Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

New rdb survival coming out

10K views 57 replies 25 participants last post by  Liberty4Ever 
#1 ·
Check the video here

https://youtu.be/X-eveibwmqQ

Being a big fan of pencil barrels I really hope some time in the next few years I can get one for my rdb

#10 ·
Since there is absolutely no mention of them on the official KT site, I hereby declare them prototypes in the wild.
"Unicorns that might reproduce".:rolleyes:
I think it will be renamed: "The California Survivor" since it doesn't have a pistol grip and can legally sell there.:cool:
It's stated in the video....there's one and only ONE prototype.

#11 ·
I love the RDB, but this looks like more of a good thing.

I liked the looks of the RDB-C even though I read many negative comments. I couldn't buy one because it was created for nanny states that don't allow pistol grips (I smell infringement), but I liked the sweeping space gun look of the RDB-C (practical side - less likely to snag), and the Survivor version is essentially the same look.

I was wondering what Kel-Tec was going to be announcing at the 2017 SHOT Show. I was hoping for a 308 version of the RDB, but that would have been a pleasant surprise.

#12 ·
Nutn kept saying how light it was. I'm curious what it weighs, and why?

#14 ·
I THINK the text overlay said 5 pounds 12 ounces, but the writing was small and I had a hard time reading it. It was 5 pounds and something.

I figured they might have shaved 8 ounces with the 16" pencil barrel instead of the 17.3" medium weight barrel, and maybe a couple of ounces by losing the pistol grip. The current RDB is listed as 6.7 pounds, so 5 pounds 12 ounces would be almost a full pound lighter, which is a significant weight savings.

After a long wait I finally got an RDB last summer, and now I want the RDB Survival. :drool:

#17 ·
Options are always good. But maybe I'm the only person here who isn't excited by this configuration. I don't know the official specs, but it seems as if the weight savings are only incremental. I'd rather have a pistol grip. Then, the nail in the coffin for me is you take an average accuracy gun, give it a thinner barrel and make it less accurate. Not for me.

#18 · (Edited)
Then, the nail in the coffin for me is you take an average accuracy gun, give it a thinner barrel and make it less accurate. Not for me.
It will be accurate enough.

I have a 5.56 Saiga AK that is no tack driver (2-4MOA on paper) but will easily hit the center of a 6" steel gong at 100y all day long with M193 ammo.

I also have a pencil barrel AR carbine that will make smaller groups on paper, but that makes no difference to the gong.

I'd imagine the Survival RDB would shoot about the same as a pencil barrel AR.

#20 ·
Options are always good. But maybe I'm the only person here who isn't excited by this configuration. I don't know the official specs, but it seems as if the weight savings are only incremental. I'd rather have a pistol grip. Then, the nail in the coffin for me is you take an average accuracy gun, give it a thinner barrel and make it less accurate. Not for me.
I certainly agree with the philosophy that rifles should be accurate. Normally, I'd be there with you on this, but:

1) In the video, they mentioned that the lower can be swapped for the pistol grip if you like. Kel-Tec cleverly made an inconsequential and indestructible part the serialized part on the RDB for maximum configuration and maintenance.

2) The boys didn't seem to be having much trouble getting hits in the video. Generally, if they could see it, they could hit it. It's not a match rifle but the pencil barrel didn't seem to adversely impact the accuracy compared to the heavier barrel RDB. If so, I suspect the accuracy limits are imposed by variations in chambering and barrel flex with the gas system, and maybe similar issues. Even if there is a slight degradation in accuracy, the RDB Survival is clearly accurate enough for most people's "Philosophy Of Use", to borrow a nutnfancy term.

I'm a fan of pistol grips on rifles like this, but honestly, I'd probably buy the Buck Rogers space gun version of the RDB if it wasn't for the fact that Kel-Tec did this so politicians would allow them to sell in California and that offends my sensibilities.

#21 ·
I just tried 10rd GI-style mags and 10rd PMAGs and 20rd PMAG and 20rd GI in my RDB and they all fit fine. Is there some reason why they wouldn't fit the C model?
Polymer AR-type magazines such as PMags do indeed seat and feed perfectly in SU16 receivers. The problem with 'C' models is that the underfolding stock won't fit over them without widening the stock opening. Metal mags interact with the C stock flawlessly. The Kel-Tec magazine is unique, though. It will not work in ARs. I'm wondering if the RDB is too different to accept them as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.