Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just want to share a newbie report.

took my new blued p3at second gen out today with positive results. estimated 60+ rounds with one ftf during the first 6 rounds. during i was shooting slowly and limp wristing may have been an issue. after i did a lot of rapid firing had no problems. as fast as i could pull. the jam occured with independence ammo, i also used american eagle and fiochi, all fmj. also the jam was easily fixed.

as a matter of fact i had two glocks do the same ftf, and i shot them a lot less than the keltec. 1 may have been due to a aftermarket +2 ext mag. and the other is a 27 and sometimes hard to hold on to.

i see no signs of any peening, hopefully none will come after i break a few 100 rounds..

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just a small addition. when all apart i noticed the gun was filthy compared to the glocks. i suspect if you shoot it for 100's of rounds without cleaning this may cause a failure.

also the gun left a small cut at the end of my thum finger due to the kick. but of corse i loved shooting it. the p3at may just be my favorite gun, so i hope this doesnt sound too negative.

only complaints i can think of is the long trigger pull and the fact that i dont want to leave it loaded because i cant find spare springs. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pss.

i make it a habit to break down and clean all my guns often, the p3at more so due to being a pocket pistol. so just want to mention to was cleaned often, and even the day before going out. nothing else was done, other than a clip installation. i make sure the rail is well oiled using corrosionx. ok thats all hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
mini14556 said:
only complaints i can think of is the long trigger pull and the fact that i dont want to leave it loaded because i cant find spare springs. :(
The learned ones here have informed me that keeping a magazine always loaded has nothing to do with the spring's life. I'm told the constant load-unload routine is counterproductive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i actually meant the firing spring inside the gun when left loaded.. but you could say the same statement about the springs inside the gun vs mag springs.

i've looked into this a littke, seems everyone has different opionions.. im affraid this may be wishfull thinking, i've seen mag springs 'break in' when being left loaded. i've even heard its good to leave 1 bullet unloaded from mags to prolong life.

eventually i plan to call keltec and beg for spare parts or just lie to them... they really should allow you to order them from their website.

thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have a mag that has been loaded since early 2004,
check function 2X a month, never a failure.
It's a CZ mag made by MecGar, same OEM as KT.

Welcome to the club :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
burley said:
There is no spring in this gun that sits different loaded/unloaded except magazines spring and it won't be harmed by leaving loaded.
thanks! *click* *click* 8)

also thanks for the welcome, i've learked for about a month but never felt the need to post until trying it out.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Opps , forgot to welcome you. Glad to see ya on here. And yes , these things do like to be cleaned ( I try to every 50 rounds) and they like to be lubed, keep it pretty heavy durring the first 2-300 rounds. Good luck :)

G

·
mini14556 said:
... when all apart i noticed the gun was filthy .... i suspect if you shoot it for 100's of rounds without cleaning this may cause a failure... i dont want to leave it loaded because i cant find spare springs. :(
Welcome mini 14... Glad to have you onboard!

As noted already... absolutley no need to worry about the firing pin spring breaking or wearing out because the gun is left loaded. (Of course you are keeping it safe from kids etc...)

I hope you will consider a serious Fuff and Buff before you shoot again, and alot of folks here suggest GREASE on the rails and the hammer spur.

Fluff and Buff tools:

For those that think this is not needed, look at the trash in the middle of this picture. It all came out of the brand new gun. (Except the silver fibers, they are from stainless steel wool that I ran through the barrel.) Of course, if you do not have the confidence that you can safely take the gun down like this and put it back together, you probably should not try it.

Here are some links:

new gun prep
http://1bad69.com/keltec/newgunprep.htm

==================
lubrication hints/tips
http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#Lubrication

==================
removing the frame video by Beach

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]
======================
golden loki fluff and buff

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep2.htm

=============
==================
dissambly

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

BTW……..here are the twins:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks all for the welcome, the people here seem very helpfull.

im not sure sure about the fluff and buff, mainly because i feel like so far its performed good.. i noticed pulling the action back is still very tight and i found myself slipping when trying to load it. should it be breaking in or should i expect it to be tight for awhile?

im jealous when i seen how far you got in breaking down your keltec, im convinced i want to learn how to do that. :eek: thanks for the links.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all for the welcome, the people here seem very helpfull.

im not sure sure about the fluff and buff, mainly because i feel like so far its performed good.. i noticed pulling the action back is still very tight and i found myself slipping when trying to load it. should it be breaking in or should i expect it to be tight for awhile?

im jealous when i seen how far you got in breaking down your keltec, im convinced i want to learn how to do that. :eek: thanks for the links.

G

·
mini14556 said:
im jealous when i seen how far you got in breaking down your keltec, im convinced i want to learn how to do that.  :eek: thanks for the links.
The way I learned to do it.... was just doing it!

I followed tips and links and instruction given on this board!

That is one reason I bought the gun! The do-it yourself kinda of idea.

I have yet to break anything that I could not fix. I will be porting one as soon as I get my first slide and a new barell back from Kel-Tec.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.