Newbie to KelTec

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by trainbrainmike, Jul 13, 2009.

1. trainbrainmike

trainbrainmike New Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I am Army retired, after 30 years, so I am not new to shooting, having carried a refurbed 1911-A1 from the Augusta Arsenal that has a 5 digit serial number, starting with 12xxx. I loved the 1911, and will probably be buried with it, but became concerned with the banging from frequent shooting.

Soooo, I bought a Glock 30 SF, as 45 ACP is my round of choice. Yep, once I got used to a very different feel with the Glock, I love it also.

But then, I realized that concealed carry is a problem with the block like shape of the piece, along with my middle aged spread.

Soooo, then I saw some info about the Kel-tec P3AT on a Glock forum, and started looking for one, and managed to buy one from EBay that the guy admitted carrying for year AND NEVER FIRING! Yep, this is a subject for another thread, but how does one carry a piece they have never fired! I can see it now, "please mister badman, let me read the instructions and get right back with you".... :eek:

I read the pieces about 'fluff and buff', did these things, especially the ramp polish, and test fired the piece today, even using Serbian ammo, along with MagTech, and it fed through like butter,, no FTF's, nothing...just smooth as silk. I love this gun!

IF there was one criticism it is the small space in front of the trigger that bangs my finger up pretty bad with the recoil, so I just wore a bandaid for padding and went through a box of 50 rounds, and with the current ammo shortage decided it was "broken in" enough.

I usually reload my own rounds, but am a little concerned that 380 ammo may be harder than the 45 ACP or 38 special I do now as it is smaller, thinner brass, but I would be open to advice from more experienced folks.

As a newbie to this forum, I will risk being censored for saying that with the folks our POTUS is nominating, we may be in for a long hard ride as far as gun ownership is concerned.

TBM

2. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I'm just waiting for my primers to get started with my reloading .380's I don't think it will be very hard. I'll use the Lee Turett press and use a funnel to pour powder through the die to load, should go well. Good luck. Tom :)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Thank you for your Service and Welcome to KTOG

4. trainbrainmike

Jul 13, 2009
    What powder, what grains? What bullet source, plated, cast, jacketed? I am also a lee 4 hole turret user, with the auto disc system...what hole number do you use?

Also, is there a place where serial numbers for the P3AT can be looked up for year of manufacture and generation?

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The best we have would be in this post from years back when we were trying to decypher KT's numbering
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1143766924/0#0

From this post here is the only list on this site
    However a call to KT and they will gladly give you that information. while you are on the line, you might want to get a few spare parts like springs and extractor screw.

6. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Welcome to the forum, I also like the 1911 45acp, but was to hard to conceal so I picked up a Taurus PT145 it worked real well when it was cooler but in the hot weather was just to hard to conceal with shorts and a T so started looking and picked up the P3AT. I don't leave the house with out it. Very easy to conceal.
    Thank You for your service, I have a son in Afganistan and a daughter in Germany all in the Air Force.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    [From a former Marine]... WELCOME ABOARD!

If it weren't for the P3AT or something very close to it I'd only be carrying (Glock 26) on weekends. P3AT either in front pocket or very close by almost 7x24.

My brother does reloads for me. In .380 got both 90 gr. RN and 100 gr. FN in fornt of something like 3.2-3.4 gr. of Unique.

Take care...

8. trainbrainmike

Jul 13, 2009
    I recently read that it is best to 'always carry', as to only carry when you think you'll need it is like only taking your car's spare tire and jack along "when you think you'll need it". Makes a lot of sense to me...that's why I got the P3AT in the first place.

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I recently read that it is best to 'always carry', as to only carry when you think you'll need it is like only taking your car's spare tire and jack along "when you think you'll need it". Makes a lot of sense to me...that's why I got the P3AT in the first place.[/quote]
    +1 My wife and I are always armed. My kids know this and know that they have little worry about because we are armed 24/7, 365. I wasn't a Boy Scout but I've adopted their motto. :)

10. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Welcome to the forum, Mike.