Newbe Range Problems

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ctcdan, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    First to introduce myself, I am an engineer at CTC and purchased my P3AT after seeing one at work. It is now my daily carry piece. I have not done the full "fluff & buff" yet but did clean up the feed ramp.

I typically fire at least 200 rounds during a range session (free ammo through work :)) and have had some problems at the range that I thought I would ask the KelTec experts about.

1. The magazine would release during firing, usually after 2 to 3 shots. This even happened after making sure the mag was fully seated before firing the gun and with 2 two different people.

2. The slide failed to fully return to the battery position after a shot. This seemed to get worse after 50 rounds.

3. Difficult to rack the first round into the chamber. The slide seems to "hang up" and not fully chamber the bullet. This was with ball ammo, not hollow points.

4. Broken trigger spring. This occurred after 140 rounds in a session (340 total for that gun). Is this a common problem or rare?

I am starting to see some "peaning" around the guide rod hole after about 250 rounds on my gun so it might be headed back to KelTec in the near future. Even with the issues I still prefer to carry this weapon due to the small size and light weight.

I also bought a PF9 but have not had a chance to shoot it very much so far.

Dan

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome - and what is CTC?

1 - magazine releases are MOST often caused by hands bumping the release inadvertantly. The grip is so small that there are not a lot of places to put your hands without bumping it. Some have filed the release down to as short as possible but still be able to get to it, with the idea being that as a SD weapon a tactical reload is not likely. Sometimes you think the magazine is totally seated but it still is not due to some extra flashing from the mold around either the floor plate and/or the bottom of the grip, try trimming these with an exacto if there is any flashing. Finally, some have had the magazine release issue and have had to get a new mag catch and spring from KT.

2 and 3 are related I am betting. This weapon needs to be cleaned and very well greased and oiled in all the right spots. Once it starts to get dirty it will hang and 50 rounds seems to be the beginning of this. Any (and I mean ANY) extra burrs, rough spots, etc. on the frame/slide contact will make this worse as it absorbs some of the slides energy. The loading of the first round being rough is common and, as I said is related the above. The pistol is made to operate at fired pressures, not hand pressures. Sometimes if you really slingshot the slide it will load just fine. Some weapons get better over time, some always have a hesitancy on that first round. Again, keeping things clean and well greased seems to make a difference.

4 - not common but not unheard of. KT is very happy to send you parts, pieces for free if you call their service department. Try and fix it on your own (with lots of help here). If you don't succeed, KT is just as happy to receive all your parts back in a box as they are a complete weapon for warranty repair.

As to peening - it might happen (what serial number range is your weapon?) and many here choose to use a washer sold here in our Trading Post section to prevent it. I have them in all my P3ATs just in case.

Again, welcome.

-Scott

3. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply!

CTC stands for Crimson Trace Corp. Sorry for the confusion.

1. I thought that might be the problem. I will try sanding the mag release down a bit. I did have to trim some material from the bottom of the grip to get the mag to seat, maybe I need to trim some more?

2/3 Will this get better with more use? Should I be cleaning after every 50 rounds? Or would just lubing do the trick?

4. It's good to know this is not a common problem. KT did send me the parts and that gun is fixed, I just wondered if is was a common problem.

5. The serial number is J80XX, purchased in April.

Thanks Again
    Dan

4. DANG--- Scott beat me to ya, and I have to agree with him on all points!

But, even a low life like me knows what CTC is!

I love my CTC LG 305 that I have on my S&W 637.

Can't wait to see the final CTC offering for the KT 3AT.

FYI ... I wish I could come up with more acronyms to MWYH.

5. .... CTC GUY... I will send you a dollar if you deleat your second post in this thread!

And yes...... clean lube, then lube again!

Check the teckworks section to see lube details, but bottom line, lots of lube and clean and lube often.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Ahhh - someone in my back yard.  I live out in Banks, just west of Beaverton!  Let's get together and go shoot sometime.

Anyway, when I start to have hangs when firing (for me it is about 80-90 rounds) I usually wipe down the feedramp with my thumb and am good for another 50 or so.  Or I quit shooting the little pocket rocket and go play with something more "fun."  For some, more wear and shooting makes this (and the initial hand load) better, for others it doesn't seem to change.  I have never heard of it getting worse.

The peening is your biggest concern (IMNSHO).  If you want to stop by I'll give you a washer or two or you can contact Nu_Agin_Shooter on this list and order your own for about $5.00 for a few of them.  OR - go shoot a few hundred more rounds and if it does truly peen, send it in for another slide as hopefully all the thin ones are gone now.  Remember that a little bit of a ridge is normal, but springs coming out the end are not! This is what peening looks like:
    [​IMG]

-Scott

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Huh???

8. Huh???[/quote]

Just kidding.  He stole my thunder about what CTC was before I could rib ya.

And by the way Scott, do you know whos' picture you posted?  It is the poster boy slide for peening.

Dang Scott... we are high jacking again!  Tx is gonna fix it so we cannot log in at the same time!

9. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    The P3AT has replaced my J-Frame/LG405 combo as my primary carry weapon. Even without the laser!

Small size and lite weight win out for me!

Buy the way, what gun are you shooting in your avatar?

Dan

10. I agree, I still carry the 3AT before the 637, but I got a great deal on the revolver, and the laser for that matter.

Further hijacking your thread, what is the latest on the laser you guys are working on for the 3AT?

In the for what it is worth collumn, I had to swap my LG 105's for the 305's.

The grip was so small, I could not get my finger to activate the laser and still get a decent trugger pull.  The larger 305's work fine for me.  

How will you, as a designer, adress that issue for my large hands?  (I just measured... splayed hand... pinky finger tip to thumb tip is just shy of 10 inches.)

It seems to me that an activation button on the high, foward, side of the grip would work better.

EDIT TO ADD: I think it is the P-11 in the avatar.... Scott is not the only one here that can steal photos!

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Hey - stay off the guy and the CTC questions and let him enjoy his KTs...and let me get him out in the woods and corner him to ask him all the CTC4KT questions. ;D ;D ;D

-Scott

12. Speaking of stealing photos and sucking up to guys at CTC, here is one you for ya Scott!

[​IMG]

Mitch.... Who now promises not to harrass the new CTC guy any more  (today).

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

-Scott

14. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    10 inches!!! That's BIG ;D

My hand measures 8 1/2 inches and it's pretty crowded when gripping my P3AT. Can you see any of the gun or does it just look like a fist.

That is the trick, getting any design to work well when confronted by all of the possible hand sizes and shapes. We tend to spend a lot of time fine tuning the ergonomics before releasing a new design.

Also, lots of range time ;) One of the perks of the job!

15. To show you what a great guy I am, I will happily pm you mailing mailing addres so you can ship me a beta model so that you and the whole CTC team can report on the entire spectrum of hand sizes!

And just to help you convince the CTC higher uppers to let loose of a prototype, her is a photo of my hand on the 3AT.  Not fudging, my hand is pressing on the gun, not a foot away!

[​IMG]

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You just couldn't even wait a day, could you? :D

But now that I have seen the size of your hand I take back EVERYTHING bad I ever said about you. I'll be nice, I promise...

-Scott