New recoil springs from wolff

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kb61751, Oct 28, 2007.

1. kb61751

kb61751 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I just installed the P-32 13 pound springs in my P3-ATs. Pulling the slide back now seems a little harder, and the springs are alot shorter, about maybe 5 coils. I am thinking that the peening problem, from the center spring going solid, will completely dissapear. I did fire it today with different ammo, with the new springs, and it worked perfectly....
    Just thought I would share this with all of you... :D

2. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004

3. kb61751

kb61751 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Wilson, very good review. My main reason for going to the Wolff springs in both of my P3-AT's is becuase the Wolff springs are much shorter, and hence will not ever go solid.
    Thanks.... :D

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I have not seen the wolf springs, but if the fewer numer of coils and the increase in the wire diameter does make the solid lenght of the wolf less than the stock, the nylon washer would then become more of a benificial addition.

I really wish I knew the solid lenght of the wolfs (or if some could supply).  the 13lb rating of the spring is measured with it coil to coil, thus to get the benifit of the increased spring, the space for the spring at full recoil should be made nearly the same as the spring solid dimension.

As i said I wish I knew, but not enough to buy a set myself ;)

For what it is worth, here is some spring measurements from an older post
    ..I measured the spring space available when the slide goes all the way back till it hits the frame
    lenght in the slide's hole 0.250"
    length of the frame's spring groove 0.470"
    less the thichness of guide rod head 0.040"
    space = 0.680"

my inner spring wire is 0.020"
    there are 32 turns
    solid lenght = 0.640"

my outer spring wire is 0.028" (maybe 0.029)
    there are 26 turns
    solid lenght is 0.728 ...

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Here's a pic with new P-3AT springs at the top, Wolf P32 springs in the middle, and well used P-3AT springs at the bottom. Hope it helps...

[​IMG]