New to the SU-22

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by henktermaat, Oct 24, 2009.

1. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Just got my first SU-22 and my second KT (been loving on the PF-9 for awhile). I'm stoked. Paid $360 for it at a gun show. Felt it was a reasonable deal.

[​IMG]

2. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    Congrats on the new SU-22.  Sounds like a good price too.  Don't own one but have shot Liberty4ever's and it's a great gun. They're just fun, reliable and accurate. Sounds perfect for a .22 doesn't it? :cool:

3. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Glad to hear it's accurate, I'm going to give the sights a fair shake while I save up for a scope. I'll post a range report this weekend. Can I expect a 300 round break in period?

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    You can get a decent scope for under $50 new. An expensive scope may be overkill, but I'm not one to discourage any extremism when it comes to gun related purchases.

Maybe a 500 round break-in, and it'll really smooth out after 1000 rounds! And I guarantee that the extended break-in will go a lot faster than you'd think, and you'll enjoy every minute of it. If it becomes a bother, you can always see if you can find a 6+ year old boy to help. :)

I highly recommend the inexpensive Christie mag loader to save your thumb.

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/loader-ar-15-m16--22lr-thumb-loader-by-christie-s-products.aspx

You might want to pick up some extra mags at the same time. I like the 15 round mag, and the 27 round mag.

5. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    +1 on the mag loader. Your thumb will thank you for it. I love my SU22. It's more fun (and cheaper) to shoot than my AR15. :)

6. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Now that you mention it, I've had my SU-22 for almost 15 months, and my SU-16 has probably had one magazine shot through it in that time.

The SU-22 is a ton of fun, it's cheap to shoot, and I've relearned the joy of .22 LR. I've been plinking like crazy, and now I'd like to put the good scope on there and see about lobbing in some .22 rounds from 200 yards, as cheap training for centerfire rifle shooting at maximum distances. I still haven't done the accuracy testing with all of the different types of ammo I bought a couple of years ago.

7. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Well, range report. Not to good. Didn't like the cheap Remington (green box, under $2 at walmart.)

it also didn't like the Winchester hollowpoint. It did do ok with federal target. Tons of ftf, where the bullet would bend or get dented on one side, jamming as it goes into the barrel.

I did clean it before the first trip to the range, and I shot about 500 thru the thing.

8. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    So, did the jams occur with the Federal that is recommended, particularly during break-in, or with the Remington and Winchester that are already known to be problematic, particularly during break-in?

I wish Kel-Tec put some ammo recommendations in the user manual, even if the recommendation was only for ammo to be used during break-in. Not having the recommendations leads the owner to assume that the SU-22 likes all .22 LR ammo, and that's hardly ever the case with any .22 firearm from any manufacturer.

I think people would much rather know which ammo to buy. Trying a bunch of ammo to find one that works is guaranteed to lead to disappointment and a bad first impression. My SU-22 was one of the first batch and it didn't like Remington Golden Bullets at all. I had already read that on KTOG so I knew what to expect, but if I was the typical owner who buys it, grabs a box of cheap Golden Bullets at Mal*Wart and had a bunch-o-jams, I'd have a very bad first impression. I may not ever get to the point where I am now. My SU-22 is very reliable and I love it. I accidentally shot a magazine of 25 Golden Bullets through it recently and it ate them up, even near the end of the range session when it was getting dirty. I was surprised, because I hadn't realized they were Golden Bullets until after I had shot them and they fed perfectly. When my SU-22 was new, it'd jam on about two out of every three Golden Bullets, but it always liked every type of Federal ammo I tried.

9. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Another weird thing- I could not get this rifle sighted in. I have my rear sight all the way to the left and moved it foreward most of the way, and I still had to visually compensate. I will have to get a scope, it baffles me that it would be so un-sightable.

Here's a video after the point where I got it to run without a jam:
    Video: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xnN2ky3v0[/ame]

10. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Kel-Tec had some problems with the front sights being installed at the wrong angle. I thought they had that problem licked with better tooling, but maybe you got an earlier SU-22 or the problem reared its ugly head again.

11. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Well, after one range trip, I've decided to send it back. I'm hoping they will fix the sights which don't have enough adjustment to fully sight in; and polish/resurface the feed ramp, which is dinged-up from many misfires from my single range trip.

They recommend sending via UPS - hope it's not too expensive. I have it packed in the original box.

I want to like this gun... we'll see what happens  :-/

12. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Do we have a serial number list somewhere to verify when in the production timeline our guns were made?

13. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Unlike some rolling improvements that are made, I think the new front sight fixture went into place on a specific date, although there is apparently still some technique involved and it improved the problem but may not have 100% solved it. I seem to remember that someone else asked for the serial number for the new sight installation tooling and there wasn't a good answer to that question? If you're motivated, you might use the search function to try to find that info in the SU-22 forum. It was definitely after the first batch of 100, and probably sometime after 200, although my old brain doesn't work any more so that may not be right.

It's not that difficult to spot the problem by sighting down the barrel, and trying to sight in the rifle is the definitive test.

14. new_cal_shooter

new_cal_shooter New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I just picked up an SU 22 and think i have have the sight error, cant hit anything with the iron / plastic sights, maybe that's why the 4x scope is on it. I'll try it on some paper this weekend, see what i find out, Shoots GREAT! Now i need an SU 16 and 9mm carbine!

15. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Well, my su-22 is at the mothership, $18 to send via UPS. I'll keep you all informed...

16. henktermaat

henktermaat New Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I talked to them yesterday... they've had it 1.5 weeks and it was "not in the system." he said t would take 4-6 weeks. I am not enthused so far...

17. gswiat

gswiat New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Went to my local gun store and had them order the SU-22 for me. I had them order it with the AR stock and there is no picture listed. does anyone have a picture of this so I know what to expect when it arrives?

18. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004

Here ya go :)

[​IMG]

19. gswiat

gswiat New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Thanks carmike, I can't wait to get it