"New" used P3AT I just got

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by C-Ration, Mar 13, 2010.

1. C-Ration

C-Ration Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I recently became a Kel Tec owner through a trade last week.  I traded a Springfield 1911 for a Kel Tec P3AT and a Kel Tec P-32.  The P3AT was a daily carry gun for the guy I traded with and it showed a lot of bluing wear on the slide.  Since I work at a rifle facility that coats firearms I decided to do the P3AT slide in Tungsten Grey and offset the color with black cocking serrations.  It turned out really nice.  I also redid the sights in bright orange and it helped very much at the range today.  Of the two guns I like the P3AT better.  

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Looks real good. You will like them both.

3. p3atLover

p3atLover New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Nice! I just might have to do that too.

4. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

Nice work!!!!!!!!

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    You do good work! Best of luck with your "New" used P3AT.

Take care...

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    That's really nice work you did there. Very impressive.

7. Ljutic

Ljutic New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Very nice. What's going on with that grip? Did you do that too, or did it come to you like that?

8. streakpi

streakpi New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Looks like the new traction grip...get that for $5? Great looking lil gun.

9. C-Ration

C-Ration Member

Mar 2, 2010
    The grip is a stippled variety that came with the gun when I bought it. I got it used from a guy on one of the local forums. It really makes the grip feel more comfortable. My P-32 has the original factory grip and it's a little too abrasive for my taste. I'm not sure who did the stippling job but it was done well.

10. Sam88a

Sam88a New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    May be a dumb question but, what kind of paint did you use? I am looking to do the same thing and wondered what kind of paint would last with holstering and so on. Thanks in advance.

11. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    May be a dumb question but, what kind of paint did you use?  I am looking to do the same thing and wondered what kind of paint would last with holstering and so on.  Thanks in advance.[/quote]
    I used Testors Model paint for mine. A lot of people use fingernail polish as well. Just be sure and get all the oil and dirt off the firearm before you paint. Then, let it dry really well before you clean and re-oil.

12. Sam88a

Sam88a New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    May be a dumb question but, what kind of paint did you use?  I am looking to do the same thing and wondered what kind of paint would last with holstering and so on.  Thanks in advance.[/quote]
    I used Testors Model paint for mine.  A lot of people use fingernail polish as well.  Just be sure and get all the oil and dirt off the firearm before you paint.  Then, let it dry really well before you clean and re-oil.[/quote]

I would have never considered that, looks great so I wll have to get me some and try it. P3AT is the first weapon I've had with such low pro sights so I never considered this befor. Thanks again.

13. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi C-Ration.
    C-Ration sounds like ARMY to me.
    Wecome.
    Charlie.

14. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I used Testors Model paint for mine.  A lot of people use fingernail polish as well.  Just be sure and get all the oil and dirt off the firearm before you paint.  Then, let it dry really well before you clean and re-oil.[/quote]

I would have never considered that, looks great so I wll have to get me some and try it.  P3AT is the first weapon I've had with such low pro sights so I never considered this befor.  Thanks again.[/quote]
    I put white Testors on my front sight about 4 months ago. I applied it with a pin using a magnifying glass. Just a small dot of paint and a quick touch and swipe and I was done. I then let it dry overnight.

It is in and out of my pocket holster every night to get wiped down with a silicone treated cloth and I've even cleaned the slide with No.9 Hoppe's (carefully of course) and still no sign of coming off. Wow, what a difference that white dot makes on these tiny sites.

I didn't paint my rear sight only because I wanted to see the front site right away and didn't want to confuse it with there in a high-stress situation.

15. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
  16. larryp7639

larryp7639 New Member

Jun 17, 2010