Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Ive seen many threads about them breaking apart at receiver. Mine is different. After shooting maybe 200 rounds, the bolt got stuck back. I then noticed the upper feed ramp protruding through the top of the frame, the crown nut off its spot, the top seam separated.

I've already sent an email to kel tec. But in the meantime, anyone have something similar or thoughts.

Sub 2k .40, glock 17/22 using glock magazines and federal .40 s&w ammo.

Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd leave it as-is and let Kel Tec tell you what to do. I understand their customer service is very good. Fortunately I've not had to experience it first hand. I'm sure they will make it right, one way or another. Best of luck!

·
Administrator
32,037 Posts
Obviously, it needs to go back. The service department is pretty thorough so odds of a good outcome are high. Assuming a relatively new gun, you might ask KT for Call Tag to cover shipping. The warranty states the owner is responsible for in-shipping but sometimes they will accommodate.

Reactions: ToddB223

·
Registered
107 Posts
The OD green and desert tan models had a brief run of defective hardware. Contact Kel-Tec and they will tell you if your Sub 2K falls in that small window.

Mine did and I contacted them on a Wednesday. They sent me an overnight label and I received it BACK on Saturday! Best customer service in the industry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess we will see. I emailed them, but understand they are out for the holidays.
I have not touched it since thus happened. Just took pictures and out it away. Bought it new, a couple weeks ago. 3rd time at the range with it.
I just dont see anyone else with this issue in my searches.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If I haven't yet, allow me to welcome you to the forum!

Yeah, it happened 'cause the big nut came off. It's held on with a black Loc-tite product at the factory and in the picture I see little to no evidence of it being applied on yours. Can you see any? I'm just curious.

I fully expect they'll take care of you. But if it should happen again just take a break and screw it back on by hand. FWIW, It's not common for it to come undone.

So before it came apart how did you like the .40 version?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I haven't yet, allow me to welcome you to the forum!

Yeah, it happened 'cause the big nut came off. It's held on with a black Loc-tite product at the factory and in the picture I see little to no evidence of it being applied on yours. Can you see any? I'm just curious.

I fully expect they'll take care of you. But if it should happen again just take a break and screw it back on by hand. FWIW, It's not common for it to come undone.

So before it came apart how did you like the .40 version?
I really enjoy it. My wife and kids shot it with no recoil issues. I do plan on putting a full mcarbo upgrade kit.
The castle nut has that interlocking system, does not really get tight. But also little to no thread lock residue. But glad I bought it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I really enjoy it. My wife and kids shot it with no recoil issues. I do plan on putting a full mcarbo upgrade kit.
The castle nut has that interlocking system, does not really get tight. But also little to no thread lock residue. But glad I bought it.
Unless you just want to do the work, get a price from Kel-Tec about putting in the mcarbo upgrades if you have to send it in for repair. I understand that they work with mcarbo very closely and it makes sure the work doesn't void any warranty. And welcome to the S2k world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wondering what happened to the collar. Did it slide up the butt stock tube on its own?

Welcome to the forum!
My wife was shooting, she thought she was empty as trigger did not engage. She went to put on safe and we both noticed rounds still at top of magazine by feed ramp. But bolt was stuck open. Looked further and noticed castle nut his slid down off of plastic and then noticed the split in the frame and upper feed ramp protruding through.

Not sure what else besides that nut is supposed to keep upper frame area together. The mid frame near trigger has the bolts, but above the bolt area and into sights area, dont really see any such bolts holding from side to side.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My wife was shooting, she thought she was empty as trigger did not engage. She went to put on safe and we both noticed rounds still at top of magazine by feed ramp. But bolt was stuck open. Looked further and noticed castle nut his slid down off of plastic and then noticed the split in the frame and upper feed ramp protruding through.

Not sure what else besides that nut is supposed to keep upper frame area together. The mid frame near trigger has the bolts, but above the bolt area and into sights area, dont really see any such bolts holding from side to side.
That's pretty crazy, glad no one got hurt. I hope customer service takes care of it for you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That castle nut looks like the one on mine and as far as I can see, provides nothing but a cover for the end:

Everything's polymer, no threads, just a small twist-lock. I did install a sling mounting plate on mine a while back which keeps the nut from moving, but that was probably with over 1000rnds thru it already:

I would say the bolts holding the 2 halves of the gun together do more than that nut. Being thin polymer/plastic it's just not strong enough to hold if that's what it's purpose is. More of a cap than nut.

Are/were/did the bolts holding the sides together loosen? Whatever, seems to be a first, sorry but I'm sure Kel-Tec will do you right. I've really enjoyed shooting mine and have a few of the MCarbo metal parts in, replacing the polymer trigger, trigger guard, and feed ramp.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Gmannewt, curious when your Sub 2K was mfg? If I remember correctly, mine was made in July 2018. Based on my serial number Kel-tec said it was during the defective furniture run. They would not give me specifics of the time frame but I believe it was a relatively short period.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've never taken mine off, so I don't know if it's threaded onto something or not. I always assumed it was, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just watched the Mcarbo web site video on installing their extended magazine release. During disassembly of the rifle, it shows that the collar/nut is threaded, but the plastic receiver of the rifle is not threaded.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts