Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi folks,
I am brand new to kel-tec and the forum. I just picked a pf9 on Friday as my summer carry. Unfortunately I had an issue from the start. my gs is down stairs from my range so I went to the counter to the range although the gun fired fine the slide would not lock open on an empty mag. In addition the gun just didn't feel right the kick was unbelievable and the accuracy was horrible.

Let me elaborate a little bit this is not my first gun by no means. I have shot everything from 45s to 22s including 357, and 41 mag so snappy isn't in my vocabulary. My normal winter carry is a Ruger 9e. Well I went back down stairs to the gs and told them of the problem. The gun was very dirty and full of new gun glue. There manger/ gun tec (not a smith) tried it out, same problem we decided that I would try a good cleaning and if that didn't work it was probably a bad mag. Personaly I doubted the bad mag theory the slide walk back manually but as I was New to the gun I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Well I went home striped the gun and proceeded to clean it it took me close to three hours to get all the goo out of it. I went back to the range Saturday morning and tried it out same problem.

I know this is rather a long post but bear with me. Remember I stated I wasn't comfortable with the gun something just didn't seem right so I talked to the manager he said he'd get me another mag and at this point I was not comfortable with this particular firearm call it a gut feeling or just a psychological thing But if I'm counting on a weapon to defend my life I have to have confidence in it which I didn't have a nest particular gun. but if I'm counting on a weapon to defend my life I have to have confidence in it which I didn't have a nest particular gun I told the manager that either have to swap it out and give me another gun will give me my money back they swapped it out one upstairs tried it out no problems the gun cycle perfectly and is far as accuracy write out the box 1st shot at about 10 yards I will shoot an inch and a half groups with this gun which surprised the heck out of me .

Are used 25 yard silhouette targets that are numbered I like these targets because I like to place my rounds I'll be happy to take a picture and posted the target for anybody to see if they don't believe the accuracy. In the kick was a lot better a tremendous amount better more what I would've expected from a small gun shooting nine mill the only issue I had is that I did get a couple of in the kick was a lot better a tremendous amount better more what I would've expected from a small gun shooting nine mill the only issue I had is that I did get a couple of failure to ejects but this was right out of the box and I never clean the gun and I was shooting Winchester white box which I know to be dirty and I also know that the small guns can be a little picky as the Ammo that is used.

I handed my range session and took to going home and cleaned it took me about 2025 minutes to give it a good cleaning what I would normally expect nothing like what I went through with the first gun these two guns was so different if I didn't know better I'd swear they were made by the same company just goes to show you got to go what you got sometimes I haven't tried it out since I cleaned it but I will go back to the range Monday or Tuesday I don't anticipate any problems just try some different am I haven't tried it out since I cleaned it but I will go back to the range Monday or Tuesday I don't anticipate any problems just try some different ammo.

I will keep everybody posted and I would appreciate if anybody's got any suggestions as I am a newbie to this gun but so far I'm very happy with it. PS sorry about the length of the post and I apologize for any spelling errors or typos I can't spell worth a darn and I do use auto text thanks for having me and I look forward to reading any responses

Attachments

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
glad you were able to get it fixed quickly.

A lot of people claim WWB lacks the power to cycle a gun. Esp a new gun with stiff springs. Coulda been part of the problem, but it sounds like the first one had something wrong with it somewhere. Not throwing the slide back far enough to lock open is an ammo issue if it locks open when you pull it back by hand on an empty mag. Accuracy and recoil changes make no sense to me, I got nothing on that.

Spelling aside run on sentences and mega paragraphs composed of run on sentences is an ordeal to read. Try to break it up a little next time. Just a blank line like the one above does wonders.

·
Registered
215 Posts
And now the great holster search begins!

Lots of posts on holsters for the various KelTecs on the forum, including my own.

Since you are new to KelTecs, I'm especially glad your gun store sorted the deal out quickly for you.

I only have four KelTecs, to date ;) the P32 and P3AT are hard to beat for value and concealability.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt that would be the case as this is quite a popular gun store with a lot of military traffic. And they did in fact switch it out for a brand-new Pf9. I seriously doubt they would do something to jeopardize their good reputation

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I like it just fine the way it is
I've put several of Pop's triggers in for customers, and they all think it is an improvement. However, I own somewhere around a dozen KelTec pistols on any give day, and I am satisfied with the factory trigger. I do trim or sand off the flashing lines on the trigger face and inside of the trigger guard. I also put shrink tubing on mine, but it really isn't necessary.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've put several of Pop's triggers in for customers, and they all think it is an improvement. However, I own somewhere around a dozen KelTec pistols on any give day, and I am satisfied with the factory trigger. I do trim or sand off the flashing lines on the trigger face and inside of the trigger guard. I also put shrink tubing on mine, but it really isn't necessary.
That's all I've done too. And smooth out the frame.
I feel the urge to get a pops trigger but that's just another expense I can't justify right now. I can pull the trigger and get close to what I'm aiming at. That'll have to do for now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought this gun as my inexpensive summer cc weapon. If you read my op and saw my groups you can see that this gun and I can perform more than adequately should the need arise. I didn't buy it to be a tac driver. Don't get me wrong I understand the need for a good trigger job for compitition and hunting. What I don't understand is ( and I mean this as a real question) why would someone take this gun, which is made as a inexpensive personal defense weapon ( I paid under $300.00 nib), and put money into a trigger job. Why not buy a more expensive weapon that better suits your needs. I'm am dead serious, I don't get it. Why fix what ain't broke?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I bought this gun as my inexpensive summer cc weapon. If you read my op and saw my groups you can see that this gun and I can perform more than adequately should the need arise. I didn't buy it to be a tac driver. Don't get me wrong I understand the need for a good trigger job for compitition and hunting. What I don't understand is ( and I mean this as a real question) why would someone take this gun, which is made as a inexpensive personal defense weapon ( I paid under $300.00 nib), and put money into a trigger job. Why not buy a more expensive weapon that better suits your needs. I'm am dead serious, I don't get it. Why fix what ain't broke?
Valid points, but I did not buy my Kel Tecs because they were inexpensive, but more importantly, because they were/are the smallest and lightest pistols in their power class ( PF-9 and P3AT). While they are fine guns as is, replacing the trigger with something more user friendly just made them better as defensive weapons. Really had nothing to do with cost. I have much more expensive guns (like Kahr, etc) and they are fine guns, but larger, or heavier than the Kel Tecs for the same calibers, as are most others in the more expensive class. Then too, some folks just like to tinker or improve whatever it is they have, and as long as it does not adversely affect the use of the gun for its primary purpose, why not?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I mostly agree with you, Poppy42. I don't think the trigger upgrade improves the performance, just the comfort. I shoot maybe 50-100 rounds through mine per range trip, until they are broken in (250 or more). Then I try to shoot around 2 magazines per month out of my carry gun. The only costly mods I make are improvements in carry, accuracy, or dependability.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Some people are always looking for ways to change looks, performance, and reliability in all sorts of things. Typically in that order.

I'm not meaning that as an insult. I can hardly ever leave things alone without tinkering a bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.