New shorter magazines coming soon

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by ktwm, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Just got word that BlackDogMachine (the company that makes the mags for the SU/PLR22) will have shorter 15 round magazines available.

They will fit into the stock of the SU-22CA and they will allow the underfolder C-stock to function while the mag is inserted. This means that a production SU-22C model is now likelly.  The shorter magazine should allow for easier bench-rest shooting.

They should be available from BDM in a few weeks and cost slightly less than the currently available 27rnd mags.
    http://blackdogmachinellc.net/atchisson-ciener---15-rnd-full-body-magazine---smoke-shorten.aspx

[​IMG]

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    This is some very welcome news. Inserting the mag after unfolding the stock wasn't too big a deal for me, but being able to unfold the stock, pull back on the operating handle and start plinking will be a bit nicer.

I knew BDM was working on the shorter magazine, but I know how companies can have the best intentions and just not be able to find the time to complete a project like this.

Now if they would just finish the injection molded version of their magazine loader so it's not $120. Hopefully, that's a hot project and they're working hard at it.

Hey ktwm, can you tell us how many SU-22 and PLR-22 firearms Kel-Tec has managed to ship so far? Inquiring minds want to know. I hope these .22s will be big sellers for Kel-Tec. With the ammo prices I've been seeing lately, I think they were a smart move.

3. The_Fall_Guy

The_Fall_Guy New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Very nice, I look forward to picking up a few :)

4. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    dibs on the first su 22 C

5. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
  6. cmreds

cmreds New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Can't wait to pick those up. Wish I would have known before I bought my last 3 26 rounders.

7. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Too late! :p

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1218851532/0

[​IMG]

She's mighty sweet, too!

The shorter mag that allows the Charlie stock to fold with a mag inserted will be nice, though.
    [/quote]

Ok, so are they shipping the C variant, or did someone just put the C stock onto an A version? If C is out htere, where is it and how can I get it?

8. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I had the Charlie stock left over from when I converted my SU-16C to an SU-16E. I liked the Charlie stock on the SU-16, but I like it better with a pistol grip AR stock. I liked the Alpha stock on the SU-22CA, but I like it better with the Charlie stock.

I'd like to try the Charlie stock on the PLR-16, but the darn BATFE says I can't do that. :(

There will be a Kel-Tec side folder soon to make my SU life even more complicated.

With the shorter BDM mags, Kel-Tec will be shipping an SU-22C soon from the factory so you won't need to buy the SU-22CA and then buy the Charlie stock and trigger group. Woot!

9. Zer0DazE

Zer0DazE New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Are the 10rd mags going to be based on these new shorter mags?

10. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'm not sure, but I get the feeling, reading between the lines, that the 10 round mags are for people in gun ban states who wish they could have the real thing and they'll keep selling the full length mags that are crippled to only accept ten rounds because of the looks. It's a fashion thing. The shorter magazines with higher capacity is a functional thing. They may make a 10 round version of the shorter magazine for functional purposes in states that outlaw those evil high capacity magazines, but I'd be surprised if BDM eliminated their 10 round mags that look like 30 round AR mags.

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Thanks for the news on the 15rd mags.

More importantly, what is the picture for current and future production?  I can't find an SU22 anywhere and I really needed one months ago.  It's like a gun emergency.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

12. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    I have seen many more SU-22's being built last week. so they are/will be getting out there.

These new short magazines are not even out yet, so there is no release date for the underfolder SU-22C yet. We still need to get some samples and then order them in quantities, before this happens. We should know more after the SHOT show in January.

It does make sense for BDM to make 10 rounders out of this shorter profile (It's supposed to be the same length as a 20rounder AR mag). But that is up to BDM (feel free to e-mail them about this). I would expect that the current stock of full-profile 10 rounders would be sold, before switching to a short profile 10 round mag.

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Thanks for the news on production.  I'll remain hopeful and keep and eye out.  I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but what mag does the SU22 ship with?  Is it a full sized BD mag constricted to 10 rounds to simplify matters related to regional capacity restrictions, or do free-staters get a full capacity mag?

14. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Currently all the SU/PLR-22's ship to the distributors with high cap mags. The distributor can swap out the mag to a 10 rounder if he decides to ships it to a restricted state. Or the retailer can swap it out.

15. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    As of last night/wee hours this morning, they are orderable. I ordered some.

buzzsaw

16. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Thanks for the heads up buzzsaw. I just ordered one shorter 15 round magazine to try. I don't see any need for a lot of magazines for the SU-22. For any practical use I have, I'd have been happy with a 15 round tubular magazine. I guess I could be overrun by zombie squirrels and need quick mag changes.

[​IMG]

I look forward to trying the shorter mag with my Charlie underfolding stock, and I'll certainly post my impressions when I do.

17. The_Fall_Guy

The_Fall_Guy New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Cool, I'll be curious to see how far it sticks out past the mag well. I'm hoping it doesn't stick out past the grip. This way I can narrow down my search for a gun case.

18. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Has anyone tried the skinny mags?

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/ciener-skinny-body-smoke.aspx

[​IMG]

This skinny mag looks great to me and I like the practical side of less space and less weight so it's easier to carry. I'm not interested in the .223 look and the large magazines for the little .22 cartridges look a bit goofy to me. Darn. I already ordered the 15 round shorty magazine tonight, and now I might need to pay another shipping charge and make another order.

19. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    The first BDM mag I got was the skinny mag. The early molded ones had some extra material near the feedlips that had to be trimmed, but I believe BDM updated the mold and the new skinny mags may actually feed better than the full size ones now. They seem a little flimsier, and you do not have the indentations in the mag to help you grab them, but they work fine, and have more capacity.

20. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Five more rounds - five less dollars.  Lighter and less storage space too. I think I'll try those if I ever find and SU22.