Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a pf 9 just before easter and finally to it for a tryout. I am not that good of a shoot to begin with but it seemed to be shooting really low like about twelve inches i am hoping i just need a little more practice, i was shooting 115 grain wwb and out of about 100 shots had 3 ftf/fte's think those were due to limp wristing really like the gun and understand what it was designed for. If i want to do a lot of shooting my cz2075 will do that.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I think after shooting it a little more the point of impact will get higher , alot of this guns do not like wwb , most have better luck with the federal 115 gr from walley world

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think after shooting it a little more the point of impact will get higher , alot of this guns do not like wwb , most have better luck with the federal 115 gr from walley world
Totally agree, but that ammo is damn dirty. Fortunately, I like to clean them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

As far as ammo goes, I've shot 150 rounds of Federal Champion 115 gr FMJ through my PF9 and never had an issue. PMC standard pressure 115 gr is also really good and, I'm told, cleaner. However, stay far away from Remington UMC 115 gr FMJ, it is really dirty and after only 10 to 12 rounds, I start having failure to feed, failure to eject and failure to fire issues.

For SD ammo, I use Hornady Critical Defense FTX 115 gr standard pressure. Works great, no issues, but very expensive.

You said you are not that good of a shot, do you mind some advise? I'm no expert but here is what the experts say for accurate, self defense shooting:
  • Focus on your front sight. Not the target and not your rear sight.
  • Grip your pistol high (cram the web between your thumb and forefinger under the dove tail). This helps control recoil.
  • grip your pistol as hard or harder than you would a hammer to prevent "milking"
  • The trigger sould be resting on the first joint of your finger, not he tip of your finder - fine motor skills go out the door in a fight or flight situation.
  • smoothly roll the trigger back until it fires (prevents jerking the gun left or right)

These tips come from Massad Ayoob, 33 year police veteran and prolific gun/shooting/SD writer. Here is a link to his books on Amazon if you are interested (not an affiliate link):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=massad+ayoob&sprefix=massad+ay%2Cstripbooks%2C191

I get very good results following these guidelines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts