Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum not new gun owner, got my sub2000 gen 2 today and just had some questions after flipping through the manual and watching some videos. I plan on using the gun for plinking, nothing to crazy, federal 9mm, range once a week.

After firing today and cleaning, is it fine to clean only the bore with a borensnake, bolt clean and lube with rem oil? I can't figure out how you clean the inside of the receiver after googling most say it's hard to take apart, is this something you guys clean or is it not necesary for function, any spare parts you recommend to buy to keep on hand?

Also wanted to ask if there are any long term owners, after reading reports of some cracks, I am wondering how long these last, etc it feels great but in my application will it hold up? Thanks in advance guys, glad to be apart of the community of this versatile firearm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is about what I suggest to do. Barrel, bolt parts and bolt tube. Wipe down as much as you can… toothbrush also helps.

Going deep into the gun, I only suggest if you are swapping the parts (MCARBO, for example).

Can carbon get inside the gun? Probably. But unless it causes issues, I’d treat it like the internals of a revolver.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
New to the forum not new gun owner, got my sub2000 gen 2 today and just had some questions after flipping through the manual and watching some videos. I plan on using the gun for plinking, nothing to crazy, federal 9mm, range once a week.

After firing today and cleaning, is it fine to clean only the bore with a borensnake, bolt clean and lube with rem oil? I can't figure out how you clean the inside of the receiver after googling most say it's hard to take apart, is this something you guys clean or is it not necesary for function, any spare parts you recommend to buy to keep on hand?

Also wanted to ask if there are any long term owners, after reading reports of some cracks, I am wondering how long these last, etc it feels great but in my application will it hold up? Thanks in advance guys, glad to be apart of the community of this versatile firearm.
In regard to the cracking, if I remember correctly, it seemed to mainly occur to the color polymer (green and sand) of a certain run in late 2018/early 2019. I think (again with my old memory) that it was subsequently corrected. There haven't been many reports of cracking on this forum over the years otherwise. Welcome to the forum and I think you will have fun with your S2K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In regard to the cracking, if I remember correctly, it seemed to mainly occur to the color polymer (green and sand) of a certain run in late 2018/early 2019. I think (again with my old memory) that it was subsequently corrected. There haven't been many reports of cracking on this forum over the years otherwise. Welcome to the forum and I think you will have fun with your S2K.
I have the green one, but I just bought it new with the box and everything so doubt its that old, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
cold926, a dirty gun bothers me more than you can possibly know. Screwball covered what can be easily cleaned by normal means. There is a liquid cleaning product called Prolix that also is a dry lube and protectant. When I was shooting my sub2k alot I cleaned the innards by squirting prolix from a tray into where I couldn't get. Allowing it to sit dissolves the Prolix used the last time, so everything above that layer is also dissolved. After 5-10 minutes flush it again and you're done with the innards. Allow the parts to drip off then just put it aside to dry. Parts that could go into the bath did, then I'd brush them off, rinse, and they got the same drip and dry routine. It forms a very slick dry lube and protects. What I did was assemble it and put it back into the safe. It couldn't be easier. If the Prolix is put into a tray with a sealed cover it gets used over and over and will last for years. The crud settles out and you use the clean upper "layer" of Prolix. That's the best I could come up with. You don't want to open the innards up unless you must. If using Prolix use it for all the cleaning to simplify the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cold926, a dirty gun bothers me more than you can possibly know. Screwball covered what can be easily cleaned by normal means. There is a liquid cleaning product called Prolix that also is a dry lube and protectant. When I was shooting my sub2k alot I cleaned the innards by squirting prolix from a tray into where I couldn't get. Allowing it to sit dissolves the Prolix used the last time, so everything above that layer is also dissolved. After 5-10 minutes flush it again and you're done with the innards. Allow the parts to drip off then just put it aside to dry. Parts that could go into the bath did, then I'd brush them off, rinse, and they got the same drip and dry routine. It forms a very slick dry lube and protects. What I did was assemble it and put it back into the safe. It couldn't be easier. If the Prolix is put into a tray with a sealed cover it gets used over and over and will last for years. The crud settles out and you use the clean upper "layer" of Prolix. That's the best I could come up with. You don't want to open the innards up unless you must. If using Prolix use it for all the cleaning to simplify the process.
Thanks for the writeup, I appreciate the tips!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a bit more time to think and write now Cold296.

I put many thousands of rounds through my sub2k in competition. Never once, when fed brass cased ammo*, did it malfunction. Not even with my butterfly fart loads that just made minor power factor. I stopped using it because of my incompatibility with the inability to easily get into the innards to make sure everything was clean. I could never quite come to grips with the fact that even though I couldn't see that it was clean that it was functioning just fine. So now it's a afe queen. But it's so reliable that if the zombies were to come out of their graves it would be high on my list of SHTF firearms.

