Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to adopt an older brother to the twins and brought home a slightly older but still 2d gen P3AT.  I took the young man out to the home range today.  PO (a great KTOGer by the way) had reported about 100 trouble free rounds.  Building on that I put another 100 or so through it.  The results:

1 - WOW did I forget how much different it is to shoot a P3AT without the www.aglaser.com pads and cover.  It was painful after the 100 rounds.  With the twins I can go 300-400 without concern.  

2 -  Working hard at making it fail - I succeeded a few times.  It took one handed and a very loose grip.  After about 70 rounds it started to have some FTEjects (2 or 3).  This barrel was NOT polished in any way and was very dirty.  Since I did not take a cleaning kit out there with me I grabbed the first thing at hand cleaned up the barrel only with some WD40 and my sweatshirt sleeve.  No failures to eject after that.

3 -  The last 6 magazines provided something I had never seen in any of my our (sorry wifey) P3ATs - I had light strikes.  They were generally around the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round.  Now to be fair I should say that the gun was very dry and, oh ya, I was trying to fire all 6 rounds as fast as possible.  The primer showed a very slight dent just barely off center.  I pulled out the light strike rounds and set them aside.  After all my other rounds were shot I loaded the last magazine with these 4 or 5 light strikes and fired them one by one and all fired and sounded and felt normal.  My guess is that I was short stroking and failing to reset the trigger completely.  

4 - I think this baby might be starting to peen. (It is a J5***)  It also has a tapered guide rod that the others do not.  It does not look like it is very thin.  Since I have put washers in the others and they are doing just fine I may just continue to shoot this one and see if it gets any worse and then send back as/if necessary.  It may just be initial rubbing around the guide rod hole and it may not get any worse but I will watch it.  I am hoping that this doesn't prove to be an issue because I really wanted to send this one to CCR for a gold pimp job.  

I think after some polishing/sanding of the guide rod and mirroring the barrel this baby boy will be a keeper.  

-Scott

PS - The first 50 were Remington UMC Green/White box and the last 50 were AE.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sprinter1 said:
You don't want to make the twins jealous, but it looks like you have another keeper :D
And A BIG plus to you Sprinter. I am glad I ordered an extra set from you last time. Now I am going to put those on baby boy and have to order some more from you in the near future. Thank you for a very inexpensive but highly valued product.

-Scott

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks for the accolades! The one main advantage of the Energy Absorbing Grip Pads over a shooting glove is that they are always attached to the gun. Plus I feel they absorb more recoil and transmit less shock to the hand than shooting gloves do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.