Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First post here. I just put down a deposit on a new SU-16CA. I can't wait! This rifle will fill a niche that's been hard to fill, especially in California. Have a couple nagging questions though. I have not selected a serial number yet, and need some advice on the shelf model from the store.

The polymer stock of this gun appears to be two pieces that are held together by screws, enclosing the trigger group, barrel etc. The trigger guard on the display model I can select has about a millimeter gap in between the two pieces, and I can easily stick a fingernail in there and split them apart. The crack in-between the polymer along the rifle has several areas with a..larger than confidence-inspiring gap. This makes me very hesitant to get the shelf model. Is this normal? Can this be tightened down or something? I don't see any nearby screws for the trigger guard and the stock screws seem pretty tight. Upon close inspection of videos of this gun this problem doesn't appear to exist on any of the rifles other people own.

This is where it gets complicated. There are no other shops in my local that have or can even order this rifle from their distributors. I was told that I can either buy the shelf model, or wait until Kel-Tec ships an order of SU-16s. With hurricane Irma ravaging Florida and (what would appear to be) Kel-Tec being out of commission for a little while, I could potentially be waiting a LONG time for these shipments to show up.

Should I just pick up the shelf model? Or expand my search to a much larger area? How long could I expect to wait for this supposed shipment of new rifles to arrive?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reassurance! Turners warehouse JUST got a shipment of around 30 SU-16s. The other stores confirmed that little gap is on the gun they have as well. I ordered one from the warehouse. Can't wait to pick it up! I already have a bunch of accessories on the way. Going to be fun sighting her in and then deciding what weight ammo she likes the best. Hopefully 55gr is good enough, but I'll try a variety. I've read 60-70 is the sweet spot. I'll post in the photo thread once I get her.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: The rifle I got was missing a screw on the trigger guard. (Ironic). I ordered the MCARBO upgrade kit and will contact Kel-Tec for a replacement. Otherwise everything looks good to go. Has 1:7 twist new barrel, updated magazines and firing pin.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you got the trigger and trigger spring from mcarbo you will really like it. Totally changed my rifle. Sorry about missing a screw. Hopefully that can be fixed. They are fun rifles. Enjoy

·
Registered
510 Posts
I bought mine used (100 rounds?) about 5 years ago and it has been a delight. If you had to run this would be the gun to carry. Mine weighs 6 lbs 1 oz completely outfitted with 2 loaded mags in the butt.

The gun is fast handling and runs perfectly. Mine has a 1:9 Barrel but it also has Chrome Lined Bore, and it is easily 1.5" gun at 100 yards with a Red Dot Optic and anything I put in it.

Side Mounted Sling is also the way to go and I outlined how to do that in another thread yesterday.

I personally don't think you can go wrong with one of these guns. Same Mags as AR, same firepower as AR, has two spare mags in the butt, it folds in half, and is completely legal in CA.

What might have happened on the gap you mention is there might be a plastic flash left over that needs to be trimmed and just got missed during the run. I'm sure KT will fix it.

These guns are kind of scarce so if you want one and you actually can hold it in your hands I'd suggest buying it and dealing with any minor problems after the fact.

I haven't seen any generic class guns that didn't require a little TLC after they came home. Doesn't matter how much they cost they all need something.

Mine has the KT M4 Fore end that eliminates the nearly useless bipod. A Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot, a side mounted 1.5" sling, a YHM Muzzle break (Legal in CA) and a quick disconnect take down pin I made. The light comes and goes as needed.

The gun has gone to several Front Sight Rifle Classes and has shown itself to be well up to the task. Second place in the 60 person Man on Man shoot off is not too shabby. Got beat by .3 seconds in the final by an Ex Marine Scout Sniper fresh back from AFG. I was 64 he was 27! He wanted to trade me guns.

Randy

Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Airsoft

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice! I tightened down the screws on the trigger guard and it appeared to close the gap I was afraid of. I have already started the modification process. Going with a safety style latch pin, spray painted black. I found it was quieter and more comfortable than a latch pin and will stay on when folded. Ordered the complete MCARBO kit with trigger, spring, and screw set, so I'll be replacing all of those. I ordered the red lion aluminum forend with a short rail section for a low-profile hand stop. On the top I have a 45' rail mount where I'll put a similar optic to what you have so I can use the iron sights for longer range targets. Since mine came with the 1:7 twist barrel I picked up a bunch of 75 and 77 grain ammo, in addition to the 62 grain bulk for practice out to longer ranges. I went with the Miculek comp, seemed to be pretty decent. I read an article that compared like 30 different muzzle brakes and they were all pretty close in performance.

The only thing I don't have down the road is a sling attachment. How did you get those points on there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have C Defense Products 10rd magazines. They don't lock in the stock, but perhaps they could be dimpled to do so, I'm probably not going to tackle that experiment for some time. I like them they feel solid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took it to the range today for the first time!

Had a lot of trouble sighting it in. It was shooting low and to the left, about 4 inches both ways. The front post did not want to budge. Had a range officer almost break his tool and have to use a knife to turn it. After some fanangling it was zeroed in at 25 yards.

Shot 80 rounds of 55 grain reman bulk ammo. Ran flawlessly, but not very consistent. I then ran some reman bulk 77 grain ammo which was VERY accurate. Definitely likes the heavier ammo, but can't be sure. Both were from the same distributor.

First impressions:
-It gets HOT. Even with he red lion aluminum forend acting as a heat sink, hot hot hot. Thank goodness I had a little rail on there. I will get the longer one.
-Sights are great, just hard to adjust.
-1:7 twist is VERY accurate with heavier bullets. The 77gr HPBT ammo I was using was pin point accurate and was reloaded bulk.
-Not very accurate with 55 gr ammo, but I bet with very-well made brands could do alright.
-Without any modification of the magwell, none of the mags I have drop free.
-I really like the AK style piston action with AR appearance, modularity and magazines.
-Trigger wasn't actually that bad, a little mushy but reminds me of my shield.

Overall I absolutely love the SU16-CA. VERY glad I got this instead of a mini 14 or bastardized AR. 10/10.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I can't the idea of this or the 16c model out of my mind. I already have ar15 with 300 blackout upper. Still the kel tech is interesting. Hard to find at a decent price. Until I find one i will have to live through the rest of you guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.