*Mine is a jammamatic with aluminum cased ammo. It's the only sub2k I ever heard of that doesn't like aluminum cases. :) Lucky me, right?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a bit more time to think and write now Cold296.

I put many thousands of rounds through my sub2k in competition. Never once, when fed brass cased ammo*, did it malfunction. Not even with my butterfly fart loads that just made minor power factor. I stopped using it because of my incompatibility with the inability to easily get into the innards to make sure everything was clean. I could never quite come to grips with the fact that even though I couldn't see that it was clean that it was functioning just fine. So now it's a afe queen. But it's so reliable that if the zombies were to come out of their graves it would be high on my list of SHTF firearms.

*Mine is a jammamatic with aluminum cased ammo. It's the only sub2k I ever heard of that doesn't like aluminum cases. :) Lucky me, right?
My recommendation is...don't open it up if a dirty gun gets to you!!! ;)

Mine was filthy inside when I installed some MCarbo parts!!! Places that could have only gotten filthy from the manufacturing process. Unless you have an ultrasonic cleaner big enough to handle the whole gun you're either going to have to tear it down to get the gunk out or simply live with it. Consider it a test of mind over matter!!! :p

I normally remove the bolt and run a lint-free rag thru everything I can to remove what I can't get with a snake or a brush dipped in cleaner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your concern with the cracks would be a valid a while ago. However like stated, I think your gun is way past the time frame of guns that had that issue. Mine cracked and besides not having a gun for a few weeks (6,000 mile round trip) Keltec's customer service is second to none. I've had zero issues since and have put 1000+ rounds through it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Your concern with the cracks would be a valid a while ago. However like stated, I think your gun is way past the time frame of guns that had that issue. Mine cracked and besides not having a gun for a few weeks (6,000 mile round trip) Keltec's customer service is second to none. I've had zero issues since and have put 1000+ rounds through it.
Thanks for confirming I don't have total dementia (lol)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've only known one person IRL who had a cracked one. This happened years ago before I had a S2K. I have S2K in 40 and 9 and haven't had a problem.

It is a fun and light PCC. I think you will enjoy yours!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had mine for a good long while.
Always had some kind of issue. It's an earlier 2nd gen.
Issues include, a random fire, double fire, trigger seizing ... more than once, the trigger rubbed and pushed down the trigger gaurd when firing which was ridiculous.. like it was too long, the front sight block was WEAK.. Went back to KT 2 times before I gave up and just installed all the mcarbo guts and cleaned out the inside myself. Now it shoots great but I can't manage to keep the front sight aligned. Somewhere along the way the hand guard plastic cracked..
I honestly wish KT had just replaced my gun with a newer model.. I really dislike my sub.. but I keep up with it like it's my kid and I have no choice.

I've shot and modded a few of the newer 2nd gen guns, and they seem to be a lot nicer. I know the factory trigger on the newer ones is WAY better than mine was. I just got done with my brother in laws brand new sub. Pulled it all apart, painted it, full mcarbo install. It's MUCH nicer than mine. KT does have a way of making things better over time. I don't really like the weird, quarter turn, rear 'nut' on the new ones though. There is no other gun like the sub and the best first mod IMO is the taller folding rear sight, recoil buffer and bolt tube sleeve from MCarbo now that tacticool is selling cheap 3d prints. Get some fun sticks and enjoy shooting it.

If you open it up to put in the mcarbo guts, which you should, it will be gross in there..

As far as cleaning it goes... It's so easy to get to everything that matters you may as well get at it with proper cleaning gear. I've never had a problem with any chemicals I've used. I lube stuff up with frog lube. Shotgun mops are your friend with the bolt tube.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
<snip> Now it shoots great but I can't manage to keep the front sight aligned. Somewhere along the way the hand guard plastic cracked..
I honestly wish KT had just replaced my gun with a newer model.. I really dislike my sub.. but I keep up with it like it's my kid and I have no choice.

I've shot and modded a few of the newer 2nd gen guns, and they seem to be a lot nicer. <snip>
Why not sell it to someone you don't like and buy an updated version? After removing the MCarbp parts and re-installing the OEM parts of course and a new handguard. Maybe buy the new one first and do the other at your leisure?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why not sell it to someone you don't like and buy an updated version? After removing the MCarbp parts and re-installing the OEM parts of course and a new handguard. Maybe buy the new one first and do the other at your leisure?
I'm stubborn, and Don't give up on stuff.
I like the stainless.
I learn more from the process and I didn't pay much for this particular specimen. Got it before prices skyrocketed.
I'm honestly considering keeping it unfolded 90% of the time and running a permanent red dot. My KNS front post came in today over the weekend. Gonna swap out the blitzkrieg and see how I can get it to run. I mean, IF I can get it to hold zero I'll be fine with it as is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts