New trigger safety stop?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dgreer, Dec 5, 2007.

1. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Hey gang, I have read, and read, and read....all of the threads about pocket holsters and pocket trigger safety. But, I wear jeans quite a bit and have not found a holster that I can make work well in the front pocket of my jeans. Just sticking my P3AT in the pocket feels good and is easy to draw. My rubber Hogue Jr. grip holds the gun upright in the pocket.

So I got to thinking about using my dremel to custom form a chunk of rubber I have into a sort of 'trigger stop' that will hold itself in place between my trigger and the rear of the trigger guard...yet be easily pushed out of the way with my trigger finger during the draw or when bringing the muzzle to bear on target. This is just to appease my own need for one more level of safety.

I have searched but can't find a thread on this. Has it been done? Does It have a name?

Thanks for your help.

DG- who is tired of shopping for another pocket holster. :-X

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

3. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply! And it is great info to consider. Being a tinkerer, I guess I'll try to make it and see how it works. Then, I'll probably try making my own small thin pocket holster.

I'm experimenting with cutting a soft sided eye glasses case down to the right size...it appears to hold some promise.

If anything works out I will post results.

DG

4. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Welcome on board. The idea about an eye glasses case was talked about here a few months back,I think a member made one and posted pics. I have a( ?sp) Mitka holster and that is almost what it looks like. Works well enough. I made my own to from instructions here on the board. It's been in daily use for 6 months;
    http://www.ktog.org/pocketholster.htm
    We just picked up 2 K&D holsters in our home and they are very high quality rigs. Have just started using them this week.
    The grandfather oak and stellar pocket holsters look good too but I don't have one to say for certain.
    http://www.stellarrigs.com/Stellar_Pocketholsters.html
    I prefer to keep the triger covered but a good triger block could fix that. As far as pistol staying upright ,it won't for me,I tried. Good luck.
    For other holster ideas look here;
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1101742222

5. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I've seen the very thing you're talking about made for Glocks. If you opt to go that route though, be sure to incorporate said safety block into training. For example, if you dry fire - and God knows I don't want to open up the whole 'pro' dry fire versus 'anti' dry fire debate again (thought I'm 100% pro for what it's worth ::) ) - then practice drawing, pushing out the safety block, and firing. Same thing at the range.

Sounds stupid I know. How hard could it be to remember to push out a block, right? You'd be surprised. Under stress, you do what you're trained to do; probably no more, and hopefully no less. If you haven't practiced popping out that block, you're liable to waste a few precious seconds squeezing that trigger in vain, wondering why no bullets are coming out. That may well be a few seconds too many. You need to turn that safety block procedure into an ingrained habit. Something to think about.

Another thing to consider is the legality of carrying an unholstered pistol in your pocket. Check your State laws carefully. I can't speak for your State, but here in Ohio I know that can get you into trouble under certain circumstances. Something else to think about. ;)