Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I finally got to try out my new toy.

In my checkered past I pretty much shot only long guns and revolvers. We farm, kinda, and my old Stevens single-shot .22 has done most of the work, including taking out marauding raccoons around the henhouse. My dad had found it, broken, along the track, working as a lineman, and re-blued it and stocked it for my nine-year old shoulder. What dads are for!! 8) He also gave me decades later, as a memento, his Schmidt .357 single-action cannon.

I can shoot that, but if I strap it on I'll walk in circles, like the girl in True Grit.

I've run into a few situations and decided it was time to get my CHL, so I did, and went to the gun show -- I admit I was looking for a Bersa Thunder, but all they had were blues, and I fell in love with a K-T chrome slide ... and am now the proud owner of a J-series P-3AT.

Women have the reputation of not liking this gun after they shoot it, but I was curious to see if it would work for me; I need small, but a .32 seems a little too marginal. I think it helps that I'm kinda strong -- fought forest fires in the 80s -- no, I'm not young. :p

So, yes, I've now shot a box. a. If I pull back with my left hand on my right hand while pushing the right forward, there,s not too much flip. b. I shot Win 88gr FMJ to start with. c. NO FTFs or FTEs. d. I DID hit the paper BG, but mostly low and to the right. He took 1 hit to the chest, 1 to the left shoulder, and was gutshot five times with my first magazine.

I think I'll call her Gutshot Gertie, what d'ya think?

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes. welcome. The P3AT fills a much needed niche in the market place, a small, lightweight, EASILY concealed 380. This is the only one out there to fill that bill.

Have fun with your new toy.
Be safe,
Dave

·
Registered
562 Posts
risabee, I can relate to a "checkered past" and to having been raised on a farm. Sounds like you're off to a great start with your 3-AT. Welcome, stay safe, and enjoy.

Two things: (1) Got problems or questions? Just ask 'em. There are folks on this forum know these little guns inside and out. (2) Uh, these things are addictive and, well, they tend to mulitiply! ;D

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Welcome to KTOG risabee! That was a very nice post. I've spent some time around a farm myself and it's good living.

Accuracy tips:

Use just the TIP of your trigger finger.

You might find that the trigger snap causes the muzzle to wander and might cause it to shoot low.

Practice shooting snap caps until the muzzle does not move at trigger break. After a few hundred shots, you will be amazed at the accuracy improvement.

A trigger stop may be helpful to you by cushioning the trigger snap. Here is a simple one to make:

Easy trigger stop for P-11, PF-9 and P3AT:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=101;action=display;num=1152892678

Start shooting from a close distance (10 feet to 5 yards) and see where your shots are falling. As your shot placement gets better, move back a few yards at a time.

If your range does not allow you to shoot this close--Temporarily use a bigger target.

You will improve with practice.

Packer

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
risabee said:
If I pull back with my left hand on my right hand while pushing the right forward, there,s not too much flip.
Install finger extensions on your extra magazines and you can shoot that baby with one hand. No one should have to drop their hamburger to dispense with a BG ;D

(click photo to enlarge)

Wilson – who’s always happy to hear of another hard chrome P-3AT and Gertie is good :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, everybody! I lurked here until I felt I could own this little beastie, so you've all already advised me more than you know. Wonderful buncha folks!

Wilson, I've been admiring those in your icon. One of them is from a Bersa? Me want.

I suspected that LOOONG trigger pull in the low shooting. I can drive nails with my Taurus .22 mag, even with the 10 lbs. plus DA, but this marathon hike from hot to shot is new for me! I will try the finger tip and build a trigger stop.

Next: field strip, inspect, clean.

There was no manual in the zipper bag, just the P3, magazine, and a padlock. So, next stop is K-T to download the PDF, yes?

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
risabee said:
So, next stop is K-T to download the PDF, yes?
Not extrememly helpful (except for the parts blowup) but nice to have. Its there. I'd also call KT and ask them to mail you one so you have an original in your box should you ever want to sell it.

-Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to piggyback but I also had a question on the Bersa finger extension. Where did you get them in gray Wilson?

My new P3AT in blued/gray is on its way and I'd like to have things match. Can't wait to get it broken in so I can send it off to get the slide done!

Thanks!
hiaxis

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
hiaxis said:
Where did you get them in gray Wilson?
These magazine extensions were refinished in DuraCoat. You will also note frame pins, magazine release, even the aluminum-frame along with other parts also match. Gray Ghost (wife names all pistols that are personalized) started out as hard chrome with gray grip but the wife doesn’t like three toned guns (black parts). To make sure all parts matched; we even had the gray grip refinished in gray.

Wilson – who’s just happy his wife didn’t notice the last few P-3ATs he acquired :)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Sir? Who me? My daddy was a sir. ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.