New Su 22 owner

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Scorp61, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Scorp61

Scorp61 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I will have a Su22 ina week and wanted to know if there are any must upgrades/mods for it?

[edit]Edited for rules violation. We do not buy or sell in the gun forums. Please read the forum rules. You were PMed a link upon registration so check your messages. Thanks.[/edit]

2. sparkyy

sparkyy New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ammo.. lots of ammo... it is a hoot to shoot. have fun.

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'd agree with the ammo recommendation - thousands of rounds! You might want another magazine or two, and the Christie's mag loader is a good investment IMO. Both are available at Black Dog Machine LLC's website. Google, or their website is posted in many other threads in the SU-22 forum.

Hopefully, owners will post pictures in the new pictures thread stickied at the top of the SU-22 forum and you can get some more ideas.

4. Scorp61

Scorp61 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I just recieved my rifle today and noticed that it has some rust on the inside where the barrel and receiver. There also some on the serial numbers but my gunsmith took care or that. Is there an easy way to get rid of the rust, i do not want to have to send it to kel tec after just getting it.

5. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Light surface rust can be remove easily with gun oil and a clean cloth. Spray on lots of oil, let it soak in a minute or so, and rub it out. That only works where you have access.

I didn't quite understand where the rust was. Something about the barrel and the receiver?

I'd make sure that Kel-Tec knows about this problem. I'd call customer service and tell them. Obviously, they don't want customers receiving guns with any rust on them. They coat the firearms with oil for shipping to prevent that problem. If they need to improve the process, the only way they'll know that is to get feedback. Otherwise, unless they hear otherwise, they'll assume that everything is OK. Buying a new firearm with some rust on it is not going to make a positive quality impression.

Got pictures? I'd like to see the problem for myself.

6. Scorp61

Scorp61 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Here are the picutes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Well, that doesn't look too bad, but I still think Kel-Tec needs to see this to fix it.

Another option if you're into light amateur gunsmithing is cold bluing. OxPho bluing from Brownells doesn't require surface prep. You could just daub it on with a Q-Tip and when the reaction is complete, it'd displace the light surface rust and replace it with a nice black bluing. Oil over the bluing and it's better than new.

8. Scorp61

Scorp61 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Thanks Liberty, I'll see what KT says, then most likely fix it myself.