Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....I picked up a used gen 1 9 mm sub 2000. My first attempt firing it, I had a lot of fail to cycles. I took it home, took it apart an it was very dirty..I bought it used off Gun Broker an the guy must have fired it an put it away then sold it an shipped it. Cleaning the bolt carrier/tube cured it. I went to the range today an tried the 33 rd mag I got with it, a mag pro 17 I got off cheaper than dirt an it shot flawlessly with brass ammo. I threw a few alum cased rounds in a mag an they wouldn't eject. My old hi point 995 shot alum case no problem. My sig 938 an Beretta px4 shoot it fine too. I'll burn up the cheap aluminum stuff in my Beretta an not buy it again...I got a box of 250 Remington UMC off cheaper than dirt for $54 an it shot fine.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Aluminum ammo doesn't like blowback actions. EVER. I'm mildly surprised your Hi-point worked with it, and I'm not one of those who looks down on Hi-point. I'm guessing the fact that it's overbuilt may be a help. Don't shoot it in the Sub though.

Reactions: MarkCO

·
Registered
861 Posts
Aluminum case ammo is a comprise. If it was the best choice for cartridge use it would be used rather than brass. It's only advantage over brass is it is cheaper period. You can find many examples of my gun shoots aluminum fine and some examples of it doesn't work with a few examples of it wrecked my gun and blew debris in my face. I have yet to see an example of Aluminum works great but brass gives problems. Your gun, your money, your eyes, your priorities.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, so once more into the breach sir, if you would...

I've seen time and again on the Internet and on this forum to NOT use Blazer (or any other, for that matter), aluminum ammo. It's been quoted on a few places that it says so specifically in the owners manual.

I have about 100 rounds of the stuff (Blazer .40 S & W aluminum) and can feed it to the Glock 23 mate to S2K no problemo, so the point becomes moo (you know, doesn't make any difference, like what a cow has to say...moo) since I won't be using it in the S2K anyway.

But the question lingers...I have carefully perused the owners manual of my S2K Gen 2 and nowhere does it address any admonitions about steel or aluminum casings. It is in no way addressed. Nowhere. Fine tooth combed it.

Went back and looked at the Gen 1 pdf manual on line as well. Nothing about steel or aluminum ammo, but I'll admit I didn't go over it multiple times as I did with the Gen 2 manual.

So no, this doesn't mean I'm looking for an excuse to try aluminum in my S2K, as I've already mentioned it's not necessary, but I am curious...several folks on this forum have quoted from Kel-Tec, but I see nothing in the manual(s).

Wassupwidat?

Stay low, keep moving,

Craig

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Okay, so once more into the breach sir, if you would...

So no, this doesn't mean I'm looking for an excuse to try aluminum in my S2K, as I've already mentioned it's not necessary, but I am curious...several folks on this forum have quoted from Kel-Tec, but I see nothing in the manual(s).

Wassupwidat?

Stay low, keep moving,

Craig
It looks like you are right down the road from Cocoa. And I'm tired of trying to explain again something I just did 3 posts earlier. How about you go down there, ask them person to person (ask for Sean), write down verbatim what they tell you, then bring it back here and post it. They may even tell you why they haven't put it in the manual so we can quote chapter and verse.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Response from KT regarding aluminum cased ammo to one user who asked the question.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Well alrighty then. I'll simply stop responding to questions about aluminum cased ammo in the Sub. I just won't shoot it through mine.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
From the Kel Tec FACTORY...they give you a Work Order when you drop off a firearm to be repaired or worked on.

It's not a PM from some unknown source. It's not "somebody told me"...it's not some wahoo yacking it up on YouTube...it's right from KEL-TEC.

Look at the bottom 2 lines...what does it say? And this is from September of last year.

Text Document Paper Font Paper product

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Please do not hold my last post against me. I only posted the YouTube entry because it had a KelTec response in it, not to give the video maker any credit nor to represent it as my own opinion.

I don't, haven't, and won't use aluminum cased ammo in any gun I have. I think enough of my investments and of the potential use of the ammo I shoot that I use only premium ammo. I don't shoot any FMJ pistol caliber target loads either (the only FMJ ammo I shoot is in military calibers). I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to practice with what I carry to protect myself with.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Nobody is holding it against you. I'm just tired of answering the same question several times a year for 13 years because somebody simply doesn't believe me, or thinks if they use a different wording they'll get a different answer.

Maybe I've developed a reputation for deliberately misguiding people as a part of my moderating duties? Who knows anymore?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It looks like you are right down the road from Cocoa. And I'm tired of trying to explain again something I just did 3 posts earlier. How about you go down there, ask them person to person (ask for Sean), write down verbatim what they tell you, then bring it back here and post it. They may even tell you why they haven't put it in the manual so we can quote chapter and verse.
Actually, I was just there last Thursday, had them thoroughly go over the firearm,
Why aluminum case?
Isn't steel-case cheap enough?:D
View attachment 34345
Will it run in the S2K?
LOL! Yes, I run that ammo through my Makarov, and it's just peachy in there. But they don't make .40 cal to my knowledge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually I was there last Thursday for them to go over the firearm, test fire it, and add an MLok picatinny rail. But I didn't think to ask them about the ammo thing.

But please don't misunderstand: I firmly believe you (and everyone else who has said the same) about aluminum cased ammo for this firearm. Heck, I've seen the jams it causes on several Youtube videos as well. I was just curious as to why they didn't mention that in the manual.

And you're right...shoulda asked them while I was there...

Stay low, keep moving,

Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
From the Kel Tec FACTORY...they give you a Work Order when you drop off a firearm to be repaired or worked on.

It's not a PM from some unknown source. It's not "somebody told me"...it's not some wahoo yacking it up on YouTube...it's right from KEL-TEC.

Look at the bottom 2 lines...what does it say? And this is from September of last year.

View attachment 34349
Well, son of a ...well, son of a gun, that's what! Yep, there it is, right on the bottom of the work order:
Text Document Paper Receipt Font

But gosh...doesn't it seem a bit late to be telling people that AFTER they have sent their firearm in for servicing after an aluminum round blew up their receiver? Might it not be a good idea to mention that in passing BEFORE they start firing it?

And again, I am not debating the pros and cons of using such ammo here...there really isn't any debate to be had, fact is fact. I'm only bringing forward the observation that Kel Tec could do a much better job in getting this info out there.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
I'm only bringing forward the observation that Kel Tec could do a much better job in getting this info out there.
The general don't-use-aluminum in a subbie advice is well known and widely practiced, but I don't recall any actual aluminium-cased Kabooms right off the top of my head. Not putting the advice in the manual, like they do on work orders, might be a sales decision. There are other warnings or advisements that they could put in all of the manuals, but they wouldn't apply to most individual guns.

Most Kel-tec fans know better than to run a bunch of steel-cased ammo in these lightweight guns, and Kel-tec will advise against it. But that didn't make the manual either. Do other makers routinely put that kind of stuff in their manuals? Probably most just use some legal boilerplate line about proper caliber, good quality ammo...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Independence aluminum cased 9mm runs fine in most of my blowback carbine & handguns but consistently fails to fully eject in my gen2 Sub2k. But I've had no issues with any brand of brass cased ammo.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well unless it is stamped on the firearm itself, some people will still try to use it - to save a few cents. Even if it was stamped on there, they would claim it was for CYA legal purposes and they would still use it.

I can't help but to see how many local online classified listings for sub2ks show several boxes of unused steel or alum cased ammo... perhaps they would not want to sell if they shot brass-cased ammo through it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.