Featured New to ksg

Discussion in 'KSG Bullpup Shotgun' started by silverback, Apr 10, 2018.

1. silverback

silverback Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    After lurking and cruising you tube videos for ever I am finally taking the plunge. I should be picking mine up thursdag. Can't wait to slap on limbsaver and hit the range. Then fluff and buff.

2. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Utah
    Mine didn’t need either of those things and is still awesome. What color are you getting?

3. silverback

silverback Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    No fluff and buff needed would be great. Getting sand color

Cokeman likes this.
  4. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    The KSG does benefit greatly from a fluff and buff, and notching the fore end so it clears the slide release.

Mine is so smooth it's almost impossible to short stroke it and get a feed or ejection problem.

Above all, polishing out the chamber and possibly the bore will largely eliminate any extraction problems caused by the parkerized chamber and bore.

5. CharlieB

CharlieB Well-Known Member

May 25, 2014
    Florida
    I agree with smoothing the chamber - just improving KT's workmanship.

Disagree with "notching" - which is a design change.

850sub likes this.
  6. CHRISTOPHER BENNETT

CHRISTOPHER BENNETT Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Mine was double feeding on every stroke right out of the box. Took it to a few gunsmiths and they didn't even want to touch it. So I sent it back to the Kel Tec and got it back a month later and it runs great now. A bit of a hassle but it was worth it.

850sub likes this.
  7. silverback

silverback Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    Can't wait to get it out to the range.

8. Tnronin

Tnronin Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Do you have pic of notched area.

9. CharlieB

May 25, 2014
    Florida
  10. GearFondler

GearFondler Member

Feb 23, 2018
    I've read all the posts I can find on the Bubba Notch and have yet to find any concensus on why the design is as such... What purpose does it serve to have the release operate with each pump and is anything effected by eliminating this with the notch? No one seems to know for sure.

11. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I have no idea why the fore end is allowed to contact the slide release, other then possibly the design of the gun changed and either the fore end or slide release wasn't changed also.
    The molding dies for plastics are horribly expensive and it's possible Kel-Tec simply saw no real reason to spend the money for a new mold just to correct such a small issue.
    The fore end was changed from the first design so possibly that was what caused the new design to contact the slide release.

In any case, notching the fore end has zero effect on the gun, other then to remove some additional resistance to the operation of the gun right when it's at the most critical moment of the feed and eject cycle.

The KSG's critical areas of operation are in the last 1/2 inch of the fore end at the rearward movement and the forward movement.
    It's at those two places that "short stroking" is most likely.
    A fluff and buff and putting in the notch on the fore end greatly reduces the chance of a miss-feed or ejection problem.

I'm a retired watchmaker-gunsmith and I've thoroughly inspected the KSG operation and notching the fore end has no effect on any functions of the gun and only eliminates yet a little more resistance to smooth operation.

GearFondler likes this.
  12. silverback

silverback Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    Just picked up my ksg. Came home and worked the slide. After a little ballistol it is relatively smooth. Not as butter smoothe as my older well broken in mossberg but not bad.

My preliminary observation :

I can see where a little fluff and buff may smooth it out more but I am going to run a ton of ammo through it first.

Examining the operation it seems the only real hang up here is the "CTG catch inner" could do with about one to two pounds less tension. This would facilitate ease of loading rounds in tube and working slide to load rounds. I don't see a need for the Bubba notch as of yet.

Great little gun. Can't wait to go to range and sling lead.

13. silverback

silverback Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    Oh yeah got the tan but it sure looks kinda of Greene or a version of flat dark earth.
    Oh well. Still sweet!!!

14. silverback

silverback Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    Ok had nothing but time hip injury. Ugh. Hate getting old.

Anyway did fluff and buff. Yep
    Well worth the effort. Didn't spend heck of alot of time on the polishing did all by hand and mothers polish.

Used 1200 grit to break Sharp edges then polish. Used 1200 grit to smooth Bubba notch area plastic.

Had one heck of a time with CTG pin.

Really makes a diffence.

15. silverback

silverback Active Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    See looks a bit Greene or FDE without flash[​IMG][​IMG]

16. CharlieB

May 25, 2014
    Florida
    I'm not sure why the fore end was designed to push the release down. It was not "allowed" to do so, but made to do so. Look at the mating surfaces. Mutually angled. Up inside the the grip FCU assembly, there is a long ramp that seesaws, and its attached to the release. Why? I have no clue. I know the "catch" part for the fore end is up close to the release itself. Why the rest of the hardware? Couldn't figure it out, except maybe its for a condition that's not encountered in normal use?

The fore end was redesigned, but... so was the release at the same time. They came out together on the "Gen 2" (or some might say Gen 3) current production. No doubt KT did it for a reason.

As for notching having zero effect, you should qualify that... because its zero effect "that we know of". If you hold the release away from the fore end, and cycle the action, or let the fore end be push the release... hardly any difference in pressure that I could detect. Could be me, or my KSG, dunno.