Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, got to playin' around with my new "toy," which is intended to serve as my gal's home defense go-to (whenever I'm not home :D ), and cycled a few snap caps through it. These are brass-cased snap caps with plastic insides, and generally speaking they're pretty durable - they don't get their rims torn up by extractors as quickly as those aluminum A-Zoom brand ones I've been using before - but the Sub 2000 was just chewing the ever-lovin' heck out of them. Just from one cycle apiece (the one on the right in the pic was re-used two or three times), there are CUTS in the brass on the side that leave sharp edges and a "smiley" type cut/dent in the nose. It doesn't hang up or anything when hand-cycling, unless I ease the bolt forward slowly (then it sticks badly enough I have to drop the mag to clear it out), but it sure cuts the heck out of the sides of the snap caps and bangs up the noses.

Anything in particular I should be looking at to polish or smooth off or whatever before I go taking it to the range? This seems very unusual, as I've cycled these things through several guns before and they don't leave a single mark on them at all. :confused:

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sooooooooo, nobody's ever heard of this? Or nobody has any earthly idea what could be causing it? :confused:

I've given the inside of the receiver and the chamber a close look and I don't see/feel any weird burrs or sharp edges or anything.

No ideas?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Could the chamber be a little on the rough side? It doesn't take much to scuff brass.
Edit ,Never mind I looked at the pictures again . I don't have a clue .

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am wondering what the OAL of them is. 147gr length RN can do that on some guns. What is a live 115gr doing? Compare lengths side by side. Are you feeding these right out of the mag?

I am guessing you haven't shot this?

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't shot it yet. Was hoping to get to the range today, but the sitter we had lined up called off sick, so we had a family outing instead of a "date day" at the range. Maybe tomorrow. This thing with the snap caps was just something I noticed when I was doing my pre-range inspection/lube of the gun. Rounds are being fed from the mag - I never drop rounds straight into the chamber on semi-autos.

·
Registered
471 Posts
id try to cycle live rounds and see if they leave a mark.. If so id take a bore light and inspect the chamber, maybe take a brass rod to it.. could be some machining residue left behind..

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took a peek at some of the spent brass today while I was at the range. Scuff marks on the brass in the same spots from firing as where it CUT the brass before when hand-cycling, but no jams ... except for one of the ETS magazines. It works, sooooo ... I dunno. Still can't see anything in the chamber or anywhere else to account for where the marks are coming from, but it's apparently not causing any problems, sooooo ... if it works, don't fix it, right? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.