Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I purchased a RFB hunter back in November. I finally got around to shooting it back in Jan and I was having some failure to feed/eject issues at first. Then I adjusted the gas and seemed to work better. I finally had a chance to take it out again today and i could not get it to feel a full mag. I have 2 dsrm 20 round, 1 30 round dsrm and 1 20 round thermold.

I have read about giving mags lip therapy but not sure how much to take off or best way to do it. Any help will be appreciated,

Oscar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have any pics of the mag mating with the receiver? I have read to disassemble gun and insert the mag and check for proper mating. Does any one have pics if this?

Thanks,
Oscar

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
533 Posts
I ...Have never heard this (Taking material off the magazines outside of the rib on Moses and older thermolds)...Also dont know what a "dsrm" is...

So..If you want to put a fully loaded magazine in the RFB, you'll need the bolt open or download 1 round to 19.

Sounds like your needing to adjust the gas a bit more to run through a full mag.
What ammunition are you feeding the gun?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I ...Have never heard this (Taking material off the magazines outside of the rib on Moses and older thermolds)...Also dont know what a "dsrm" is...

So..If you want to put a fully loaded magazine in the RFB, you'll need the bolt open or download 1 round to 19.

Sounds like your needing to adjust the gas a bit more to run through a full mag.
What ammunition are you feeding the gun?
+1 on downloading the mag by 1 round. Also if you read the manual, it says it won't work with 30-round mags:wall:.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. The Mags are dsarms. I think I just need more time with it to shoot more rounds thru it. One thing that does bother me is that the rounds do not push out of the mag with my thumb. If I try and push out a round with my thumb to unload mag, it is hard to push out even if there are only 3 rounds loaded. I am planing on polishing the underside of the feed lips with 400 grit sandpaper on 1 mag to see if it makes it smoother for the round to get pushed out.

On another note: Is the reason that the 30 round mag doesn't work due to the tension of the spring pushing up?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
...I am planing on polishing the underside of the feed lips with 400 grit sandpaper on 1 mag to see if it makes it smoother for the round to get pushed out.

On another note: Is the reason that the 30 round mag doesn't work due to the tension of the spring pushing up?
Giving them a little 'lip-service' will make a big difference.
The spring pressure on the 30rd to move the weight of that many rounds it too strong and drags on the bolt during the back stroke something fierce.
I'm not going to say that cranking the gas knob down (increasing gas) about 5 clicks from normal will run it just fine, but it sure seems to:D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Blake, I just took one of the mags apart. The end of the spring that engages the plastic guide in the mag seems to be angled and not flat when compared to the top of the mag. Is that normal? Both the top and bottom of the spring are not parallel to each other. Are the ends suppose to be angled or parallel? I am going to try and get some pics tomorrow. I am going to polish the inside of the mag as well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Thanks Blake, I just took one of the mags apart. The end of the spring that engages the plastic guide in the mag seems to be angled and not flat when compared to the top of the mag. Is that normal? Both the top and bottom of the spring are not parallel to each other. Are the ends suppose to be angled or parallel? I am going to try and get some pics tomorrow. I am going to polish the inside of the mag as well. :rolleyes:
Yeah, one end of the spring is angled. I just can't remember if it goes to the top or bottomo_O.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my mags both sides are angled up. I am going to try bending the guide side to be flat with the open end and see if it helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was able to take out the RFB last week. Shot about 60 rounds thru it. I am still getting some jamming failure to feed and situations where the bolt stops midway. I can stroke the bolt and sometimes the bolt will cycle thru and lock. Other times I have to remove mag and clear it.

One thing I noticed when I disassembled and put back together. When the bolt travels forward there is a noticeable resistance. As I slowly guide the bolt forward, there is a spot where there is a noticeable hang up. It is not smooth. Is this normal? If I release it does go forward, but doesn’t sound smooth. I purchased the gun with very little use. Do you all think it still needs to be broken in?

Thanks in advance,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts