newbie to kt and the forum

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by eeldive, Jan 21, 2008.

1. eeldive

eeldive New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    I bought a p3at a few days ago and immediately took it to the range. The gun seemed to have some problems ejecting spent cartridges. I was immediately disappointed and started to believe some of the nay-sayers who bag on Kel-Tech, (or at least the p3at) like it’s their job. I took the gun home and started looking at the function of the slide in relation to the magazine and I figured out what was happening. I’m sure this is no news to most of you folks but I hadn’t experienced it before so here it goes. I had bought a “pinky extension” for the magazine when I bought the gun. This was NOT the one-round extension sold by Kel-Tec but a magazine extension sold by an accessory manufacturer. This mag. extension was causing the mag. to tilt forward just a bit when I gripped the gun and the fresh rounds loaded just a bit wrong and did not engage the extractor correctly. Once I removed the extension and replaced it with the manufacturer’s part the gun fired like a champ! What an impressive little gun. Not one for plinking but a well built machine for the intended purpose. Lesson learned! Thanks for the site.

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Actually, that is not an OEM part.  KT now sells those Scherer mag extensions.

eeldive:  Depending upon you hand size and shape, sometimes the hooked mag extensions don't work for everyone.  What we have also seen with them is that the added downward pressure can pop the mag catch loose.  OF couse that drops the mag enough to stop function.  I'm guessing, but for your particular problem, shimming the mag well may help.  JFB has done something similar in his P3 to position the mag differently.  You could also try the KT +1 extension which does not have the hook on it.  Or you can continue to shoot ala na-tu-ral.  I agree that these are not plinking or target pistols, but for their intended purpose, nothing much comes close.  :cool:

4. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Sorry TX! Didn't mean to be misleading, but I genuinely thought that Kel-Tec made those. Do they not make the +1 extensions as well?

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, KT just started stocking those Scherer extensions recently.  They are pretty much copies of the Bersa extensions that also fit the P3s, as do the NAA extensions.  I forget who makes the +1s for the P3 and P11, along with the P11 mag extensions and the S&W mag spacers, but Mecgar makes the mags for the P3s and the P11.  They may make those other parts too.  I don't think KT makes any of that stuff.

6. Barkbuster

Barkbuster New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Hi, this is my first post . I bought a p-3at new today and put 75 rounds through it this evening. It worked perfectly. It feels a little more harsh on my hand than my compact 45 acp , but I'm not planning on doing a lot of target practice with it anyway. I think you're going to like the p-3at ,[me too] as everyone I have talked to that owns one has nothing but praise for it.

7. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    I shoot wearing Levis and a shirt or jacket. Shooting "ala na-tu-ral" may let some hot ejected brass land where you don't want it................. ::)

wyo-man

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, kinda cold too up there now, huh?  ;D

9. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    'twas -15 degrees this morning. And -33 degrees at Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone National Park........

wyo-man

10. Doc_S

Doc_S New Member

Brrrr!!!
    Brrrrriiiiii!!!!
    Brrrriiiisssskkkkk!!!!!!! ;D

Welcome to KTOG eeldive and Barkbuster!!!

God Bless,
    Doc S

11. WOW wyo-man... I am impressed...  my 3AT brass usually end at least one or two Parishes (uuhmm counties) over.

You must have a uhm... :-[ ... well you know...... uhm...welll a.....hmmmm...  that reaches 3 counties over?  

Mitch... Soon to be former KTOGER who sometimes can not resist!   ;D

12. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006

WOW wyo-man... I am impressed...  my 3AT brass usually end at least one or two Parishes (uuhmm counties) over.

You must have a uhm... :-[ ... well you know...... uhm...welll a.....hmmmm...  that reaches 3 counties over?  

Mitch... Soon to be former KTOGER who sometimes can not resist!   ;D[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

wyo-man