New to me P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by aav_48195, Dec 18, 2010.

1. aav_48195

aav_48195 New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    I just bought a pre-owned P3AT. So far I love it, took it to the range put 50 target ammo thru it, no fte's or ftf's. Previous owner claims he only put 25 rounds thur it...anyway I have 1 question.
    When I load the mag into the pistol and pull the slide back then let it go, it seems to not fully chamber the round, I have to pull the slide back again and it works fine. Now if I pull the slide back and let it "snap" forward, then it chambers the round fine. Is than normal?

Thanks

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

when you chamber a round, you need to let the slide slam forward just as hard as it would after shotting a round. I have the habit of bumping the slide with my palm after I chamber a round to ensure the slide is in battery.

another thing is to ensure the slide/frame rails are cleaned and lubed. this includes the hammer face and the center of the slide where it slides. this allows the slide to go forward more smoothly and all the spring force go into chambering a round

also, you might want to replace the recoil springs, this will provide slightly more force to chamber a round.

In review, the slide needing a little extra nudge to chamber the first round is normal, but gets better with technique and lube

3. aav_48195

aav_48195 New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info...what springs do you recommend? I've heard of different strength springs for other pistols(6lb, 8lb?) Is there something like that for the P3AT?

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    wolffe has increased force springs for around $10
    KT's are around $1 :-/
    there is a review of the wolfee springs in the FAQ/VIP

5. RV

RV New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    I respect all who know the difference between ensure/insure.  :)

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    :-?
    Ensure is the brand name of a family of liquid nutritional supplements manufactured by Abbott Laboratories.[

7. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    ensure - make it happen (or not) the way you want it to

insure - pay for the inevitable failure of above, before it happens

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That is exactly how it is supposed to work.  Pull the slide back all the way and let it go - do not ride the slide.  Slingshot it!  With 75 rounds through the gun, you are a far cry from needing recoil springs. The gun is not even broken in yet.  Besides, they can last 2000 rounds.  Someday, a call to KT service will land free ones at your door.  ;)