Newb here... Looking at the P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CairoBoy1, Nov 26, 2010.

1. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Hi all, I was about to take the plunge on this unit, but thought I'd ask the group first. I'm simply looking for a reliable concealed weapon. In the pants pocket sort of pistol. The 3AT seems perfect, if it is reliable.

I'm open to any quick suggestions of a different small, concealable pistol.

This reviewer had some criticisms, indicating a high jamb rate. He also indicated that the pistol was re-worked by the manufacturer and arrived back shooting like a dream.  http://www.madogre.com/interviews/p3at_review.htm

Does anyone have insight into the re-work done? Is this something I could ask for?

Thanks!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG
    Whether or not to get the P3AT depends alot on your familarity with auto loaders.  The P3AT can be a challenge and a few people return them to the factory and even then, a few of those never are able to shoot thiers with any realiblity

the P32 is a little more forgiven in it s operation and thus may seem a little more relable to those not inclined

as for my self and a whole lot of others the P3AT has worked fine,  but I would not recomend it to a newbie or some one that is not familair with the mechanisms of the auto loader pistol

as for the article you linked, I read through it quickly and the only question I would have is the "According to online polls, about fifty percent of P3AT owners have said that they have had some problems" this is like the comparison of the health of a community by taking a poll at the local Hospital. those that have problems are more likely to post about it online. Look through post here and count the number that hate the P3AT and compare that to the 1000 P3ATs per WEEK that are put on the market

3. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks JFB. I'm definately a newb, but not a slow learner. At this point I'm simply looking for a small reliable pistol I can keep in my pocket. That's what drew me to the 3AT.

I'd look at a revolver if there was one that didn't look like a revolver when in my pocket...

Any other suggestions? I realize this is a Kel-Tec forum.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    even the P32 is not something I would recomend to a pure newbie (or any autoloader for that fact). But If you become familair with its operation, clean and lube, it would be a good choice.

Is it possible for you to shoot a P3AT, if you can go through a magazine the first time out, you should not have too much of a problem getting a P3AT to work for you

5. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Thank you for your patience. Are you saying that if a new p3AT will fire a complete magazine, it should be a "good one?" As in some are destined to be always a problem?

I really like the size of this pistol. Is it possible to buy a modified p3AT from a smith or something to ensure operation?

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    post up your location, and maybe we can get a member with one to let you try it before buying it, and make sure that it is a gun you like.....

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    and, in response to your question, why buy a modified pistol from a smith?

some smiths work is no better than anyone elses.

there are complete instructions here for a fluff and buff, which does nothing more than accellerate the break in process.

it is a great way to familiarize yourself with your pistol, and very hard to mess it up.....

welcome aboard.

8. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I'm in Saginaw, Michigan. That was a good idea.

The "smith" idea was simply IF there was a known series of mods that made this unit more reliable. I also like the reliability of a revolver and was looking at the S&W airweight, etc. The p3AT was simply smaller

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    NO that is not what I meant. a brand new any pistol may not go through the first magazine with out a problem. What I meant was that the ergonmics of the P3AT are such it may not function for some people (including those with extensive firearm training with full size pistols) So if some one has a P3AT that has been proven, cleaned and lubed, If YOU can shoot that gun with no problem first time out, then your grip etc will work with this small pistol

I was thinking....Maybe I'm a lot enveyous of the newbies today...You get the oppertunity to start out with all the neat pistols that are one the market today and may never know how good you have it with conceal carry options. Even the classic CC pistols of a few decades back like the Colt Mustang or the Walthers seem like a brick in your pocket

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    read through this info
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm
    If this is something you have no problem in performing, then that is the first step to having a reliable P3AT

this is a lot more envolved and probably not needed on the current manufacturing, but you need to be willing to perform a few of these task
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

If you don't have a problem with the above and don't have great expectations for the first 50 or so shots...go ahead and get the P3AT.  there are folks here that will try to get you through any problems you may encounter includeding the dreaded "limp wristing"

11. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    This is seeming like an overly complicated pistol for me, perhaps. I like the size, but there seems to be an extraordinarily high complaint rate. Maybe I should stick with a small revolver

12. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    EDIT: I looked over the two links you were very kind enough to post. That really was great of you. I have a workbench and tools, though not for gunsmithing. However the directions seemed quite easy to follow, and I would not have a problem getting the proper tools and maintenance equipment. My biggest issue is knowing what to do.

So your perspective would be that if a fellow can perform these maintenance tasks, the pistol should not be particularly problematic. THat's certainly encouraging!

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Not nearly as complicated as most guns. In fact I would say the P3AT design has reduced the complexity of parts to the minimun. Like no slide stop, no safeties, etc

as for the high complant rate,
    yes the last few post here have been complaints (and one is still ongoing) but like I said, the number of complants verses the 1000 per week being sold is pretty low. And I would say a large percentage of the complaints are due to expecting the gun to work out of the box without cleaning and lubing, expecting the gun to be "broke in" from the factory and refusing to perform an inspection and cleaning of machining marks and debri and refusing to lube since their full size pistol worked without such

14. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    You have really been very patient and very helpful with all of this. I'm very grateful. Thank you

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    As for the second link "reliablity prep" you should not have to perform any of the task related to removing the frame, trigger, and hammer. I have not performed those my self. I guess I should break down and performed them one day, but I have not had the "need" to myself

16. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Got it. Thanks again!

17. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Glad to do so. You will find a lot of assistance from the members here

But my time on line is about to come to a halt for a while...the Wife has here second wind and It is back to the Mall :'(

18. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    May the force be with you! Malls... :p

19. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    EDIT: I looked over the two links you were very kind enough to post. That really was great of you. I have a workbench and tools, though not for gunsmithing. However the directions seemed quite easy to follow, and I would not have a problem getting the proper tools and maintenance equipment. My biggest issue is knowing what to do.

So your perspective would be that if a fellow can perform these maintenance tasks, the pistol should not be particularly problematic. THat's certainly encouraging![/quote]

And if there is an issue, GoldenLoki is a valued member here, and would be more than happy to help you, I am sure, if the need arises

20. CairoBoy1

CairoBoy1 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Obviously there are several great people out here that can help. That's really excellent! Thanks again JFB and Virtual RJH