New user...usual questions--GRIP???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jacksnack, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    --Hello!!!  :)

Great forums.  I found some possible solutions to my trouble this evening.

This great little gun doesn't want to feed hollow points.  But from what I found it looks like some polishing should do the trick.  Tomorrow I will get some fine grit paper and get to work!

Thanks again for the wealth of information!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: New user...usual questions

welcome to KTOG.

don't forget the grease either

frame rails
    hammer face
    barrel lug

3. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Re: New user...usual questions

Welcome to the forums..As JFB said do not forget the grease...

John

4. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Thanks folks...

Now, I have searched a while and still no luck. Where would I find simple rubber grips... no swells, or finger grooves. I have seen Uncle Mike's slip on grips mentioned several times, but I have not had luck finding them.

Or do other manufactures make simple rubber slip ons for the P-3AT?

thanks

5. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    One of the KTOG members (sprinter1) sells grips and cushion pads for the KT guns. Here is the link to his site..

http://ktaddons.com/

John

6. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Thanks...I will be heading to the local gun shop in two days for ammo. I plan on picking up a grip, and mag extension.

Also...

I F n' B a bit. The ramp is a little more polished, and feeds a bit better...time and ammo will help. :)

7. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Grip: Hogue Jr. (at lease in my "situation."

Feed Problems: In two words...Jack Fuselier.

Grease/Oil: In my opinion, Mil-Comm products are the best...and very expensive! I purchase the Mil-Comm products from Brownells.

P.S. I tried the Sprinter's Slip-On grips, but they did not work for me...fell apart. I really liked Sprinter's slip-on grips and pads, however, the system I have in my home and office to protect from Anthrax eats most rubber products. Even the seals on my salt-water fish tank (silicone) started to leak within a few days after the installation of the "security" system.

If I did not need this level of security, I would definitely choose Sprinter's grips! They are great and definitely reduce felt recoil.

8. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Thanks Boggs51,

If you could clarify..."...Jack Fuselier"????

Do you recommend I plate the barrel? Or does this person provide insight into my problem?

thanks

9. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Jacksnack:

Jack Fuselier is an excellent gunsmith who has done a lot of custom work for many of we KTOG'ers.
    He did my Fluff & Buff, plated the slide and the mags. As we speak, he is plating three of my HK mags.
    He no longer will do the Fluff & Buff because he needs the entire gun to do so, but is no longer accepting complete guns anymore (serial numbered part) He has a great deal of valuable info. on his website:

www.gunsmith.fuselier.com

On the KTOG site, read the Tec-Works section...many good tips there.

Yes, I would plate the barrel--my next project--and the last possible thing I can do to my gun. I would use the Cobalt Boron Nitride process done at:

www.ktaddons.com

In closing, I've spent a fair sum of money on my little Kel-Tec, but it's the only gun I carry concealed and is now as reliable as my custom HK-23.

10. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Well, I made it to the range.

NOT ON FtF!!!! I shot 50 rounds of Blazer Brass, shot it with some lube and shot 50 more. It ate everything I threw at it.

Speer Gold dots also...no problem!

11. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Jack:

Sorry I didn't jump in on this thread before....

I've been using the foam and bicycle tube grip covers that KTAddons is selling, although the foam didn't survive the grip swap a few weeks ago.  (Crack in the plastic.)

My little P3 (2nd Gen) has been fine with only a little F&B.  No feed issues to speak of, but it doesn't like to release a loaded cartridge if I need to clear it.

(The extractor holds on....)

Read all the notes around here, though, and be on the lookout for some of the possible problems that the guys have reported.

I had to replace the mag release (Two Pistol Packer was making steel ones - he should be back into that business shortly), and trashed the trigger. KT sent me a replacement trigger (a real bear to swap) and a new grip.

(KT calls the plastic lower section the "grip".  They were really happy to find out that I really didn't mean the metal internal "frame" when I told 'em I had a crack in the frame....)

My remaining problem is that the stock plastic trigger isn't wide enough.  My chubby fingers wrap around the thing and I get bit when it fires. KT sells a shoe, but it just wrecked the trigger.  Packer's going to be selling a wider, metal trigger, eventually.

The nastiest current problem I've heard about (hasn't happened to me) is that the area on the front of the slide where the guide rod goes through it can enlarge to the point that the springs go through the hole, too....  It doesn't work all that well then....  You should be aware of that one....  I don't think this is an "every gun" issue.

Otherwise, it's kinda fun....

Regards,

12. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hey SMMA!!!!

Nice to see a familiar face (moniker :)).

I plan on replacing the mag catch. It seems like an easy fix to add considerable dependability. God help me if I 'need' it and the darn mag falls out!!! An email was sent to him several hours ago.

I also have the KTADDONS grip and pads on the way. I gave her a light FnB and painted the front "sight". :D

The mag finger extensions should be here this week.

See you at OFCC!

13. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Jack:

Sammy and I are everywhere.... :D (It's "Stu", btw :) - but you knew that.)

(He's a little miffed.  His big sister adopted a kitten.  I'm not sure if he wants to meet it or eat it, but....)

Sounds like you've got it covered.  Packer probably won't ship for some time, though.  It might make sense to call KT and get another one while you're thinking about it.

There's a nice "how to" at [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame] and mag catch info at [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA4tb32UIs&feature=related[/ame].  DO NOT remove the bottom pin from the grip - the one that's more or less where the beavertail would be. (Unless you want to learn a lot more :D.)

Note the magic trick with the hammer block when putting the frame back into the grip.  A fine screwdriver is needed to hold the block "open" - fully extended - while you try to do it.  Don't worry about positioning - if you manage to get it anywhere near right, swinging the hammer up and down will set it in place.

Treat those pins gently - the two big ones....

If you look carefully at the way the mag catch spring is installed now, you can probably figure out how to swap in a new one.  Nothing but the spring is holding it in, but it's not ambi or reversable.  Nothing much to it, though.

Regards,

14. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
  15. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Re: New user...usual questions--Mag catch COMPLETE

Well, I recd the mag catch from Dave today...very nice indeed. it was a perfect drop in. I only "smoothed" the edges a bit and BOOM...as smooth as silk.

I had to go slow and watch the videos a few times. My one mistake was removal of the pins (yes, I know Stu). Upon insertion the rear sheared a thin layer. :eek:

I removed it and tried again, it went in.

Cheap pins. Can I buy more? I highly doubt it made any difference, however.

thanks again.

16. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Just CALL KT Service & request a couple of new pins as yours are worn. They will have them in the mail almost immediately.  Call now as they close at 4 pm eastern.

Kel-Tec CNC Industries INC.
    1475 Cox Rd.
    Cocoa, FL 32926
    (321) 631-0068
    1-800-515-9983

17. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Thanks Rat...

They are in the mail!

18. jacksnack

jacksnack New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I received them, no problem. I felt the grip was cheap, but after installing it, it conformed to the grip so darn well, it looks like it is painted on. :)

It is VERY comfortable.

19. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Welcome to KTOG jacksnack ;)