New purchased P3AT!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ktowner, May 13, 2010.

1. ktowner

ktowner New Member

May 13, 2010
    Hi Everyone!!

I recently purchased a new to me P3AT at a local gun store after visiting this website and seeing nutinfancy's review on it.  I figured I couldn't go wrong with a lifetime warranty and I like trying different gun brands out.  Here is a link of a picture of it since I can't attach photos yet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/__Gw4Yd-IVvHLMKa3ix9Fw?feat=directlink

Once I purchased the gun I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning with some break free and made sure it was nicely lubed.  I took it out shooting the next day and was only able to fire off 2 shots due to issues with the hammer.  The store said they never had issues like this before, however I can see some users here have the same problem that have me concerned.  The gun shops gunsmith checked some pin on the trigger and was unable to figure out was wrong and they shipped the gun to KT for warranty work.  Anyone have similiar problems that had them resolved?

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Welcome to KTOG.

Can you tell us more? What kind of hammer issue?

3. ktowner

ktowner New Member

May 13, 2010

Well it seems as if the hammer isn't engaging the firing pin when the trigger is pulled. When dry firing you can pretty much keep pulling the trigger all day with out pulling the slide. The hammer seems to be returning to the same position after being fired. I was able to fire two shots when I was testing it, it almost seems like russian roulette except with an auto.

4. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I had the EXACT same problem (video of my problem here [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_dxE3dbv0[/ame]). Took it to a gunsmith who tore it all down and couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they sent it back to KT. Been 5 weeks now with no gun :(

5. ktowner

ktowner New Member

May 13, 2010
    The video in your post is definitely what I'm experiencing. The guys at the gun shop were all taking turns with the gun and it would happen with some and others not, however with me it was almost everytime. The gunsmith was unable to replicate the issue but did see random malfunctions with different people. He field stripped it and put it back together and then boom he started experiencing the issue.

6. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Yeah, on certain days I could make the problem happen on command, other times it would be random. Some friends could put 3 clips through it no problems, other buddies couldn't get 1 round to fire. Weird that no one can explain it, Kel-Tec said they will be sending me a fixed one next week (6 weeks of wait time total).

7. DeaconDawg

DeaconDawg New Member

May 16, 2010
  8. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    You "had" the same problem, implying you fixed it? If so how?

9. ktowner

ktowner New Member

May 13, 2010
    I finally got my P3AT back from the gun store I bought it from. The gun store I purchased the gun at had sent it in to Kel tec for issues of the hammer not engaging the firing pin. The gun took little over a month to be returned with a paper stating they polished the feed ramp and replaced internal parts. I tested it with a few dry fires in the gun store to make sure the gun did not still have issues. I can tell right away the gun appears to have been fixed but I'm going to the range tomorrow to verify that its no longer a lemon.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    thanks for the update.

I missed your original posting about this trigger problem...I did recall bryank's posting.

I just wish there was a definate discription of the problem and correction

maybe yours is corrected