Newb 3at carrying questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by anon45, Jun 13, 2010.

1. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Hi,

Sorry for these really Newb questions, you've probably heard them before, I've been reading alot on this forum, but not really finding what I need. So I decided it was time to get a gun and I've done some trading and applied for my Concealed Carry Permit for Florida. I'm going to be getting one of these P3at's in the next month or so once the permit is approved.

My main question is, since I live in South Florida. Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale area. How do I carry this thing? My main dress is shorts and a Tshirt, maybe jeans as well other than business casual for work and I can't carry the gun at work so it will need to stay in the car. I suppose I can front pocket carry it and the grandfather oak holster looks nice but aren't those holders hard plastic? isn't that going to rub my leg all day and make it quite uncomfortable in 90 degree heat?

Backpocket in a holster looking like a wallet seems ideal but don't you look pretty stupid with 2 wallets back there? I suppose the wallet could go to the front if necessary.

And finally , I was able to pick up a 3at at the gunshow I was just at and clearly it takes a good pull on the trigger to get it to go off. Am I reasonable safe carrying it around in a holster? I'm the type of guy that works on my car, cracks apart the concrete wall around my house, spray paints said wall and forgets to take off the rolex while doing so. Is it almost impossible to get it to go off if its in some type of holster? someone mentioned something on the accessories forum about a branch sticking through your pocket and setting it off. maybe you have some special branches in other parts of the country but I don't see that happening here.

Anyway I know these are really basic questions and I appreciate any help or advise.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The P3At has about a 5 lb, relatively long double-action trigger. Inside a proper holster, it would be extremely safe to carry. The comment about tree branches or something catching the trigger was made in reference to the belt clip - not holster carry.

An excellent option for pocket carry is the K&D Pocket Defender Convertible 2-in-1. It has a removable anti-print panel for back pocket use that makes it look like a wallet. Remove the panel and you have a front pocket holster. This is what I use. They are extremely well made and competitively priced. The owner (Kevin Manly) is also a KTOG sponsor and a really good guy.

http://kdholsters.com/pd.php

3. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Welcome anon45.
    I also live in sunny S. Fla i carry either in a DeSantis Nemesis or a Uncle Mike's IWB both work great in this heat. As for carrying loaded i have just recently gotten used to carrying this way. This is my fisrt gun so carrying +1 just didn't feel right at first but now its normal.

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I tend to carry in my back pocket with a leather wallet holster. The Nemesis and Uncle Mikes pocket holsters are good for the price also. You are very safe as long as the trigger is covered by the holster.

I don't know if you were dry firing it to test the trigger pull but if you do make sure to get some good snap caps. Dry firing with snap caps is one of the best ways to practice with the P3's trigger.

CJ

5. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    if I want to carry in the pocket, whats the best material for the heat? leather just seems like its going to be heavy and sweaty? Kydex is plastic right so that seems like it isn't the best choice? maybe the desantis that seems to be made of nylon material?

Crazy_horse, by the unkle mikes are you talking about the inside the pants holster? and for the desantis, you talking about the pocket holster?

so the one that has the trigger exposed that you basically drop the gun into, would that be unsafe for back pocket carry? it just looks so compact and easy to deal with.

6. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Yes the Uncle Mikes is inside the pants and the desantis goes in the pocket. Both seem to be a nylon material. I personally use the desantis more often. I just put it in my pocket and go.

7. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    [​IMG]

I use the nemesis for my p3at. Even in the winter, i sometimes carry it in the holster in my jacket pocket.

8. uncledub

uncledub Member Supporter

Feb 16, 2009
    Alabama, USA
    I've been using the DeSantis Nemesis for about two years.  Front pocket carry works well for me.  Had to get used to not carrying my keys in the same pocket.  To solve that, I now use the carabiner type key holder that hooks on a belt loop.  If you want to consider the wallet type, the Super Fly is the same holster with an extra panel to further hide the print of the pistol.
    I also carry fully loaded and never feel uncomfortable doing so.  I believe I would be uneasy with an empty chamber.

