newbie checking in

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by joje, Nov 1, 2007.

1. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    hi all,

ive been lurking around for a few months. finally got my HC p3at for birthday. wifey paid $265 + tax and managed to get a box of ammo included. only shot it twice so far, the included 50 rounds of wwb (flatnose stuff) with no failures despite limpwristing, shoting upside down, rapid fire etc. quite accurate too - palm size 5-shot groups at 15 yards is only marginally worse than i do with my glock 19. unfortunately my POI os about 2 inches of POA at that distance but obviously irrelevant given its intended purpose.

i got a question about the trigger pull. during the first 20% of the pull its quite nasty and gritty. after that its very smooth (although long :)). are they all gritty during the beginning of the pull? is there anything that can be done about it?

2. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    You got a good price!!

Did you clean it before shooting?? Don't know about the "gritty" nature of the pull unless there was some foreign substance involved. I recommend a good cleaning and then shooting it again. If it stays gritty, you may need to call Kel Tec.

3. FLA2760

FLA2760 Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Welcome to our forum and great range report.  :cool: +1 on the good price!

4. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I was distracted, early on, by a sense of something grinding, much as you describe, during trigger pull, also I have had issues with the long pull and with localized sting on the trigger finger from the "snappy" recoil. All this appears to have been tamed by the addition of tubing borrwed from a stethoscope, as shown. It doesn't seem to count as much for a trigger stop, yet it works well for me...

[​IMG]

Welcome to KTOG.

5. Search the site for Fluff and Buff informtaion.

6. raybsc

raybsc New Member Supporter

Oct 9, 2006
  7. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    thanks for all the good replies! truth is that while i did read up on and was planning to do f&b prior to getting the gun i never did any since looking at the parts to be fluffed they seemed perfectly fine to me.

as for the gritty trigger pull, it seems to me that it happens because the hammer, which is off-center to the left, is touching the left side of the slide during the beginning of the pull. as soon as it clears the slide the pull becomes nice and smooth. also, when i (partially) pull the trigger with the slide removed it is smooth from the beginning. i guess i could try polishing the left side of the hammer and the and area its contacting on the slide, but i at this point i'm mostly curious if the hammer is supposed to be off-center and if touching the slide is normal. i should have been more specific in my first post :)

8. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    tubing from a stethoscope, nice idear, don`t have one though. Wonder what else might work as well?

9. onefunzr2

onefunzr2 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Automotive vacuum hose, perhaps?