Featured New PMR30 Range Report

Discussion in 'PMR-30' started by steve76, Jul 30, 2017.

1. steve76

steve76 Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Bullhead City, AZ.
    After a long time waiting, finally got a PMR30. Took it to the range couple days ago. Shot about 100 rounds CCI FMJ 40 gr. Shot very accurate groups at 7 meters. A little higher than normal groups on target but will have to get used to a little different site alignment than I normally use. Out of the 100 rounds, had 3 failures to feed from the magazine. Will be trying some different ammo and give time for break in. Nice little handgun. I like the way it does shoot but not my everyday carry choice right now until I can get 100% reliability if possible. Everyday carry for me has been Glock 30s which is a .45 slim model that I load 9+1 capacity and is 100% reliable.

2. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Congrats on the new purchase.

A few suggestions. First make sure you are loading the mags properly. This is one of the biggest issues with feed issues (rim lock). Also, if you get a failure to feed that hangs angled up, check the next round too. When the slide slams against the round and it does not feed, the rim of the round that did not feed tends to dent the next round which can cause that one to not feed or extract properly, and then you end up with multiple failures due to the first one.

And lastly, if it doesn't clear up on it's own after a bit of break in, you may want to do a little work on the barrel. I just slightly rounded the bottom edge of the chamber and polished the feed ramp. Have not had a feed issue since

[​IMG]

850sub likes this.

3. steve76

steve76 Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Bullhead City, AZ.
    Poppo, thanks for the tips.

4. B-rad76

B-rad76 New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    I waited for a loooong time to get the PMR. Bought it in May when the price was right, shot it today and to say it in the fewest words possible.....I'm ****ed. 50 rounds of CCI and, literally, 20 fired. 30 failures. Absolute piece of junk. Not a happy kel tec owner.

5. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Can you explain exactly what type of failures you had? Did you clean and lube the gun first? Are you sure you followed the directions for loading mags?

6. B-rad76

B-rad76 New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Yes. Cleaned. Lubed. Brand new of course. Primer strikes on all rounds. Rounds that fired extracted and launched about 5 yards beautifully. Here's a photo of three of the failures.

Brand

Attached Files:

7. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    There have been some reports of firing pins breaking. There are some youtube videos that show how to check it.

But I notice some dents on the cases (not the rims). How are you loading the rounds in the mag? For troubleshooting purposes, you may want to try loading only 15 to see if those dents are being cause by pushing too hard while loading a full mag. It could be causing the rounds not to seat properly in the chamber and causing a light strike.

8. B-rad76

B-rad76 New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    I pushed down, and then back and tapped every few rounds. Loaded 10 first mag, then 20 and 20. If it's a broken firing pin in a brand new firearm, Needless to say I'll be giving Kel Trc a call. Never had any issues with a P3AT that I carry every day.....today was quite the bummer.

9. steve76

steve76 Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Bullhead City, AZ.
    Mine new out of the box, did not field strip and clean. Only ran bore snake through it. Used some old CCI brass case ammo. Fired 100 rounds, had 3 FTF from mag. I since took home, stripped and cleaned, oiled. Ordered some new nickel plated Armscor ammo. Reason I got nickel plated is because I have used it in my other carry guns and IMO, compared to brass, has better feed qualities. Will probably also polish feed ramp and check with jewelers loop for any small burrs and if any will clean them up. Other than that at the range, good groups, fairly crisp trigger and reset. Like it but for everyday carry, I'd have to think about that even after I get 100% reliability. Reason? May be finicky daily carry weapon.

10. rogue66

rogue66 Member

Jul 28, 2016
    That was pretty much my start with the PMR. I tried all of the "fixes" online and never could get it to stop with the FTF. Sent it back to Kel-Tec and it's awesome now.

I have a friend that bought one after I did and his has been 100% reliable out of the box. Based on looking at mine and his before it was sent back and looking at them now, mine was an older model.

There are some updates that are not advertised.

11. B-rad76

B-rad76 New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    I shot em an email yesterday, so hoping to get a response this week. A
    Co-worker has one and she only had a few hiccups first 100 or so which is acceptable for break in and rimfire. 50% failure rate is just plain ridiculous for a brand new firearm. Hoping it works out....