Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I bought my first KT this week, a G2 Sub2000. I’ve been admiring them for a while. My buddy (of 30+ years) owns a gun shop and had 2 in stock. I stopped in for ammo and one followed me home.

As many others have written in this forum, I find the sights a little low. Useable but low.
I like the minimalist look of the rifle and don’t want to put a complicated red dot set up on it. I am thinking about a small laser mounted under the barrel. I don’t have lasers on any of my other guns, long or pistols.
I am looking at several lasers but they all seem to be designed for pistols and they “hug” the trigger guard. I was thinking that I might mount a small angled foregrip and mount the laser in front of that.

Any input would be welcomed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
I bought my first KT this week, a G2 Sub2000. I’ve been admiring them for a while. My buddy (of 30+ years) owns a gun shop and had 2 in stock. I stopped in for ammo and one followed me home.

As many others have written in this forum, I find the sights a little low. Useable but low.
I like the minimalist look of the rifle and don’t want to put a complicated red dot set up on it. I am thinking about a small laser mounted under the barrel. I don’t have lasers on any of my other guns, long or pistols.
I am looking at several lasers but they all seem to be designed for pistols and they “hug” the trigger guard. I was thinking that I might mount a small angled foregrip and mount the laser in front of that.

I bought a green Pinty laser for mine and I love it. The laser is the size of a flashlight and comes with picatinny mounts, and even a battery. It adjusts with positive clicks and can be seen in daylight, but you'll struggle to find it if the sun is bright. Great customer service from Pinty.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
While lasers have their uses (I do have one on a carry pistol) they really lose effectiveness in daylight conditions beyond about 25 or 30 feet. The dot simply washes out from bright light at longer distances and you end up looking for it instead of relying on your sights. So I don't know if you would find it as effective as you want on the longer shooting Sub. If it is your home defense gun then by all means you would find it useful at indoor distances and lower light conditions. This is something that in the past I would generally try a cheaper version of just to try out the concept before I would spring for a higher priced and more reliable product. They are out there and your gun store guy would probably be more helpful in recommendations than our membership. Not that we aren't helpful, but you will find almost as many opinions as you will find responses on this subject. Just my 2 cents. And I'm a guy who loved to hang stuff off my Subbie!

And if you search on your own be sure to use Picatinny mount in your search. ;)

Reactions: ToddB223

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It is not intended for home defense. That’s covered by other assets. It’s just a platform that I found interesting so I decided to get one.
Traditionally, I view lasers as a sort of crutch. I believe that money is better spent on range time and practice then a point and click solution.
That’s sad it might be an interesting way to augment the somewhat cumbersome stock sites.

Thanks for the links to the other threads, I’ll read through them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Definitely go green. Consider one with a light as they add little to the size and you really want to be able see what you are shooting at in the conditions the laser is suitable for. The laser should be treated as the secondary site system IMO. Never allow it to become a crutch that diminishes your skill using your irons. If you spend change on one you get a toy IME. That’s fine if it’s just a plunked range toy. If you plan to actually count on the sub for serious situations the money you save when it fails in the moment of truth will be a bitter pill to swallow. Crimson trace and Viridian both make decent lasers that do not require a second mortgage be taken out. NcStar is best avoided even for range toys IMO. Remember the sweetness of a cheap deal is long forgotten when the bitter taste of a sour deal becomes evident.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Not what you want to hear, but before I would hang a laser on it I'd put a micro red dot on it. I've written this so many times, I'm getting as tired of writing it as folks here are of reading it, a red dot absolutely makes the rifle come alive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not what you want to hear, but before I would hang a laser on it I'd put a micro red dot on it. I've written this so many times, I'm getting as tired of writing it as folks here are of reading it, a red dot absolutely makes the rifle come alive.
Your input is appreciated. And I would normally do a red dot if not for the folding. I’ll consider it. I saw the MCARBO folding mount but I don’t like the way it hangs off the side when the rifle is folded.
thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new KT! I also went with a red dot optic. I don't really need to fold my rifle since it's for home defense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely go green. Consider one with a light as they add little to the size and you really want to be able see what you are shooting at in the conditions the laser is suitable for. The laser should be treated as the secondary site system IMO. Never allow it to become a crutch that diminishes your skill using your irons. If you spend change on one you get a toy IME. That’s fine if it’s just a plunked range toy. If you plan to actually count on the sub for serious situations the money you save when it fails in the moment of truth will be a bitter pill to swallow. Crimson trace and Viridian both make decent lasers that do not require a second mortgage be taken out. NcStar is best avoided even for range toys IMO. Remember the sweetness of a cheap deal is long forgotten when the bitter taste of a sour deal becomes evident.
yes. It’s just meant to augment the irons. It’s no replacement for range time.
I’ll just be using the S2k for some fun and a back up to other assets.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Your input is appreciated. And I would normally do a red dot if not for the folding. I’ll consider it. I saw the MCARBO folding mount but I don’t like the way it hangs off the side when the rifle is folded.
thanks.
I shot competition with my Midwest Industries folding mount for a few years. Never any problem. I got to the range unfolded the gun, swiveled the sight into place and it was sighted in. Over and over for years. No problems. If there were going to be problems competition would have shown them. Yeah, I don't like the MCarbo mount either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I shot competition with my Midwest Industries folding mount for a few years. Never any problem. I got to the range unfolded the gun, swiveled the sight into place and it was sighted in. Over and over for years. No problems. If there were going to be problems competition would have shown them. Yeah, I don't like the MCarbo mount either.
I like that Midwest Industries mount, but I have a Gen-1 with the KT quad rail forend, so it won't fit my rifle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

Hi and congratulations on your purchase. I have the same gun, chambered in 9mm. I’ve found it easier to deal with the rear sight by placing the stock in its longest adjustment setting. I have also drilled out the rear sight, making the hole a bit larger.

I too like the gun in its minimal basic format.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

16105061632358597030495874915425.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a green laser from aliexpress.com for $17.22 shipped in Jan 2018. Even included a pressure switch. It's probably a couple more dollars but works well. Same one that Sportsman guide carried for $30+.

geo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I figured it out and I like it quite a bit. I haven’t fired it with the foregrip and laser yet but it feels great, easy to operate. The foregrip is very small and keeps with the minimal look and function of the rifle.
XTS Compact pistol green laser $80 at CTD
Leaper’s Ultra Slim Angled Picatinny Foregrip, $21 at CTD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts