New Winchester 380 FMJ

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by vn6869, Sep 3, 2009.

1. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I picked up some Winchester 380 Auto 95 gr FMJ - item Q4206.
    Box has as 380 AUTO vesus 380 Automatic.
    The bullets are a flat nose design. (I don't know how to send pictures here.)

Has anyone had a problem with these in your PT-3AT??

Picked up four boxes - don't ask the price - embarrassing. :-[

2. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Auto = automatic

FWIW they work fine in my P3at.

3. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Yeah, I know Auto = Automatic, just made notice of the fact they changed the nomenclature from Automatic to Auto on the box, like it meant something.

4. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Last week, I bought some of the WWB for $17.00 a box of 50, they had the flat nose, the worked fine in my P3AT and in my LCP. I kind of like them, I would by again.

5. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    100% reliable in mine after 100's of rounds.

6. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    2 boxes thru my P3AT, no problem. Would buy more if I could find them :(

7. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    200 Rounds of them through my P3AT with no problems...it's what I started with doing break in.

8. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Never heard of a problem with blunt nose in a P3at, but blunt nose or HP's in a P32 will rimlock without a rimlock preventor, simpler to just buy round nose ammo, and not to worry. The overall length is shorter on the blunt nose and hollow points. Jim <><

9. Battlebug

Battlebug New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    When I can find them they shoot fine through my P3AT. ;)

10. hairlesshippy

hairlesshippy New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    just bought some

I just bought some of the winchester 380 auto 95gr from my local walmart.. they had a half dozen boxes in stock for 21.97 each plus tax.

sounds like I should have bought a few boxes after reading this thread.. are they hard to find sometimes?

Thanks.

11. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Not really. Most all handgun ammo, but especially .380 of any type, got a little difficult to find for a year or so. This thread - which is from 2009 - was from that time period.

12. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I ran around 250 of them through my P3AT when I was breaking it in with no problems.

13. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Mine shoots them just fine and I regularly pick up a box at WM before going to the range.

14. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Thanks for reminding me why I reload. I make a box of .380 for around $4.75/box. What a difference.

15. hairlesshippy

hairlesshippy New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    what's your failure rate on the reloads.. just like recharged toner cartridges, I would think they tend to be just not as good. You may not agree but statistically, there must be a higher failure rate for reloads. right? would you agree that the more experienced reloader would have a lower failure rate or does that not matter? I and the type that would love to reload but am skeptical. hmm.. what do you think? Thanks!

16. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    You must cast your own lead bullets or buy them in large quantities to get the price of 50 .380 rounds down to $4.75, assuming of course that your post refers to a 50 round box.

I pay $59 for 1000 Darnas RNL bullets plus $11 shipping, which comes out to $.07 per bullet. Then add about $.01 for the Win 231 or AA#2 powder plus a tad less than $.04 each for the primers. So if my arithmetic is correct it costs me a little under $6.00 to reload a 50 round box of .380 RNL bullet ammo, which in almost 3 years of regular use in my KelTec has never leaded the bore or malfunctioned even once in any way. I know that using FMJ bullets instead of lead bullets would increase the cost of handloaded .380 ammo by quite a bit, but I think it would still be a lot less than price of factory made FMJ ammo.

17. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I think you are wrong.
    I have reloaded nearly everything I shoot, which is a lot of calibers & guages, for about 50 years.

In that time, I have never had a reload failure.
    In the same time, I have had many factory load failures:

Including:
    No flash hole in the factory case more then once.
    Can't happen with reloads.

Primer upside down or sideways in a factory load more then once.
    Can't happen with reloads if you even bother to look at them when you prime them.

No powder in factory loads a couple of times.
    Can't happen with reloads., if you pay the least bit of attention,

Wrinkled & torn case mouth on factory loads several times.
    Can't happen with reloads! if you look when you seat the bullets when reloading.

Etc, Etc, Etc!!
    It can't happen with reloads if you are semi-conscious when you are reloading, and pay even a little attention to doing it.

rc

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  18. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004

Your post wasn't intended for me, but I would like to comment anyway. I have been reloading ammo for handguns, rifles, and shotguns since 1961 when my wife gave me a set of Pioneer reloading tools for Christmas. And I can honestly say that after I got some experience under my belt my handloaded ammo has performed as well, or better in some cases, as any factory ammo I have used. Yeah, it's quite possible to mess up if you aren't careful and go by the book at every step of the way, but I have found by my own experience that factory ammo isn't 100% reliable or 100% safe either. I have loaded a few rounds without powder and have had some split case necks due to loading the brass once too many times, but I have never had a really dangerous round come out of my loading bench. I couldn't afford to shoot nearly as much as I do now with the current price of factory ammo so outrageously high, but even though reloading components prices have gone up as well they didn't go up as much as the tailor made ammo has, and I can continue to feed my shooting addiction habit without busting the family budget by buying high priced factory ammo. Try it, you may like it.

19. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    This is with current prices in my area. I'm still using older stuff though, so that's why I'm a little under these prices. The Berry's bullets come from a guy who sells at all the gun shows and has prices substantially under what Berry's charges but he must be a dealer as he has a constant supply. I'll be buying 2K of Berry's 9MM 124 Grain RN Plated bullets from him tomorrow for $144.00 OTD.

primer: $20.00/K = 0.02
    powder: $15/lb = 15.00/7000 * 2.8 = 0.006
    bullet: $72/K (Berry's plated) = 0.072

.02 + .006 + .072 = .098 * 50 = $4.90

Oh, and to address the guy who thinks reloads aren't as reliable as factory, you're wrong about that. When I started living with my current wife 28 years ago, she was nervous about reloads. Since then she's seen exactly 4 bad rounds....and they were all factory, purchased when I was out of town on business and thus she had to use factory.