New to Guns, New to P3at, help :)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JeffKTec, Aug 26, 2009.

1. JeffKTec

JeffKTec New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    First off hello ! Well im really new to guns and i got a s&w .40 sigma and i have fired 400 or more rounds through it with only 1 jam on the feed.But it is very uncomfortable to conceal carry. So  i went to local gun store and the guy told me this was a very reliable gun(p3at). Anyway out of the 300 rounds i have shot out of it it has never jammed on the feed and only once hit a round soft enough to not fire it. but it has failed to eject prolly  35 times. Sometimes being so bad that the empty shell was still fully in the barrel. Had to hold slide back and pull it out with my pinky nail.  Also a few times now the slide has gotten caught on the back of the magazine elevator that the bullets sit on when i shoot the last round and sticking the slide in the back position . And the slide when pulled back seems to hit a few bumps along the way. Its not real smooth i guess.  So im no good with dremmels or sand paper or anything so i definetly shouldnt be messin with it in that way. I Am going to try getting some gun grease and trying  goldenloki's way of lubricating. ( ive only used solvent and oil on my S&W) Also going to try the +1 mag to see if i get a better grip on it as my hands arent real small and i find it hard to hold. Guess over all im just maybe looking for some tips that might help etc.. as i dont even prolly know some of the basics that everyone figures you would know. Ive only been shooting guns for 2 months now and have never done anything with them before this point. i prolly dont even clean and lubricate them correctly...
    Thanks for any help :)

2. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Welcome to the Forum. :)
    You are at the right place to find answers. And it seems you are paying attention. ;)

Listen Pal, we all start somewhere. ;D
    I'm no expert, and have been shooting for 45 years.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Did you check the extractor allen screw to see if it came loose? I have had only one problem with extraction ever and I found the screw loose on mine.

4. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    The extractor spring screw needs to be tight but don't strip it! I had to take mine out, clean the area and screw and use blue locktite on it, tighten it back up. Have not had any problems since. good luck. :) Tom

5. WyoShooter

WyoShooter New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Welcome to the group.  It's an amazing little pistol, isn't it?

Checking the extractor screw, as has already been suggested, sounds like a good idea.  I know I've been told often enough that I have a screw loose that that's one of the first things I'd check. :)

Another possibility, perhaps in conjunction with an extractor problem, might be a rough chamber.  When the round is fired the shell case will expand solidly against the chamber wall, from both the pressure of the powder burning and the heat.  If the chamber isn't real smooth the case may be too tight to be extracted by a normal tug by the extractor.  A few seconds later the case will have shrunk back down to its original diameter and then it can be easily flicked out with a fingernail. If that's the problem, then a bit of chamber polishing will probably help.  

If you do polish the chamber, be careful to not smooth down the ridge in the chamber that the loaded round headspaces on.  You could insert a fired case into the chamber to measure how deep you can polish before hitting that ridge.  Keep in mind, polishing the chamber doesn't mean enlarging its diameter.  You only want to smooth any roughness that might be there.

Good luck.

Ed

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  7. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Yes, I agree with polishing the chamber. I forgot that I did that also. I used a dremel with a worn down polishing cone style felt and jewlers polish. It worked great. :) Tom

8. JeffKTec

JeffKTec New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Ok Hi All and Thanks for the help! Well i tightened the ejector screw .. it needed about a 1/4 turn for it to be tight. Went to the range today and only had 3 FTE out of 75 rounds. Im cleaning it now and as the last 2 times i cleaned it i am seeing a lil bit of metal dust which i can see is where the gun is getting smoother. So i have been told now it is bad to grip it to tight... even tho i was told by another gun store that u have to hold it tight.. So maybe it is just about the wrist.. lol not sure... but am alot happier with a 3 out of 75 fte. Also i did notice the smileys. Think i may go ahead and send it to them anyway just to let them make sure i didnt get a bad one.. i dunno..
    On another note i am following this link http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm to lube my gun and well im a lil bit not sure wxactly what they mean about ("D" coat the inside of the barrel under lug) Would anyone mind explaining this one to me... So lube inside the barrell? or just inside the barrell where the brass goes in??

Thanks again everyone for the tips :)

9. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Make sure you have a firm grip and that you don't let your wrists pivot with the recoil. Limp wristing robs the action of the energy needed to eject the spent cartridge. Keep it clean and lubed and you should be fine. Practice makes perfect.

Good luck
    Craig

10. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    GoldenLoki.com also does a nice polish job on the chamber and slide for a nominal fee. He did mine and it has been flawless since. He also has fast turn around. I was only with out my gun for a week!

Craig