New to the p3at. ?'s springs pre bent...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by wild_cat_mccane, Jul 9, 2008.

1. wild_cat_mccane

wild_cat_mccane Banned

Sep 28, 2007
    Hi all.
    My reciol springs came kinda kinked. Is this normal.

Also, I can not get federal hp 90gr low recoil to chamber on the first chamber. Is this normal? just my gun have a character flaw?

Thanks

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Pictures would help.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    some disturtion is normal. It can be caused by either the springs were not seated and seperated when installed or due to tolerances in manufacturing, the available space for the springs is less than the spring solid lenght. did you inspect the springs before you shot it. I guess it is possible they were not seated when KT test fired.

chambering the first round is a problem for a lot. I just bump the back of the slide out of habit. this can be improved by carefully observing the actions of chambering, determining the point of friction and elimenating it. also it is key that the slide be pulled all the way till it hits the frame and released so it has maximum spring force. if your springs are kinked, you spring force will be less. You could order a new set of recoil springs from Wolff

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Or free from KT.

-Scott

5. wild_cat_mccane

wild_cat_mccane Banned

Sep 28, 2007
    I searched polishing the feed ramp with rouge and all that. It didn't give me my anwser. soo...

Where can I get the jeweler rouge? Home Depot?

What is it? what aisle am I going to searching? How would I discribe it to a worker at a store? Do I need power tool too?

I don't have a polishing power tool..so what are my other options? steel wool? I am at a stand still :)

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    If you don't have a Dremel tool, Jewelers Rouge will be of no use at all.
    It is used on hard felt buffing wheels run at very high RPM.

You can do a passable job of ramp polishing with fine black Wet or Dry paper, say starting with 400 grit, then 600, then use red Crocus Cloth. (it is coated with Jewelers Rouge)

You can find it at any hardware or auto parts store that sells paint supplies.

Wrap strips of the sandpaper around a small wood dowel and gofer it.

Use care not to remove metal from the ramp and change it's basic shape.

BTW: Bent recoil springs are par for the course with these little guns.
    Even if you replace them with new springs, they too will be bent after shooting the gun a few times.
    The reason is, the springs are almost completely "stacked" or coil bound when the slide if all the way to the rear. They puts enough strain on the coil windings that some deformation of the springs occur.

Bottom line is, don't worry about it.
    That's why there is a recoil spring guide rod.

rcmodel

7. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I would suggest the final hand polish be with either Simichrome paste polish or Flitz.  Both come in small tubes.  Either can be applied without power equipment and work well.  You can use Q-Tips to work it or a piece of cloth on larger surfaces.

Another handy polishing item is Clover paste.  It can be had in grits from 100 up to around 1000 I think.  I keep the 250 and 1000 on hand.  It can be used for low speed machine polishing and also hand polishing.  It is silicon carbide abrasive in a grease base.

One more tip is machinsts stones.  They come in a variaety of sizes, shapes, and abrasive sizes.  They can be handy for some honing chores

David

8. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I've used the semichrome and the flitz and they both work well. Mothers metal polish also works just as well, so just pick up what ever they have at the auto parts store. Advance auto has the polish and an assortment of wet sand paper all the way up to at least 1500 grit.