Featured new pmr 30 owner failure to extract

Discussion in 'PMR-30' started by sm601, Dec 1, 2010.

1. sm601

sm601 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    just purchased a PMR 30 and waited a while for this gun.have had some failure to extract
    and after reading some posts here,where others had experienced the same problem got
    in touch w/ keltec today and they said one customer had his extractor replaced but still
    had a problem. mentioned i could send it in for service but don't like the down time .

one post here suggested having the chamber polished.would appreciate any feed back
    ammo used cci maxi mag,and hornady v max. my intention was to put nothing but the
    v max for defense cause it's a nasty round as many of you know.super cool gun to
    shoot with accuracy and light weight,would just like to get this thing tuned right .

thanks

Steve

2. Including mine, there has been a few that had a failure to extract issue, and the chambers appeared to be parkerized. Polishing the chamber fixed mine, and from what I understand fixed those others as well. Mine now runs 99% on CCI Maxi-Mags. Have never had the Hornady V-Max rounds, so I couldn't comment on those.

Polishing the chamber is as simple as chucking a polishing bit of appropriate size into a dremel, using some polish, and working it until it's smooth. Only test firing after will tell for sure, but you can move a round around inside the chamber to feel for smoothness.

3. BMcD

BMcD New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I would try to polish the the chamber and hand cycle a bunch of rounds. Also make sure you load the mag right. I had troble with mine at first but once I loaded the mag like the book says have had no problems. And the hornady V-max works good in mine. Good Luck.

4. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
    I own a PMR 30. Out of 500 rounds I was only able to successfully run 3 30 round mags without malfunction (FTF/FTE.) The pistol seemed to get better after break-in (250 rounds) then decided to consistently FTE. It will consistently leave spent case in the chamber.

The extractors are not grabbing the case correctly.

Here is how to test:
    1st you can load mag with 2-3 rounds and manually cycle the slide with the safety engaged. If the slide doesn't consistently extract you have a problem.
    2nd you can remove the slide, insert a spent case and manually pull barrel open. If the slide does not extract the case you have a problem.
    3rd you can remove the guide rod and spring and the barrel block. Insert a round in the barrel and slide the barrel back and forth against the slide and extractor arms. If the round does not firmly catch in the extractor arms you have a problem.

Either the extractor arms are too short or the slide to extractor alignment is off. Either way, Kel Tec will need to fix. Most likely a slide replacement.

Attached Files:

5. edorfox

edorfox New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    If it worked before and doesn't now, best bet is powder residue or carbon gunk in both of the extractor slots in the slide AND cutouts on the barrel. Also suspect a dirty chamber causing the cases to stick after firing. If you have the skills, remove the extractors from the slide and clean and lube the slot/spring, clean out the barrel's extractor cut and thoroughly clean the chamber, reassemble a try again. After than and still FTE...I don't know, perhaps a trip back would be in order.

Ed

PS Welcome and way to go on the search function...7 year old thread!! :)

6. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  7. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
  8. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
  9. rogue66

rogue66 Member

Jul 28, 2016
    I had this problem with mine. Now it will pull out the round and flip it out no matter how slowly you rack the slide.

Shoots flawlessly.

Send it back. That problem can be fixed.

10. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    You said it is new, but from the picture you posted it does not appear to have that metal "shroud" (whatever it's called) that covers the top of the breech that was added a while back. It also looks like your firing pin is sticking out and preventing the extractors from grabbing the case.

11. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
    That is not the firing pin. It is the firing pin guide. It sits right above the firing pin and the extension is intended for hold-off for proper headspace. The barrel has the same extension at the bottom of the head. I sent it back. If there was a design change the service department can fix.

12. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    After looking more closely at mine, I do see that under that shroud.

Here is what mine looks like
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, all of the picture links are dead in the thread that shows all of the changes that have been made over the years.

13. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
    If you take out the 4 screws that hold the shroud and remove the shroud you'll see the guide/hold-off. It is necessary to maintain proper headspace and prevent discharge without the trigger being pulled.

I would file it and the barrel relief if the headspace wasn't affected.

14. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    I noted that I saw the "guide" under mine. I was simply pointing out that it looks like yours may be a little older version if the should does not cover the breech more like mine does.

Not sure why you would file anything. The "guide" never touches the case rim and I don't see how it has any effect on extraction. But then again, mine has no problems so......

15. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
    Received repaired from KelTec.
    Service repair work order notes:

1) Replaced slide, firing pin and rim support block. Serviced extractors and barrel.
    2) Replaced barrel
    3) Polished feed ramp and chamber lip
    4) Replaced internal parts
    5) Chamber serviced

I noticed the rim support block is significantly wider and now shrouds the shell case. I have yet had time to test but will post a follow up after I do.

Since then, I purchased a 2nd PMR for my wife since she liked mine so much when it functioned reliably. I noticed hers has the same original narrow rim support/block. After about 60 rounds of break-in it fed reliably 4 full mags. I noticed the bottom of the barrel at the breech seems to be marring just like the 1st PMR. I am confident it will also need to go back to KelTec for what I'll coin "Gen 3 retrofit improvements."

This will most likely be required in order to bring the headspace relief back into spec and return reliability. It seems to me the extractor length and elevation position in relation to the headspace does not have enough tolerance for error and is too sensitive and can easily get out of spec.

16. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    How about posting some pictures of both so others can see the difference.

17. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
    1st 2 pics are the older PMR with upgrades. The 2nd 2 are the newer PMR without the upgrades. I marked the outlines of the extractors and the rim support blocks.

I clean often and thoroughly. I use Mill-Comm TW25B Synthetic grease as you can see in the pics.
    My choice of ammunition is the reliable and clean Winchester 40gr FMJ.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  18. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Interesting. Mine looks like your second pictures and I have had zero problems with the last 1400 rounds I have shot. Also no marring of the barrel. Got a picture of that? However, I did slightly bevel the bottom of the chamber entrance to prevent the case rims from hanging on it.

Attached Files:

ktpmr30 likes this.
  19. ktpmr30

ktpmr30 New Member

May 18, 2017
    The marring is actually on the slide. Circled in orange.

20. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Ok. I thought your earlier post said barrel. But in any case mine does not have peening like that. Just what I would consider normal contact marks. Actually after looking at your picture again, that looks like it's just the finish flaking off the breech face. Mine has none left as I scrub it with a bronze brush when I clean it and it's pretty much just bare metal now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    ktpmr30 likes this.