Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post, new KelTec owner, and new to thektog.org. i just accepted delivery on a brand new gen 2 Sub 2000 yesterday. the weapon is chambered for .40 S&W and is configured to accept Glock 22 mags. took the weapon out today to fire it for the first time. on the 5th bullet fired from the weapon i experienced FTF. approximately 25 rounds later, i had the SAME problem!!
initially thinking it was the type of ammo, i swapped from the hollow points (after the 5th shot) to target rounds. it happened using 2 different types of ammunition; Remington HTP jacketed hollow points and American Eagle target rounds.

has anyone else experienced FTF with their gen 2 sub2k within the first 50 or 100 rounds? why is this happening on a brand new firearm? i have read numerous stellar reviews especially regarding the reliability
weSresUg.jpeg
iAyvayFQ.jpeg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately no. i was so excited to go shoot it, i overlooked initial cleaning. today, however, field stripped it and gave it a thorough cleaning before taking it out shooting again today. no issues with any malfunctions today!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you clean and lube your new rifle first?glock or mag pull mag?
The weapon is configured to accept Glock22 magazines.

·
Registered
499 Posts
An initial cleaning is always recommended despite what some people say. It gets less finicky once you get it broken in. Every firearm has it's own "personality".

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An initial cleaning is always recommended despite what some people say. It gets less finicky once you get it broken in. Every firearm has it's own "personality".
thanks for your response VegasSub2K!! i figured these 2 issues were the problem (not initially cleaning the weapon, and the break-in phase). 105 rounds through it now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
thanks for your response VegasSub2K!! i figured these 2 issues were the problem (not initially cleaning the weapon, and the break-in phase). 105 rounds through it now.
If you continue to have problems, you might want to consider polishing the feed ramp or go hog wild and order the steel one from KelTec. Also, some guns can be just plain finicky with certain types or brands of ammo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you continue to have problems, you might want to consider polishing the feed ramp or go hog wild and order the steel one from KelTec. Also, some guns can be just plain finicky with certain types or brands of ammo.
a full MCARBO upgrade is in the works. money is the only thing holding me back from it!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear is running good now!
will take it out shooting again by Wednesday at the latest. will post up to date on it's performance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
took the weapon out yesterday, put 100 cartridges through it. on the THIRD trigger pull i experienced FTF again!!..... this was after JUST cleaning and lubricating the weapon.

this makes 3 FTF malfunctions in 200 rounds! not happy with a 1.5% malfunction rate!

any suggestions on how to fix this issue? i have not given up on the weapon yet, but i need something that is reliable!

·
Registered
499 Posts
took the weapon out yesterday, put 100 cartridges through it. on the THIRD trigger pull i experienced FTF again!!..... this was after JUST cleaning and lubricating the weapon.

this makes 3 FTF malfunctions in 200 rounds! not happy with a 1.5% malfunction rate!

any suggestions on how to fix this issue? i have not given up on the weapon yet, but i need something that is reliable!
Not sure what is going on with your particular rifle but some things to explore: Same magazine and if so is it Glock 22 mag or magpul mag? Try a different mag. 200 rounds does not constitute being broken in. Lastly, same ammo? Try another. Inspect the feedramp for any gouging or rough spots. Hollow points don't cycle well on some rifles so stay with round nose. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what is going on with your particular rifle but some things to explore: Same magazine and if so is it Glock 22 mag or magpul mag? Try a different mag. 200 rounds does not constitute being broken in. Lastly, same ammo? Try another. Inspect the feedramp for any gouging or rough spots. Hollow points don't cycle well on some rifles so stay with round nose. Hope this helps.
thanks!! two of the 3 malfunctions occurred using hollow-point cartridges. and I have been using multiple types of ammunition. 2 of them happened using the ammunition pictured above, the most recent (that i just described), happened using 180gr Remington hollow-points (pictured below). i do plan on installing the full MCARBO internal pro trigger package very soon; as i have a feeling that the problem ultimately lies with the stock feed-ramp.
ttCJ0edg.jpeg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zero problems when firing the 50 cartridges of this PMC Bronze 165gr target ammo.
BwQeQLWk.jpeg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also only have the single, stock magazine. i have not tried a new/different mag yet! thanks again for the comments!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear is running good now!
had FTF again yesterday, on the third round fired... after a good cleaning and lube just prior to shooting it.. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still hp ammo? Try running some different ammo and get glock factory mags
yes i plan on purchasing a pair of authentic Glock22, 22 round mags! gonna go buck wild and buy a 50 round drum for it too, just for fun!

Reactions: BlakeHanson

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Everytime on the 3rd shot, sounds a bit like it could be mag related. Maybe try another mag or dissassemble and clean the one you're using, look for flash lines in the polymer tube inside, etc and make sure the follower is depressing and releasing smoothly. And/or try other mags. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have had a .40 Sub 2000 for a while that I use in ASI carbine matches. Mine has the full Mccarbo treatment. A couple of caveats: (1) It is fussy about magazines and only works well with OEM Glock 15 rounders, have had horrible jams with OEM 22 rounders during the first several shots, suspect the mag weight pulls it somewhat loose, have the Mcarbo extended release which might not lock it in as tight as the KelTec release. (2) It really prefers my handloaded 180 gr. RNFP heavily powered loads. Suggest sticking with round nose loads, no hollow points. The jam issues I've had appear to be totally magazine related.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts