I know it does not always happen this way, but should. You have put this in a straight forward manner that leaves little room for error. Sure it was spelled out in the rules, but most people don't follow rules, it's good to see everyone is held to standards and are responsible for their actions. I have enjoyed reading this forum for sometime before I joined, picking up two KT's in the morning. Thanks again, Doug

7. timbermart

timbermart Active Member

Apr 24, 2007
    A good message for us all. Thanks for posting this.

8. dawghowse

dawghowse Active Member

Dec 4, 2008
    SW Florida
    I thought I would introduce myself. I am a very satisfied KEL-TEC owner (I own a few) and have been reading this site as a guest for a while. After reading the last few days on here I too thought it was about time for me to get registered and participate. Thanks for having me.

Dawghowse

9. fueliebob

fueliebob New Member

Aug 7, 2006
  10. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Great post. Thanks for taking the time to set "common sense" down in writing. Way too many people don't excersize "common sense' in their writing or their lives. A good reminder.

11. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Good advice. I have been a gun owner my entire life, my first gun was a 20 ga double barrel shotgun given to me the day before I was born. I still have that shotgun 50 years later and hope to pass it down someday to someone special. I enjoy coming here and talking with others that have common interests and truly enjoy the friendly folks here.

12. buck1032

buck1032 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    TN
    Adam,
    Very well "said". I am new here and have been lurking to get a feel of the place. With that said, I just finished reading the Counter board. Yes thats right, for the past week and a half I have viewed every single thread. I didnt read every single one, just the ones that I thought might interest me. Along the way I have seen where there were some "interesting" things happen over there the past few years. Maybe one day I'll get past lurking status and post enough to join in over there. But most of all I dont want to become a "post wh**e" just to join in.

Buck

13. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Guest

Good advice in any situation. Now back to lurking!

14. ritepath

ritepath New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    As a member of 20 or more forums and over 100k posts all over the internet(s) learning a forum is the first thing us noobies have to do....To become an established and respected member for the most part you have to play by each forums "unwritten" rules or you'll never be accepted even when you have 5k of posts.

I'm a forum junkie and can't get enough...just do a search for RP and you'll see I've been around.

15. Roadking-1

Roadking-1 New Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Just shot my new sub 2000 OMG I love this gun!
    Thats 3 Kel-Tec's so far P-11, P3at, and now the 2000 next a Plr16.
    Its a Kel-Tec love fest LOL
    Keep up the good work
    Steve in Tn.

16. Loganspawn

Loganspawn New Member

Apr 21, 2009
     "If you wouldn't say something in your next door neighbor's living room during a neighborhood party, please don't say it here"

Nice statement but the problem is around my neiborhood I think I am the only one who will say something to a neighbor the rest of the people just hide their heads in the sand or call the police. I believe in being honest with people seams it is a lost art. Yes Yes Yes everybody has and is entitled to their own opinions. Thats why I served and fought. Sometimes facts are facts and yes things can be right/wrong black and white. If you tell something to someone and they dont digest it oh well. I think this is a great site and have not noticed trash talk and I am sure the admins can and will deal with it.

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome Log. While I mostly agree with what you say, what really is the lost art is knowing when to keep one's mouth shut. Just because something is the truth doesn't necessarily mean it neads to be said. My neighbor is fat and ugly and that is honest* but that doesn't mean I need to tell her that.

-Scott

* not really, but I am making a point

18. madFive

madFive New Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Yes, it is always nice to find an online community where people treat eachother like family and it doesn't feel like a total war zone. I'm also a complete forum junkie and generally join a forum for a given topic whenever I identify an area of my knowledge that is lacking: best way to learn and grow interactively while meeting new people and sharing your own knowledge. Out of the dozens of forums I've been through, this is maybe the third or fourth I've ever come across that had such a great close-knit atmosphere.

19. c0wbois_girl

c0wbois_girl New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Excellent post- thanks :)