Newb here.  Jamming when trying to load

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by learfxr, Dec 21, 2007.

1. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I bought my P3AT a couple months ago and maybe shot 200-300 rounds at indoor ranges. I'm pretty new to handguns, so still learning. My first handgun was a Glock 22. It works flawlessly. I fell in love with the size and price of the KelTec 380. I had it start jamming with the first 50 rounds. I think 3 jammed during extraction, between shots. That was with Remington FMJ, fairly cheap rounds. The next trip I shot 50 rounds with no issues. That was using a box of ammo bought at the range. The next trip I shot Winchester white box FMJ ammo and had jamming issues again. I now notice that it doesn't want to load the rounds into the chamber. The round moves forward about 1/8" then jams the slide up. With a little pressure on the rear of the slide it finishes loading. I was reading online about the Fluff and Buff. I took some light grit sandpaper and did some very light sanding in a couple places. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with sanding on things in there. I don't want to damage the gun and screw up the warranty. After the sanding I wiped it clean and lubed it up. It still has major loading issues. It does not want to load without assistance. Any advice is great. Should I contact KelTec about warranty work?

2. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Re: Newb here.  Jamming when trying to load

Welcome to KTOG Learfxr.

What you are describing is normal as far as loading the first round goes. These little guys are right at the edge of their performance envelope. They need every bit of momentum there is in the slide to cycle. Pull the slide all the way back and let it slip loose from your fingers just like releasing a slingshot. Even then on the first round they may need a nudge.

Another issue may be lubrication. Many of these need a bit of grease on the slide rails and the hammer/slide interface bar. Oil on the rest. If I am going to put a lot of rounds thru mine I lube it up til it is literally dripping then wipe it off. For carry not so much lube.

Another issue is known as "limp wristing" this is NOT a reflection of your manhood. Once again the pistol needs a solid place to react against. If your wrist flexes it bleeds off enough energy to cause the weapon to not cycle properly. Hold your wrist solid and let your forearm pivot at the elbow.

Finally make sure your extractor screw (aka. frankenbolt) is tight.

If the gun cycles OK while in operation don't worry about having to help it out with th e first round.

Sanding with fine grit paper & polishing with a dremel will not void your warranty.

Take care & have a Merry Christmas.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

welcome to KTOG

You didn't mention, but are you cleaning and greasing the frame rails and the hammer face (center rail of slide). Are you also cleaning the chamber good

Normally a couple hundred rounds will polish up a lot the F&B does except the feed ramp and the chamber.

The F&B is normally limited to polishing, not sanding per say. the fine paper on STEEL just polishes out faint maching marks,
    Don't use on aluminum indescrimately

On the aluminum frame rails, if there is raised metal, normally opposite the ejector, it should be smoothed down

4. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

Welcome.

The flat tip on the WWB could be causing the FTFeed.
    The FTEject could be caused by the button head screw being loose or a dull extractor.
    Limp wristing can cause issues too in this light weapon.

Take a look at the two links and try some Magtech, Blazer Brass or American Eagle
    on the next range trip, Keep us posted ;)

F&B full instructions.
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

Lube guide.
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

5. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007

Well, I took the gun apart again. This time completely. That won't happen again. Taking the trigger spring out was a ton of fun. I did a little more work in there with some 600 grit paper. I was thinking of going to the Depot and getting the proper Dremel parts for the polishing work. I decided to put it back together and give it another try at the range. I'm not thrilled about the issue with loading the first round. I don't normally run around with a round in the chamber, so that would suck to have it jam up when it's needed. I am waiting for my CHL to arrive, so I don't carry it on me yet. I just keep it in my truck for now.

For the cleaning, I wipe it out after every use. I use Hoppes oil, #9 solvent and grease. I usually run a brass brush through the barrel, then Hoppes #9 til clean, then oil to prevent rust. On the rails etc, I use a little of the grease. I put a drop of oil on things like the trigger components. I'd say it should be well lubed.

I added the trigger shoe to it today. I ordered some toys for it from Kel Tec. I got 2 more mags, the trigger shoe and the RH side belt clip. Still deciding if I like the belt clip on it. I'm a beer belly guy, so I don't see me carrying any gun inside the pants, can barely tuck a shirt in there now days.

6. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007

I'm relativly new to handguns also. I had the same experience when I first got my P3. I had to SLING-SHOT the first round and after I started doing that I had no problems. I did the F&B also and used a dremel and polishing compound on the feed ramp and the inside of the chamber also. It will work out for you. Good Luck and Good Shooting. :D Tom

7. jocko

jocko Guest

LEARFX.  imo if ur not going to carry one in the pipe u might as well not carry it. Get urself a decent pocket holster, Desantis makes the nemesis that is very affordable and cover the entire trigger area. It won't go bang by accident. Saftey features are built into this little gun. :-/ I think I would also stay away from the WWB with the flat nose bullet :-/

8. Rich62643

Rich62643 New Member

Sep 5, 2006

Sounds very much like the problem I had with my P32. Winchester Silvertips solved it.

9. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    whoah. ok, so i have a question for you... i have not had problems with the flat nose slugs, and they're alternated in my carry mags w/ JHPs. would ya swap 'em with a round nose load?
    thanks

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

They don't feed as well as round nose in some guns. If they work well in yours, no problem.

11. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007

When I begin to carry the gun on me, then I will start keeping one in the chamber. Don't see a big need for it while its in the truck.