Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum as I purchased a brand new PF-9 yesterday at my local gun shop (Impulse buy). I always heard mixed things about Kel-Tec firearms, I always like the challenge of trying something new out and tinkering. I am not new to temperamental handguns as I have owned many Kahrs and have had some that have taken a lot of range time to get reliable so having the issues I had yesterday, I'm not going to badmouth the product as I was kind of expecting it not to go as smooth. The only issues I had were double feeds.
just about every other round during the first 50 rounds had a double feed. After the first 50 rounds, it magically cycled through about 4 magazines without an issue, then had about 3 more double feeds pretty much one after another. They worked flawlessly until I ran out of ammo. Total of 100 rounds, 50 Winchester Nato ball (whatever it's called, not the regular WWB) and 50 Remington range ammo. Definitely seemed to like the Remington way better.

Anyway, brought it back to the house, stripped it down, gave it a good cleaning, polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish and double checked the magazine spring to make sure it was installed correctly as I knew that with Kahrs, they come in installed incorrectly all the time. It was good though. I'm trying to get familiarized with this gun so is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, even KelTec has had some magazine springs installed upside down. I've not had the problem but it apparently causes some.
Most problems with KelTec pistols through the years were caused by limp wristing. Many long term pistoleros refuse to accept that they may limpwrist. After using heavy solid steel firearms for a long time, they do not always hold the much lighter Gun as firm as is needed for the action to cycle properly. Think about it and next time you shoot the PF9, lock your wrist and arm firmly, see if that makes a difference.
My other advice is to decide laser or no laser before you start your preferred holster search:)
And I like the tritium night sites on the PF9. Available via a guy named Michael who has posted here (do a search).
The PF9 is my daily carry.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
When you say "double feed", has the fired round been ejected and two live rounds come up one behind the other? Or is the spent casing still in the chamber with a fresh live round coming in behind it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome greg. Are you on the Taurus forum? Is the fired case partially extracted with a fresh round jammed under it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate the willingness to help each other out. To clarify the spent round does not eject and the new one tries to come into the chamber. Sorry for not explaining my self clearer earlier. I did call Kel-Tec earlier today just for ****s to see if a tech would have any insight and he ran my serial number, apparently, my gun sat in a shelf since 2013 and he said it has an older style ejector so no questions asked, he went ahead and sent me a new one.

I was very happy to see the level of attention and service as in the past, many other companies have required stupid emails explaining what I explained in the phone or going through a bunch of loops to get a part or send something through service. Hopefully this should do the trick.

Silverbullet, no, not in the Taurus forum.

Boomerweps, I'll be the first to raise my hand and admit if I screw something up while shooting or with a gun, didn't limp wrist it though. I was purposely holding on to it tight as hell cause I wanted to make sure I wasn't limp wristing it. I have other handguns that are similar as far as the recoil, that's the first thing I make sure I don't mess up.

I'll keep you guys posted once the part comes in. I'll put at least 200 rounds through it to see what happens and will run some HP's afterwards. I got this gun for my wife as she just got her CCW but am thinking before the month ends, I may just have to get another for myself as I really like it and weighs way less than my Springfield XD-S and I even think it weighs less than my J-Frame. Nice little gun. Let's see if we can make this one reliable first though. I'm confident it will.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I was going to say, if the spent round is not ejected, look at the ejector. If the spent round is ejected and 2 fresh rounds are feeding, look at the mag. KT called it. Hopefully your problem will be resolved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoping so TxCajun, just received the ejector assembly this evening, can definitely see the difference in the new spring as it's longer than the old one. Installed it and will go ahead and test it out on the range tomorrow. Hoping it works good cause if it does, will definitely buy another one as I'm really liking the ergonomics on this little pistol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, happy to report that the new ejector did the trick! Went to my local range, went through a 100 rd box of federal (the value box from Walmart). Ate it all with no issues. Had a small bobble but it was totally my fault as I wasn't holding the pistol right because I was focused on observing the gun while firing and got spaced out for a moment so I felt it when I limp wristed it.

Had an older box of the Sig elite whatever in 124 grain that I wanted to burn through and a box of 147gr Winchester Defend which I loved. It shot them all just fine. Weirdly enough, not a lot of recoil at all from the Winchester stuff compared to the Sig ammo which was a handful and for some reason made me press the mag release button a couple of times. It was snappier than my XD-S in 40S&W which is very snappy. I didn't like that ammo, but the PF-9 ate it just fine.

I loved the Winchester stuff, figured I'd try it since a lot of people have told me it's a nice round and I'm glad I did as the PF-9 seemed very composed with it and my groups were tighter with those rounds than anything else. The fact that they're 147gr is a plus as it's very shootable with that round and zero issues whatsoever.

Overall, glad I made this purchase. I'll take it out to the range a few more times and put at least a total of 500 rounds through it before my wife and I feel comfortable with her carrying it and of course most of those rounds will be put down range by her and with a healthy mis of various defensive ammo so she can decide which she likes best and can hit best with.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Glad you got it going yourself and did not have to send it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.