New to forum

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DoubleTap, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Looks like a great forum! I just recently received my CCW permit and decided this gave me a great excuse to buy another gun! I started off with a Kahr CW9. Nice piece and all, but still a little bulky for summertime wear. I started looking around for something small enough to drop in my pocket but still pack a reasonable punch. I eventually decided a P-3AT looked like the perfect compromise between power and concealability.

My first experience at the range wasn’t all that promising. I was out on the 50-yard range sighting in a rifle. I decided to toss a few rounds downrange with the P-3AT just to test its functionality and get a feel for the trigger pull and recoil (no, I didn’t expect to actually hit anything!). The good news is that the recoil wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. The trigger pull was atrocious, but I knew that going in. The bad news is that the inside recoil spring was sticking out of the front of the slide after the first magazine!

Well, I took it back to the gunshop. The owner seemed genuinely surprised. We disassembled the weapon and looked it over, but couldn’t find anything obviously wrong. Hand cycling the slide wouldn’t replicate the problem. He had another P-3AT there and offered to simply replace the whole slide. I was a little hesitant to try it again, but I figured I could always bring it back and trade it in on something else.

My second trip to the range was more encouraging. I went to the 25-yard range this time around and set up a target. I loaded a magazine with the same 95 grain Winchester FMJ I had used the first time around. I launched six rounds downrange – all a little high – and then tentatively looked at the front of the slide. No recoil spring in sight! Another magazine full produced the same results. Feeling a little more confident, I hunkered down and concentrated on my sight picture. The sights are nothing to write home about, but I soon discovered the little P-3AT could produce some respectable groups if I took my time. The accuracy was actually surprising for such a small pistol! I finished off the rest of the box and was relieved to find that all the internal parts had remained ‘internal’. The only problem area was the gun was reluctant to chamber the first round when the slide was released by hand. I attributed this to the unusual flat-nose (pseudo-wadcutter-ish) profile of the bullets. No problems with any subsequent rounds in any given magazine load. Ejection was robust if not downright perky.

I guess I’ll hang on to the little P-3AT for the time being. I still want to break it in some more, preferably with some ‘pointier’ ammo. Once it’s properly broken in, I’ll try feeding it some hollow points (Hydra-shoks or Speer GoldDots likely) just to ensure the pistol is going to be reliable enough for day-to-day carry. I’m given to understand these guns are happier with a little extra lubrication, and I’m going to add the 1-round magazine extension as soon as I can figure out how the stupid thing’s supposed to go on? (I’m beginning to wonder if Kel-Tec mislabeled an extension for a different magazine? Doesn’t look like it’ll fit, unless I’m missing something?)

Anyway, I really enjoy reading this forum. Lots of great advice here from people who seem to (mostly) love their Kel-Tecs!

2. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Welcome on board. Remember if the gunshop don't follow up on any problems you have call Kel Tec direct, they will take care of you.

3. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

Welcome. Someone will be along shortly with all the relevant links that you might want to look at regarding "fluff and buff" and "peening," or do a search for them yourself. The F&B will help smooth out your KT's break in period. The peening issue is all about the whole spring problem you had. Glad to see you gave KT a second chance. Good luck with your new P3 and don't be surprised if you find it multiplying over time. KTs are addictive.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    25 yards!

Wowzers! If I get much beyond 7 I start gettin' scared I'll wing some errant bird in flight!

Welcome to KTOG and it sounds like you have a good start on things!

Keep us posted, please.

6. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    ::) I do. I'v even tried 50 yards (hit paper 2 of 6 x) My needs may be differant than most. I needed to know if it would work at a longer range. It sure is not my choice gun at that range but if the need arised and that's all I had ...   And before a bunch of you jump on this as rediculus , you ain't walked in my shoes.

7. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007
    try some 3 - 4 yard shots next time and practice some real-life BG scenarios - one handed quick draw...your confidence with rise...probably 4 out of 5 hits...no limp wristing please

8. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Actually, the only reason I was taking 25-yard shots is because that’s the minimum distance you’re allowed to shoot on that particular public range. The old guy that runs the place would have a cow if I tried to set up something any closer. In any case, the P-3AT acquitted itself quite nicely at that distance once I got used to the tiny little sights. Shooting off the bench, I managed to keep almost all of my rounds inside a 6-inch circle. The ones that fell outside all tended to go a little high, though that was probably more my doing than the gun’s. Accuracy-wise, it was easily on par with any number of full-size service-grade pistols I’ve shot. After all, there’s nothing inherently inaccurate about a short barrel per say. A longer barrel gives you the advantage of a longer sight radius (and a higher velocity, which may or may not help your accuracy, depending upon your loading), but there’s nothing magical about a longer barrel. The main things working against the P-3AT are the dismal sights and the long, heavy trigger pull. Then again, it’s not intended to be a target pistol, so who cares? It’s nice to know it’ll put ‘em where you point it, but at typical self-defense ranges, most any gun should be able to hit a man-sized target with ease, assuming the shooter has their wits about them – much easier said than done. Still, I must admit I was pleased with its performance! :)