Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The March 2016 issue of American Rifleman features Ruger's new "American Pistol" series.

This might not be surprising to anyone who's looked inside an LCP or LC9 (I haven't), but the trigger bar and trigger axis caught my eye...

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Attachments

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
To be honest, I would have been really, really eager to get the Ruger American Pistol (RAP) if only they had not made those pointy corners at the rear of the grip frame near the slide, and if they had given the .45 ACP a bigger capacity to match the Glock 21. Imitation or not, it does seem to function pretty well, but they just really screwed up with the shape of the grip frame, and the RAP doesn't really offer much of anything over anyone else's current offerings on the market, like the M&P's, Glocks, XD's, etc. ... especially for the price that RAP's are being sold for.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
To be honest, I would have been really, really eager to get the Ruger American Pistol (RAP) if only they had not made those pointy corners at the rear of the grip frame near the slide, and if they had given the .45 ACP a bigger capacity to match the Glock 21. Imitation or not, it does seem to function pretty well, but they just really screwed up with the shape of the grip frame, and the RAP doesn't really offer much of anything over anyone else's current offerings on the market, like the M&P's, Glocks, XD's, etc. ... especially for the price that RAP's are being sold for.
I agree completely and I'm no Gluck fan. I'm still trying to figure out why Ruger made it in the first place especially with such a small 45ACP payload! If I wanted one of these pistols, I would seriously be looking at buying a Gluck for the first time in my life. This is the same reason I couldn't bring myself to ever purchase the SR45 because it also has too small of a payload. Give me am 8+1 full size 1911 any day of the week. I'm not going to carry a much wider gun with only two additional rounds.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
The main reason Ruger created the RAP was to throw their hat in the ring for the new military standard sidearm contract. They pretty much catered to the specs of that contest, which included things like having a modular frame with interchangeable grips and grip frames, available in common NATO calibers (notice they came out with 9mm and .45 ACP first, no .40 S&W?), and an available manual safety (the RAP is available with and without a thumb safety). If the compact- and/or subcompact-sized versions of the RAP fix the stupid squared shape of the rear of the grip frame, that would help things out a lot ... although I still don't see myself getting one, simply because it doesn't do anything that the Glocks, M&P's, XD's, or particularly the Sig P250 and P320 don't already do just as well (if not better). Sig similarly dropped the ball on making their .45 ACP only a 10-rounder, and I dunno if they're going to add a thumb safety version to submit the P250/P320 for a bid, but at least their grip frame actually feels comfortable to hold/shoot.

For that matter, I dunno why no one in the military's really considered the Rock Island Armory double-stack 1911's in .45 ACP or 9mm, especially since they're just basically wide-gripped 1911's (14+1 capacity in .45 and 17+1 in 9mm), and there are some units still using the classic 1911 design to this very day, so it's not like it's an all-new design or anything. Heck, my .22 TCM/9mm RIA 1911A2 even fits all of the standard 1911 Government-sized holsters that I have, so there's another cost-saving detail right there - just use the old WWII- through Vietnam-era holsters! :)

To me, the RAP is more a copy of the P320 than it is a ripoff of anything Kel-Tec has done. Of particular note, when you slide the frame out of the grip, the RAP's trigger assembly doesn't jump apart and send springs shooting across the room like my P32 or P11 did the last time I took them apart. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.