New SU-22 experiences

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by hawk78, Jun 15, 2010.

1. hawk78

hawk78 New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    My SU-22 was bought brand new. I've had it out shooting twice, probably around 200 rounds through it. I love the ghost ring rear, works nicely for me. Handles very nicely, much nicer than a 10/22 for me anyway.

I started out with a field strip and cleaning, and ever since the first mag about 7 rounds out of 10 jam the bolt open; with nose of bullet against feedramp. The others that do make it up the feedramp are most of the time damaged from the impact against the feedramp. They're bent in half, you know like bullet pulled slightly out of the casing on one side, like Rem Golden Bullets are sometimes. This is with Remington Viper, Aguila something-or-other???, Federal blue box, and CCI's. I've had my share of 22's jam, but never quite as dramatic as the fashion these wedge against the bottom of the feedramp.

I do see that there are a few others here having jamming experiences with these, and that sending it back for service could be the ticket. I think that is what I will do, unless there is any other recommendation of something to try.

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    The Remington Golden Bullets are jam-o-matic for most SU22 rifles, but the Federal blue box should work, and probably others on your list too.

You did put the buffer back in when you cleaned it? Oriented correctly?

Try loading up a magazine, then push the top round down with your thumb and release it. Do the rounds pop up quickly? If there's much delay, you may get feeding errors. If so, try cleaning the mag. I swab it out with RemOil and then use a dry towel to mop up the excess oil and leave a slick Teflon film finish.

3. Baird

Baird New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I also use this SU-22 experiences with own hands.its a extremly good working.Thanks to share it.

4. hawk78

hawk78 New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Yes, buffer is in correctly. Made sure of that. I will check out the mag tonight and clean it if the way you state if there is a hangup. Thanks.

5. hawk78

hawk78 New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Well the mag seemed to be ok, the follower doesn't seem to stick at all. I cleaned it anyway, and manually cycled a few full mags through the gun to see what would happen. No hangups at all, though I can't cycle the bolt fast enough to show what will happen when shooting. Hopefully I can get a chance to go try her out again soon. Though a new baby and the closing of the nearest public range will make that difficult :)

6. Mr_G

Mr_G New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Based on my experience.

Use Federal bulk 550. After 1000 rounds it will begin to accept other ammo. I still cant fire CCI'S And Blazer works just ok, but Federal Match and Winchester 333 work great.

If you can stock up on the Fed bulk 550 -cheap and reliable.