(Newbie) Charging handle keeps falling out at the range

Discussion in 'SU-16' started by su16jay, Dec 12, 2019.

1. su16jay

su16jay Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Hi everyone
    My su16 charging handle keeps falling out at the range. after every magazine I have to look for it on the ground after I shoot .... I’ve only had 3 range trips with it so far, and every time I have the same issue. Is there a trick to getting it to retain ?? If any one has a solution it would be appreciated ( pics too)
    Thanks in advance

2. A_Brutal_Potato

A_Brutal_Potato Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Yikes! May be a dumb question, but have you disassembled it yet? Mine only lets the handle come out after I twist the gas tube for disassembly so that the notch can feed backward into the receiver. Basically the handle should only come out after the bolt "drops" a half centimeter or so, which should only occur if the bolt travels back really far.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019

3. su16jay

su16jay Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Yes I have disassembled it twice for cleaning
    So what you are saying is it should not come out after it’s assembled then..... hmmm mine comes out
    And the notch should be facing the muzzle end or but stock end ??
    And should be put in before the whole bolt carrier group is fully installed ???
    Sorry for the questions but I’m kinda lost
    Once I do it a few times I’ll look back at this and think what a moron lol

4. su16jay

su16jay Member

Nov 11, 2019
    B30D44F3-C7D6-4F77-B708-FB0E2D820FC9.jpeg Hey brutal potato
    Your post was extremely help full
    I took it apart again and saw how it should be installed
    Easy to miss this step
    It will be more fun now at the range lol
    I feel silly I missed this step
    Thanks for your help
    See photo
    Lol

user name, rickclark28 and RAT76 like this.
  5. A_Brutal_Potato

Dec 6, 2016
    It's okay lol I don't want anyone to get hurt. So the charging handle should be separate from the bolt to begin with. Put the bolt and guide rod through the receiver as you normally would, but don't attempt lock it in place by twisting the gas piston sideways just yet (keep the piston tab vertical, pointing up). Allow the bolt to "settle" into its track as it normally would, and through the charging handle hole in the receiver, look for the hole in the bolt where the charging handle would slide in (picture 1 and 2 below. 1 shows incorrect position to put the handle in, 2 shows the correct one). You want to put the charging handle in, from OUTSIDE the receiver, with the little tab thingy on the handle pointing vertically upward. From there, it should take some wiggling to get the bolt to slide forward, I usually have to point the barrel down and it goes easily. After that, make sure that you pull the gas piston tube out and seat the little tab sideways into the notch on the receiver (picture 3). This prevents the bolt from overtravelling backward- which if it does, may provide enough opening for the handle to slip out. 20191215_160600.jpg incorrect above, correct below. The idea here is that the charging handle tab should remain pointing up. Inside the receiver is a little track that allows ut to move forward and back with the whole bolt assembly, but not rotate at all. 20191215_160608.jpg 20191215_161003.jpg

user name and zaitcev like this.
  6. A_Brutal_Potato

Dec 6, 2016
    Holy cow okay I'm glad your receiver didn't crack on you while shooting! The handle should only be able to slip in or out when the tiny hole in the bolt is lined up with the roundish "T" shape at the very rear end of the cutout in the receiver. The charging handle should only slide that far back if the gas piston tube has been rotated and the tab on the tube is vertical, allowing it to slip in and out of that little cutout in the third picture I uploaded above.

7. su16jay

su16jay Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks everyone
    Yup I got it !!!

8. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    None shall pass!
    Until you bring....
    An assembled SU16!

user name, rickclark28 and su16jay like this.
  9. rickclark28

rickclark28 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I am grateful for this thread. I just tested my new SU16B for the first time at the range today and this is a good lesson at this stage for me. Range test went GREAT and I used this thread to help put it back together after cleaning it. Good accurate firearm with NO issues with 100 test rounds.

10. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    The SU16 is awesome! it's my truck gun.
    Other than the soft bipod not being MOA capable, something to remember, everything else is awesome. And even better with a trigger upgrade.
    Have you seen the Mcarbo and RedLion stuff?

11. rickclark28

rickclark28 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2019
    I have not had a chance to look at the Mcarbo and RedLion stuff yet. When the holidays get in the rear view mirror I may look at any items for the SU16. For now I going to get time in just shooting it. The first range test went great so now going to put different ammo on target.