new to kel-tecs! got me a p3at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tat2, Jul 20, 2008.

1. tat2

tat2 New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    hi, i am new to this fourm and am a die hard glock man! i wanted a small pocket gun because my g-26 is just to big and heavy for pocket carry. i will add that i was looking for a ruger lcp or maybe a naa mini revolver,kel-tec really never crossed my mind because i always thought they were jamming junk for what i have heard.so i went to the fun show and looked around have not been able to track down a ruger lcp anywhere and if you do find them they want way to much money for it.looked at the naa revolver it was cute but not what i would like to pack if i ever needed to use it.found a dealer that had a booth with some kel-tecs had a few green and blue p32 and two p3ats so i looked at it and said hell i give it a chance. came home and looked for info on the net and found this site which is helpfull so i did the fluff and buff and greased this little gun.went to the range today bringing my ar-15 and my new kel-tec. shoot 100rds through this gun any had only one failure which was the ammo!!! i am very very happy with this gun so far.another thing is i was shooting a metal target out to 25 yards and was hitting it!!!!! so to say i am becoming a fan of kel-tecs and am sad i didnt give them a chance until now. i order a nemisis holster for it and it will be with me all the time.look forward to being on this forum!! thanks tat2 :)

2. CHW111

CHW111 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Boca Raton, Florida
    WELCOME, tat2.You will have fun with the little guy.I never heard of KT untell about 4 years ago now I have 5 of there guns Thay all work good for what thay are made for.Good luck with yours.
    :cool: ;)

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Welcome tat2 - Your experience is typical. The P3AT makes for a very good summer time carry, doesn't it. Careful though, as Kel-tecs tend to multiply on you. ;)

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Tat2,

Welcome aboard! Gota love the P3AT. I also have a Glock 26 but my Kel-Tec gets carried way more often. Those times when I do carry the Glock guess what's been in my right front pocket... Yep, you guessed it. Oh, BTW I've got 2 P3ATs.

Take care...

5. tat2

tat2 New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    thanks for the repiles, is there any mods i should do or leave it stock?? also what ammo do you guys carry?? thanks tat2

6. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Mine is an old 1st gen so I did all the "fluff & buff" to it. May not be as necessary now. Slip on grip or grip pads help recoil. Lots of choices on ammo: 102 gr GS to 70 gr. Powerball. DoubleTap & Buffalo Bore
    have some hot loads. Best load to me is one that shoots most accurate and most reliable. A lot like GS & others like DPX. Mine has DPX in it right now but have a bunch of GS on hand. One expands well and other penetrates better?

7. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
  8. srk-31

srk-31 New Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Biggest issue with .380 ammo is lack of adequate penetration and/or failure to expand. For carry ammo, I interspersed federal hydrashock with flatnosed full metal jacket in the same magazine. First couple of rounds hollowpoint, then alternating FMJ and HP. I figured if one didn't work, maybe the other would. Best to make sure that the two different types of ammo will function together if you're interspersing, though.

Just as I was selling the .380 to standardize on 9mm, Buffalo Bore came out with some hot stuff for the 380acp. I shot some of their 45acp +P loads and am a big fan -- lots of power, but not too much muzzle flash like I got with Corbon. Tests looked promising for the buffalo bore .380 loads. Figured if I wasn't selling the .380 I would have wound up buying some. It's spendy though.

9. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Welcome to the forum.

10. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Welcome to the forum.  I'm using Buffalo Bore 90 gr GDs for concealed carry.  I use 88 gr Rem JSP for practice.  They're cheap (at Walmart) and hit the same point of impact as the Buffalo Bore.  At least close enough at 5 to 10 yards.)  Since you're new to the forum you may not have seen the Buffalo Bore tests posted here by wheelguy.  Here's the link:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202857757

These loads put the 380 in the P3AT right up with snubnose 38 Spl +Ps.  In fact wheelguy (who did the tests) said "I'll take the P3AT any day."

11. tat2

tat2 New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    thanks guys, alamo thats a killer web site!!! been learning alot about the keltecs, got my holster the other day and have been carring the little guy everywhere!!! i cant belive how comfortable it is to carry!!!also have been looking at the bullet info on here and to say i fell fine with the .380 for protection. i cant wait to go back to the range again.if this gun keeps me happy i might send it off and have it plated and worked over by that guy larry in texas.. what a great forum

12. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Mods I’ve done on my 2G P3-AT in order of best first …

ArmaLaser
    Slight rampectomy
    Metal magazine catch
    Barrel lug and magazine well shims
    Bersa finger extensions
    Extended backstrap
    Slip-on grip
    Painted sights
    Trigger Stop
    O-rings on mags above Bersa extensions

I carry a mix of Santa Barbara TCMJ and Remington Golden Saber JHP.

[​IMG]

Bobo

13. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Larry?  Do you mean Jack?  If it's keeping you happy, no need to have it "worked over",  plating would be good though.

http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/

http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/slideoffer.html

That is yzguy's website, a  forum forum moderator / contributor and a great guy. His name is still listed as a moderator,  more of a moderator emeritus these days.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm

14. tat2

tat2 New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    alamo,yes jack dam sorry were did i get larry from!!! i think the slide finish would be nice.bobo man thats a nice looking gun wow you can do a lot of mods to these guns.