9. Sam88a

Sam88a New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I bought my P3AT for the summer time with shorts and t shirt, or for ultra concealment.  I use a smart carry and love it.  I carry an extra mag in it also and since I use the smartcarry I originally ordered for my Glock 26 I can also fit a small flashlight or knife in it as well.  If I am doing something extremely physical I limit it to just the weapon and spare mag and have no trouble.  It rides right in front of your (most prized possession) so you naturally protect it anyway.  I am able to draw and get on target in about 1.5 seconds and with more practive I see that time shrinking.  You will find mixed reviews much like any other holster, for me the smart carry and P3AT are the perfect match.  If you are military or LE they have a discount also.  Just my 2cents.

www.smartcarry.com

10. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    seen the smart carry and thought about that. but 90-100 degree heat and rediculous humidity and added another pair of underware seems likeit would be quite uncomfortable. Now if I was back in Boston where its warm for 6 hours in the summer and then starts getting cooler, this would be a much different story.

11. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    The P3AT is really great for pocket carry. The essentials of a pocket holster are that it provide good concealment (anti-printing) and that it properly covers the trigger/trigger guard. Any of the good pocket holsters should do this, and keep the gun safe to carry. Don't think the material is really that big an issue, though either leather or nylon are probably the most comfortable to carry (plastic a bit stiff I would think). Heat should not be that big an issue, even in Florida in pocket carry. After all, your wallet is probably leather and does not, I assume, cause you a lot of heat problem being carried in your back pocket. Not to lecture, but as for carrying while working around walls, projects, whatever, firearms possession and carry does impose an extra responsibility upon those who choose to carry. You must become more conscious of what you are doing and where when you choose to carry a gun. It is not like forgetting a watch. So carry does impose extra responsibilities in many ways, upon those who do carry. JMHO.

Jim R

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Different carry methods for different folks with different guns all have their place and personal preference varies.  One advantage for front pocket carry with the P3AT is this, and I have utilized this tactic more than once.  Using situational awareness, if you see a possible threat approaching you or further ahead in you path, say in a dark parking lot, you can simply put your hands in your pockets in a very natural way.  One hand can be gripping your pistol.  In about a second you could have the gun out and shooting.  If no threat materializes, no one has a clue that you were armed, let alone being one second from firing.  As I said, I have done this on several occasions and have never had to pull the gun.  It could be that seeing your hands in your pockets might make a would be perp think twice.   :)  

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    "My main question is, since I live in South Florida. Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale area. How do I carry this thing? My main dress is shorts and a Tshirt, maybe jeans as well other than business casual for work and I can't carry the gun at work so it will need to stay in the car. I suppose I can front pocket carry it and the grandfather oak holster looks nice but aren't those holders hard plastic? isn't that going to rub my leg all day and make it quite uncomfortable in 90 degree heat?"

I have used a Grandfather Oak front pocket holster for about 5 years. I currently live in AZ and when it cools off to 90 everyone is happy. I have not had a problem with heat or sweating or rubbing my leg. In the winter I usually wear jeans, in the summer I always wear shorts. Front pocket is the best. Easy access, and non-threatning when you put your hand in your pocket.

14. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    thanks for all the info guys. One other question, has anyone used the moldable leather holsters? look like that might be ideal for me, but it looks like its gonna print pretty badly. The grandfather oak backpocket leather one looks nice, no issue there, but a front pocket one, looks like it could be a problem.

15. Sam88a

Sam88a New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    This is also an advantage to a smartcarry, If you see a possible BG you put your hands down your pants and if they don't freak out and go the other way simply draw your weapon. It's a great way to determine their intentions.......... ;D

16. Gr8oneJC

Gr8oneJC New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Hey brother,
    I live in Central Florida and my job is outside. I carry my 3AT a couple of different ways but mostly just in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Sometimes I'll just drop it into my pocket without a holster ( let the bashing begin), I have never had any problems with anything getting inside the trigger guard.  I did find some shorts that have a small zippered pocket on the seam  and my 3AT fits in that like the shorts manufacturer made it for the gun, so I bought one of each color.