Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UTG (Leapers) recently introduced a "Bull Dot" compact green laser sight that looks very interesting. It projects a larger than usual laser dot that grows steadily in diameter with distance (2" at 10 yards, 8" at 50 yards, etc.). This seems similar to another brand of laser that was introduced a few years ago that split the laser beam into an expanding circle of dots for use with shotguns, but the new UTG version seems like a better option (one big dot would be brighter and easier to see than a pattern of small dots). Videos and reviews I've seen indicate that it is much easier to pick up and follow than the normal smaller laser dots. This seems like a great solution for shotguns (relatively close range, and great precision not required). Users say it is holding up well to recoil and appears to be of good quality. It comes with a remote on/off switch (in addition to the push button on the sight itself).

So, I'm interested in trying one on my KSG. UTG's advertising video shows one on a KSG - mounted on the top rail ahead of a flip-up front sight. That doesn't seem too bad, but it requires the front sight to be mounted farther back than ideal, and the laser sight still protrudes beyond the front of the KSG (though if you have a muzzle device, it might be about the same). It does sit low enough to use AR-style iron sights over the top of the laser. I'm considering mounting one behind the front sight on a 45 degree offset rail, but I'm not sure how that would work - the laser isn't just just a cylinder - it has a parallel battery compartment beside the laser tube - so it might stick out too far, or interfere with gripping the forend (I don't want to use a vertical grip). But it might be fine and follow the contour of the barrel pretty well.

I would like to use the remote on/off switch, but I'm not sure how (maybe on the slide under my left thumb, or running along the rail and down to the front of the pistol grip?). Obviously this would take some effort - maybe using a thinner wire and some creative routing/attaching.

Anyone tried one of these lasers or have any thoughts on how best to mount one (and/or how best to mount a wired remote switch on a KSG)?

Thanks

DougB

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wonder what shot load the lasers expand the most like? In other words, what ammo does it support, and obviously it doesnt support slugs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wonder what shot load the lasers expand the most like? In other words, what ammo does it support, and obviously it doesnt support slugs.
I disagree. In more fast urban settings. That dot is a slug.

·
Registered
312 Posts

IMG_6234.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another data point: Crimson Trace Green Laser and Light mounted to a High Tech Custom Concepts Extended Lower Rail - It's sighted and last time at the range enjoyed by all including novices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who have replied to my original post. Regarding the need to match the spread of the dot to the spread of particular shot loads, I think you are "over thinking" the issue - it isn't necessary that the growing dot exactly match some shot pattern - you'll be doing your best to put the dot on the center of the target anyway - if the shot spreads a little more or less than the size of the dot, it won't matter. I think it will even work okay for slugs - though if your main focus is shooting slugs as precisely as possible at more extended ranges, then maybe you'd want a smaller dot or to aim with iron sights, (or better yet, just use a rifle). As I see it, a shotgun is a quick, close-range weapon with great stopping power. Having a larger, very visible green laser dot seems like a plus for quick shooting.

Regarding the Crimson Trace option, I have Crimson Trace lasers on several of my guns, and like them a lot, but I don't think they have anything with a large dot that grows with distance like this. And, of course, the UTG BullDot is a lot less expensive than Crimson Trace options (though only time will tell if it can handle recoil, etc. as well as a CT).

I'm planning to order one of these soon, so I'll see how it works out on the KSG (and/or maybe one of my other shotguns).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the idea of a large aiming point on a tactical shotgun. I prefer red dot scopes to lasers however. On my KSG I put an old Tasco PDP4 red dot. It's got a 40mm tube with a 10 moa red dot (10 inches at 100 yards). It's really quick to pick up and sight.

That said, green is a better color than red as the human eye picks it up better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to all who have replied to my original post. Regarding the need to match the spread of the dot to the spread of particular shot loads, I think you are "over thinking" the issue - it isn't necessary that the growing dot exactly match some shot pattern - you'll be doing your best to put the dot on the center of the target anyway - if the shot spreads a little more or less than the size of the dot, it won't matter. I think it will even work okay for slugs - though if your main focus is shooting slugs as precisely as possible at more extended ranges, then maybe you'd want a smaller dot or to aim with iron sights, (or better yet, just use a rifle). As I see it, a shotgun is a quick, close-range weapon with great stopping power. Having a larger, very visible green laser dot seems like a plus for quick shooting.

Regarding the Crimson Trace option, I have Crimson Trace lasers on several of my guns, and like them a lot, but I don't think they have anything with a large dot that grows with distance like this. And, of course, the UTG BullDot is a lot less expensive than Crimson Trace options (though only time will tell if it can handle recoil, etc. as well as a CT).

I'm planning to order one of these soon, so I'll see how it works out on the KSG (and/or maybe one of my other shotguns).
I'm thinking along the same lines. The single LARGE green dot will be preferable to a pattern of smaller ones. Actually I think the Crimson Trace option is discontinued. After much searching, the Bulldot seems like the only workable option for my (just purchsed) KSG.
I'm thinking of the Bulldot mounted (maybe between flip ups?) on the top rail. I hate those cords, but can't think of a better option than mounting the pressure pad on the front handgrip... along with front & rear handstops.

I haven't seen the "FAIL" reports of the Bulldot mentioned above, but that gives me pause.

Did you end up trying the Bulldot? How do you like it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust that thing with my life. I put a Romeo 5 on my KSG25 and was pretty unsure of it though until I put around 1500 heavy rounds through it and it stayed true and had no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust that thing with my life. I put a Romeo 5 on my KSG25 and was pretty unsure of it though until I put around 1500 heavy rounds through it and it stayed true and had no issues.
I was hoping to stay away from holo sights, and set this up as a close quarters hip shooter. I've been unable to find ANY other laser option which has an expanded large dot.

Do you know of any FAIL reports on the Bulldot?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was hoping to stay away from holo sights, and set this up as a close quarters hip shooter. I've been unable to find ANY other laser option which has an expanded large dot.

Do you know of any FAIL reports on the Bulldot?
Nope. I know nothing about it. I just have a hard time trusting anything from UTG or Leepers. Especially if it's under $100. That doesn't mean it isn't perfectly fine. I mean the Bushnell TR25 is pretty highly rated right? I'm just saying that just like I did with the Romeo 5, shoot the hell out of it before you go trusting your life to it. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well taken. I definitely will try different loads, and go back to same loads... looking for any shifts. And a spot of wicking locktite can be added to the W E screws too. But really... as a close quarters hip shooter, I expect it to do fine. Also will have a set of flip up irons for longer & calmer shots.
I'm waiting (NFA jail) on the Aklys SS suppressor, so this short handy rig will get considerably longer. Normally I don't mix batteries and firearms, but this seems like an intuitive indoor solution.
About lower/mid quality gear, I agree. But a pinpoint laser spot does not appeal to me for this project. And I can find no better option.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts